Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinchillas!

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me a bit about them? Things like:
    • Housing
    • Diet
    • Lifespan
    • Cost
    Are they suitable as pets for children?

TIA :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Housing
    As big as possible and with as small gaps in it as possible as they tend to rikochet off the sides of cages so needs to be of a type they can't catch their leg in. Mine had free access to the whole house most of the time though as long as I was home

Diet
    Chinchilla pellets are better than the museli type, rolled porridge oats for treats

Lifespan
    15 - 20 years

Cost
    Minimal after initial setup costs

Are they suitable as pets for children?
    No way, definately not for under 10s, and not interesting enough for over 10s :rolleyes:

Chinchilla's can't be picked up and cuddled, they may decide to come and sit on you but thats their perogative. The general rule is the more you ignore them the more interesting you are to them.

I miss my Chillas :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

BTW initial costs depend how mental you are :rolleyes:, my costs included chinchilla proofing the whole house, roof to floor cat trees, a sandpit instead of a dust bath etc. :rolleyes:

One of my babies :

picture.php?albumid=1088&pictureid=5532

• Registered Users Posts: 11 laurat

i have 14 chins and my cousins are 8 and 4 and there realy good with them when i told them how to handle them theres only certain ones they can hold it realy depends on the personality of the chinchilla and if the kid will get bord... ferrets mite be a good idea they chase strings and play and are more fun i have two but would only trust the male with a kid but the female one is so gentle

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

One of my babies :

pic

awww

laurat wrote: »
    i have 14 chins

:eek:

We only have one and can't believe the mess he makes :D 14 must be pretty epic to try and deal with.

ha its not too bad but we need to keep a hoover constintly in there room which helps.. the big clean out once a week is a nightmare takes hours atleast they dont smell.. but there worth it... my 14 is now 18 two girls gave birth :)

• Advertisement

Any pics?

Here's our little guy, Elmo is his name.

SAM_0413.jpg
    SAM_0421.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thanks everyone for the help so far!:D I've found it very useful....

I love the pics! They look so cute, don't they?

i thought it would be a bit to much if i posted the lot :P
    i duno how ta get the pictures up properly

laurat wrote: »
    i duno how ta get the pictures up properly

if you click on the attachement and open it and paste in the url

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=147355&d=1297293170

and put

[img ][/img ] around it

attachment.php?attachmentid=147355&d=1297293170 but without the space between G and ].

Its massive so not going to put it up

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kimmyt1987

[img ][/img]35608_1762587227621_1327312546_1944212_2459487_n.jpg

167841_1750471124726_1327312546_1913396_6336808_n.jpg

Im new to owning Chinnies,
    fell in love with little Gizmo who was abandoned by her mum.
    As the runt of the litter and having a cleft lip she was taken away and hand fed daily. I had to have her, spent a small fortune on getting a cage and all the bits and bobs she would need. I ended up coming back two months later to buy her big sis who amazingly hadnt been sold yet. They have now been reunited and are two happy, healthy little monsters! They are both very different personality wise, Gizmo is very happy to climb on your hands and arms when you approach the cage whereas Dib is very skittish. Once they got used to being let out in a Chinnie proof bathroom they were happy enough to explore a little more and generally climb up onto my head and shoulders for a better view of their playspace! :D

Not really a kids pet as they generally don't like being handled too much but they are such amazing little characters if you are willing to put up with their chewing and mischief natures!

• Advertisement

nice little girls :)

Elmo went to the vet the other day and turns out he's actually a lady.
    have to come up with a new name now...

Ha... that happend to me the first two i got the pet shop told me they were boys it was a boy and a girl... did you get yours from a petshop?

yes, Petstop in Carrickmines after we went up to have a look at the fish :rolleyes:

She's called Daisy now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

yes, Petstop in Carrickmines after we went up to have a look at the fish :rolleyes:

She's called Daisy now :)

ot I know but there is better places to be getting fish other than Pet Stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I saw these in Petmania yesterday and fell in love :rolleyes: It might end up on my pet list :)

godtabh wrote: »
    ot I know but there is better places to be getting fish other than Pet Stop

Yes I discovered that fairly quickly. Only went up as I only found out it was there at the time, had a look at the fish, a lot of which didn't look too good. I wouldn't buy fish up there but it's still the handiest place for food and bits for me.

Advertisement