Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bassist looking to form band Dublin(something original and maybe a little bit heavy)

Options
  • 05-01-2011 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Band Members Wanted For New Band

Band Genre - Rock/Metal/Stoner/Grunge/Blues/Doom etc.
    Band Location - Dublin City
    Influences - Here we go again with influences. These should only be taken as a guide to the type of music I listen to and not a list of bands I want to imitate. I like all types of good music. I listen to everything from Neil Young to The Pixies to Pink Floyd to Massive Attack to The Dead Kennedys.
    But here's a few bands that represent my current listening habits:
    Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Down, Pentagram, Clutch, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Sleep, Witchcraft, Lynyrd Skynyrd(pre plane crash), Metallica(early), Kyuss, Tool, Machine Head(The Blackening), Pearl Jam, Guns 'N' Roses and the list goes on.
    Positions Available - Looking for guitars,drums and vocals.
    Desired Age Range - I'm 27 so in or around a similar age would be good but enthusiasm and commitment are more important.
    Additional Info - Right, looking for people who generally have a similar interest and taste in music. Preferably would like to practice somewhere around the city centre. Would like to practice on a regular basis, once a week minimum, preferably more once we get going. Not too bothered what level of playing your at once you think you can play sufficiently for the purposes of the band. Probably start off with a few covers and then take it from there. Enthusiasm and commitment are the most important things and obviously it should be a bit of fun as well. I don't buy into this thing that band mates shouldn't hang out and it's sufficient to just get together once a week for practice(which most people seem to want). I want to start something fresh which requires time and collaboration on ideas.
    Anyway, I know that's a bit of a long winded post :D but I've been trying to get something going for a while so I'm hoping more information will help get more suitable replys.

Oh, also here's a link to a quick sample of my playing and if your computers anything like my laptop you may need to listen through headphones:

http://soundcloud.com/man-in-the-box/space-cadet-cover

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Man In The Box

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Bump Guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I like your influences, but your playing is sloppy & out of time. It also shows nothing about what you actually sound like yourself - you played a cover version through an octave pedal for 30 secs - this tells me nothing about your own composing abilities. What exactly was that sample supposed to achieve?

Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Stone UR ock

Hey Forest Master is it. I guess you must be of the same lineage as Robin of Loxely then. You know your reply to Man in the box was uncalled for.

If you've got nothing constructive to say, zip it. Unless you call the musings of a premenstrual 13 year old girl, constructive.

I guess this is enough to get me Stevie Gerrarded by the man upstairs ( Just a yellow card please Mr. Moderator ,Sir)

It's this sort of attitude that has poisoned grass roots Irish Music for decades and really winds me up.

On your Donkey Loxely boy.

Hey Forest Master is it. I guess you must be of the same lineage as Robin of Loxely then. You know your reply to Man in the box was uncalled for.

If you've got nothing constructive to say, zip it. Unless you call the musings of a premenstrual 13 year old girl, constructive.

I guess this is enough to get me Stevie Gerrarded by the man upstairs ( Just a yellow card please Mr. Moderator ,Sir)

It's this sort of attitude that has poisoned grass roots Irish Music for decades and really winds me up.

On your Donkey Loxely boy.

Eh, what? :confused: My post was constructive, as well as an accurate and fair assessment of his playing, based on the sample HE posted. He posted a topic looking for musicians - I'm a guitarist, who happens to be looking for a bass player. I questioned the reason he posted 30 secs of a cover version as a sample of his ability, when it shows nothing of his own personal style or composing ability - and when looking to compose original material, this is vital.
    I also pointed out that his timing is off - which it is - this isn't subjective - it's a fact - most of his fills were sloppy and out of time.
    I was polite and didn't make any personal attacks on the OP - I stated facts, and asked what his motives were to post the sample he did - i.e. what exactly was it supposed to show prospective band members.

Get a grip there, pal.
    If you've got nothing constructive to say, zip it.

Exactly. In your own words, mate. My post was constructive - yours is trolling.
    Robin of Loxely
    Stevie Gerrarded
    On your Donkey Loxely boy
    Can't decipher what you're trying to say here, but it does speak volumes for your aptitude.

• Advertisement

I guess if you have a Victor Meldrew complex you would think like that. A PM wouldn't have gone amiss, Slating a guy for trying to achieve something and get up and make something happen is not what I'd call constructive.

