Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Real Chipper in Wexford Town

Options
  • 05-01-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I recently had a discussion "Row" with some work mates about the best real chipper in Wexford. By real I mean Italian style. Real chips, battered stuff etc. No Big Macs, Burger Macs, abra.. etc.

Let me know from the following only: Score 1 - 7

A. Premier - Main street
    B. Cafollas - Thomas Clake pl.
    C. Mangans - The Faythe
    D. Sharky's - Church Lane (supervalu carpark)
    E. Macaris - Clonard Village
    F. Tony and Tino's - Lidl neighborhood centre
    G. Fusciardi's - Redmond sq

My Score is: E - 1, B - 2, C - 3, F - 4, D - 5, A - 6, G - 7.:D

Which is the Best real Chipper in Wexford Town 78 votes

Premier
    0%
    Cafollas
    50%
    jdShamoZhaneRadioRetrolilmissprincessCacobobby wadeMahatma coatbazzer06FergalitymrmeindlDinkieBendihorsewonderwormannie_m087dannyboy00011000adamski8evercloserunionspyderski 39 votes
    Mangans
    20%
    OzziemarathontSt SenanAlaskaFoxChloroplastLedgersouthofnowhereoldyouthling-zingFOXHUNTER1stan99AlfreadoCorvobrijaydownsouthStephen15 16 votes
    Macaris
    1%
    pablo-jericho 1 vote
    Sharkeys
    7%
    chiurceTheChevronBig Vernlaois gaelJimmustardwallvicwatson 6 votes
    Tony and Tino's
    12%
    smodgleyroad_highheathersonlineMurtinhosilverwex1966marlie2005boscoroxxbrimalBuboBubo 10 votes
    Fusciardis
    7%
    KaceJakmeehanDarkglassesMrSausagefairviewcleanTengtooltom 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Mangans
    Wouldnt class any of those chippers accept cafollas and the premier.

to me :

A. Premier - Main street - a chipper thats well established, real cut potatoes but absolutely overdosed in grease

B. Cafollas - Thomas Clake pl. - best chipper in ireland , pure win.

C. Mangans - The Faythe - gone a bit fast food esqe imo

D. Sharky's - Church Lane (supervalu carpark) - owned by one of the fortune family, who owns burger mac, chips are rank, overpriced, typical fast food stuff

E. Macaris - Clonard Village - never heard of em or tried em

F. Tony and Tino's - Lidl neighborhood centre - i wouldn't class em as a chipper either, id put em in the same boat as sharkys only better.

G. Fusciardi's - Redmond sq - same as above only worse

cafollas is the only real chipper in wexford at the moment, before that we had the almighty Ger Graces chipper in bride street. RIP.

needless to say who i voted for :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Sharkeys
    Macaris for me with Cafollas a close second...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Cafollas
    i wouldnt call sharkeys a real chipper either... its more of a restuarant chipper bistro guising as a real chipper.. you also forgot about waldo's in kennedy park which used to be the premier as well which is very nice and also a real chipper newly opened in talbot green as well and also the old chipper pomme frite or whatever its called now in kennedy park by the mayflower.... you also have a chipper in ashfield in the centre up there .....

i reccon premier or waldo's (same distributer) so same stuff basically... caffola's has gone downhill ... especially with its rissoles....

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Cafollas
    I'm hungry and homesick now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Cafollas
    Premier for me... the father (who is originally from Wexford town) used to bring me in on a Saturday when I was a young lad and we'd be down from Enniscorthy for the day.

I've heard people say its very greasy but I was in there with herself recently and we had chips, batter sausages and a couple of rissoles and they were absolutely perfect... no excess grease at all... lovely chips.

The other half is from Wexford town... she loves the way you get a free scoop of chips in Enniscorthy when you buy a few batter sausages or the like... she believes that the other chippers around Wexford should take note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Cafollas
    Agree with jpb re. the Premier, not grease-ridden at all. Chips to die for and their rissoles are legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

any1 know does any them provide party food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Sharkeys
    Macari's is class. Defo the best. A bit out of the way so not many people would have tried them, but it is top chipper food.

Im with the Premier Greasy brigade. The place is way OTT with the grease. I always feel a little uncomfortable after eating there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I know it's not Wexford town, but the chipper in Kilmore Quay is flippin amazing, you wont get better fish anywhere, and chips are to die for:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Cafollas
    i wouldnt call sharkeys a real chipper either... its more of a restuarant chipper bistro guising as a real chipper.. you also forgot about waldo's in kennedy park which used to be the premier as well which is very nice and also a real chipper newly opened in talbot green as well and also the old chipper pomme frite or whatever its called now in kennedy park by the mayflower.... you also have a chipper in ashfield in the centre up there .....

i reccon premier or waldo's (same distributer) so same stuff basically... caffola's has gone downhill ... especially with its rissoles....
    those rissoles were always rank!

