Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London: 7 degrees and light snow!?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I dont think snow is possible above 4 degrees, but i could be wrong . .

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

http://www.sciencebits.com/SnowAboveFreezing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It is but only in coleraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

the link has humidity at 93% so not a chance

Yea the more humid it is to closer the dewpoints will be to the actual temperatures, if humidty is low dew points cam remain blow zero if temps are relatively high, allowing snow to be possible. But if DP's go above 0 well then snow is practically impossible.

I wonder what the max temp is where you can have dew points below 0, i presume this would be most easily achieved ironically in a desert where the humidity is close to 0%

EDIT:i came up with a good idea for making our snow less marginal. Here it is, in marginal snow events if we all go down to the plant hire store and rent a dehumidifier and turn them all on out in our back garden we might be able to 'dry' out the air and lower the Dewpoints!:D:D Whose with me?

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Yea the more humid it is to closer the dewpoints will be to the actual temperatures, if humidty is low dew points cam remain blow zero if temps are relatively high, allowing snow to be possible. But if DP's go above 0 well then snow is practically impossible.

I wonder what the max temp is where you can have dew points below 0, i presume this would be most easily achieved ironically in a desert where the humidity is close to 0%

I think i saw dubai at 30 degrees with a negative DP over the summer, but it could have been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,351 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I recorded snow once at 42 deg F, when I was a teenaged weather observer. If the weather system is not a very powerful one, I think you can get snow reaching the ground instead of melting, due to a lack of mixing above the surface. I don't recall much about the weather system but from the looks of the map for the date it was just a weak frontal wave in a zonal flow. If snow were to continue falling at those temperatures for more than a few minutes, it would either change to rain or cool the surface layers to something more hospitable for snow to continue.

I do remember being surprised to see snow when it felt mild and was reading above 40 degrees (this was back in the days before Canada switched to the metric system).

We have melting snow here today with a temperature of about 3 C.

I think i saw dubai at 30 degrees with a negative DP over the summer, but it could have been a mistake.

But i suppose the snow flake has to be created in temps under 0c in 30 degrees that means it would have to fall from 15000ft.

Plus in humidity that low there would be no precip and even if there was the evaporation resulting from the low humidity means the flake wouldn't last a 100m fall.

But i suppose the snow flake has to be created in temps under 0c in 30 degrees that means it would have to fall from 15000ft.

Plus in humidity that low there would be no precip and even if there was the evaporation resulting from the low humidity means the flake wouldn't last a 100m fall.

That probably explains why the UAE isnt famous for its July blizzards . .:P

since humidity is at 100% when dew point=temperature, then I think at 10C if you had 0% humidity that is the top temp you get snow
    theoretically I mean!

• Advertisement

That probably explains why the UAE isnt famous for its July blizzards . .:P

LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

well austrailia had 11" of snow in the middle of summer on 22 of dec

jimmy.d wrote: »

At what altitude?

At what altitude?
    i dont no there was a link to it on here about a week ago

what part of Austrailia? what temperature?

i dont no there was a link to it on here about a week ago

Ah I remember it now, i might be wrong but i think there is ski resorts in the South-East of the country, it could have been up there(down there)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The atmosphere though is full of layers. Just because the dp on the ground appears marginal it may not be so higher up.
    I am sure there are exterme events where there is a thin lower warm airmass overlaid with a thick cold one and snow can punch though even at surprisingly higher ground temperatures. I'm guess this happens in large continental areas in late spring where there is powerful sun able to heat lower air levels with big cold air masses splashing over occasionally. Just speculating.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It was mainly high altitude ski resorts, which are more likely to have snow that dubai is out in the desert.

although they have an indoor ski resort in dubai with snow machine . . .a giant freezer basically that costs an absolute fortune to run. :)

It was mainly high altitude ski resorts, which are more likely to have snow that dubai is out in the desert.

although they have an indoor ski resort in dubai with snow machine . . .a giant freezer basically that costs an absolute fortune to run. :)

You cant put a price on snow tho:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I had snow falling at 5.6c today , see the current conditions thread.

Advertisement