My grip is strong and true,thanks. Trolling , I wasn't. I happened to be in the neighbourhood and did the decent thing and PM'd MITB.

I guess humour and word play won't be found in your quiver ,eh Loxely Boy ??

Robin of Loxely aka Robin Hood - Maybe you should read a book sometime - A play on Forest Master

Stevie Gerrarded - Slang for Red Carded/ sent off, as what transpired in todays FA Cup 3rd round clash between Man Utd and Liverpool to said Captain Fantastic. Or blocked by the Mods if you prefer

On your Donkey Loxely boy - Get out of here Forest Master

I'd say that my aptitude (Natural ability to acquire knowledge or skill) is not in question here.

Yoh Man in the Box. I bet you never even dreamed you'd start this sort of thread when looking for like minded Muso's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I like your influences, but your playing is sloppy & out of time. It also shows nothing about what you actually sound like yourself - you played a cover version through an octave pedal for 30 secs - this tells me nothing about your own composing abilities. What exactly was that sample supposed to achieve?

Pity.

^ Pity? Are you drunk?? You've demeaned this guy for no reason. If this post doesnt do it for you then why dont you move a long? There is no space for your pity here. If you want to be embracive and persue playing with him then be supportive, show a more friendly curiousity instead of coming across as a pious feck. Thanks, and we know your not a bad lad.

guitarzero wrote: »
    ^ Pity?

I'm not "pitying" him - I'm saying it's a pity he wasn't good at bass, because his post sounded promising.
    Loxely
    Locksley.
    You've demeaned this guy for no reason.

I didn't demean him. I stated a fact re his playing.

Answer me this: if you're looking for band members, and the sole purpose of posting a sample of your playing is to show them what YOU can do, and give them a taste of your personal style - i.e. the type of composing and playing you'll be contributing to the band/project....then why would you post a 30sec sample of a cover, using an octave pedal, that's out of time? How does that show anyone what you're capable of writing or contributing to an original project? After listening to his sample, I know nothing of his own style of playing or what type of bass lines he's capable of writing. All I've ascertained is that his fills are sloppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Man In The Box

Right this thread has spiraled out of control since I last checked in. And your right Stone UR ock, I was not expecting this:D.

Anyway, Forest Master, the reason behind posting a short sample of me playing a cover is so people can get some sort of idea of my playing ability and can then make up their own minds about whether it's sufficient for what they're looking for or not. It saves me and them time spent meeting up just to find this out. If I had original material recorded and wanted to share it with people I wouldn't just post it in the thread, I'd email it to them if they were interested. Your entitled to your opinion on my playing, I'm not claiming to be fully accomplished yet, I'm still learning and improving all the time. And maybe it is out of time and a little sloppy but I'm not looking for people who are interested in absolute musical perfection and if you read the post properly you might have got this. And I think the purpose of posting the sample has been proven as now you and I both know we don't want to play together.

Lastly, if you had read the charter about posting in this forum you'd have seen it says that if you have no interest in a band/musician then don't post in the thread.

Now could you please take your opinions else where and leave the thread alone. This does not require further discussion.

Guitarzero and Stone UR ock thanks for the interest and I'll PM you shortly.

Good stuff MITB. Well said... I just can't resist one last post for the bonhomous Master of Forests.....

Hey Forest Master, just one more thing. The Locksley you refer to is in New South Wales Australia or possibly The Poem Locksley Hall by Alfred Tennyson.

The Loxely I was refering to and the one of legend is in Sheffield, England

See below for your enjoyment and education...

Yorkshire place names dominate the rhymes of Robin Hood whose birthplace of Loxley in Hallamshire, Sheffield is near the site of Little John’s grave in Hathersage.
    Loxley is midway between Sherwood and Barnsdale and here we read, "In ancient times this area (Sheffield/Loxley) was part of the Barnsdale Forest that, together with Sherwood Forest, made up the forest of the Robin Hood legends.”

You have a nice day now and good luck with your musician hunt. Will anyone every be able to scale the lofty heights that are your standards.

• Advertisement

Will anyone every be able to scale the lofty heights that are your standards.

I didn't realise that playing in time is considered a lofty high standard now. :rolleyes:

Advertisement