• Advertisement

joes girls wrote: »
    I know it's not Wexford town, but the chipper in Kilmore Quay is flippin amazing, you wont get better fish anywhere, and chips are to die for:)

Saltees Take Away. Best chipper in Ireland I would have thought :)

Cafollas
    Had the 'Fresh Cod Meal' (Cod, Chips, Mushy Peas & Coke) in Sharkey's a few weeks back and it was absolutley lovely... cod was huge, chips and peas were really good. Had it again last week and it was less inspiring... cod was smaller, didn't taste as good, chips a bit blander. Yer man with the baldy head isn't the most pleasant but the girls that work there are very nice.
    Saltees Take Away

Tried the Lemon Sole, the Monkfish Goujons and the Beer Battered Haddock down there a few weeks back. The Lemon Sole was unbelievably good... mouth watering now as I think back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WallyO

Cafollas
    Deadly chipper.Never be as good as the days of Johnnie Walker though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Cafollas
    The Cod Goujons are lovely in "The Saltees" and the real chips are great. I hear a lot of people raving about the chipper in Oylegate. Havn't tried it but am going to give it a go the next time i'm passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Mangans
    The Premier has gone down hill a bit I think, and everything kind of tastes the same from there sometimes. Is it all cooked in the same oil or what? Do they even try to drain the excess grease before putting them under the light?

Caffolla's is top class, always has been.

Haven't tried Macari's but I will now with the various recommendations on here already.

I know it falls outside the criteria, but Burger Mac's chicken fillet burgers should be up for some kind of award. Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 downsouth

Mangans
    The Premier is still living off the hype, Cafolla's is by far the best.

On another note when you fall out of The Stores do you head for Abra or Burger Macs. Always Abra for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Having left Wexford 20 years ago im delighted to see the Premier and caffolas are still doing well. My Dad was a big fan of Cafollas but i was the typical schoolboy down to the premier on fridays for a kiddy box and then into dillons, good times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sharkeys
    caffolas are still doing well

Original owners have leased it to, I think, Romanian people, not as good as it used to be, even when the Italians had it it started going down hill, everything is now bought it and just cooked on premises, I hate that food, orefer fish to be battered and cooked on premises, everywhere you go in town the burgers are all the same, bought in and taste the same, yak !

Sharkeys
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Original owners have leased it to, I think, Romanian people, not as good as it used to be, even when the Italians had it it started going down hill, everything is now bought it and just cooked on premises, I hate that food, orefer fish to be battered and cooked on premises, everywhere you go in town the burgers are all the same, bought in and taste the same, yak !
    Maccari's batter their own fish, I seen them do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sharkeys
    Maccari's batter their own fish, I seen them do it.

They batter it, par fry it, and then set it aside/keep it to reheat later, they don't batter it fresh and cook it to order.

• Advertisement

Cafollas
    You'd half to laugh in most chippers -

'Sea Fresh' Cod - Which was probably battered and frozen 18 months ago. Sea Fresh my arse.

'Smoked' Cod - injected with orange liquid smoke crap.

The only really honest fish on the menu is the 'Shquare Cod'... and that's rectangular.

Can't understand how seafood isn't booming in Wexford and why we don't have more chippers doing freshly battered fish with a 'fish' of the day offer using something other than Cod/Coley/Haddock.

Great to see some variety down in the Kilmore Chipper... Monk Fish and Lemon Sole... delicious.

On another note - Fish Mongers in Enniscorthy is way overpriced. €12 a kg for cod... costs about €9 in Mylers. Mylers a great fish mongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

They batter it, par fry it, and then set it aside/keep it to reheat later, they don't batter it fresh and cook it to order.

Try out the fish in Trappatoni's in Monck street if you want fresh fish cooked to order. Must say i think it's the best fish i've had in town at least. I know there's better down in Kilmore.

Sharkeys
    You're right there. I was making the point that it wasn't bought in frozen in boxes Donegal Catch style.

Freshly battered fresh fish would be a dream.

Mangans
    Well we were praising Macari's but only last night I was in Uncle Sams and have to say it was cracking. They are both similar chippers so we cant exclude em really.

The burgers from Uncies are unreal.

Sharkeys
    Well we were praising Macari's but only last night I was in Uncle Sams and have to say it was cracking. They are both similar chippers so we cant exclude em really.

The burgers from Uncies are unreal.
    Snap

Got a quarter pounder for there yesterday and it was delicious. Chips only average though.

Mangans
    TheChevron wrote: »
    Snap

Got a quarter pounder for there yesterday and it was delicious. Chips only average though.

Yeah most of the other stuff aint great (curry chips etc are ok) but I wouldnt try the fish or anything

Advertisement