Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio documentary about dogs and their owners

Options
  • 05-01-2011 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

Is anyone out there passionate about dogs??

I'm recording a radio documentary for RTÉ Radio 1 about dog lovers in the midlands/north-west region.

If you own a bishon-frise, a cavalier king charles, German shepard, any sort of sheep dog or a dog of any description and bring your dog to a grooming parlour on a regular basis, please feel free to drop me a line. I'm recording interviews over the next few weeks and would love to hear your interesting stories about why your dog(s) means so much to you and your family.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

docpoint wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is anyone out there passionate about dogs??

I'm recording a radio documentary for RTÉ Radio 1 about dog lovers in the midlands/north-west region.

If you own a bishon-frise, a cavalier king charles, German shepard, any sort of sheep dog or a dog of any description and bring your dog to a grooming parlour on a regular basis, please feel free to drop me a line. I'm recording interviews over the next few weeks and would love to hear your interesting stories about why your dog(s) means so much to you and your family.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

Why do you mention those specific breeds & grooming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

I love my dogs (a scottie and recently rehomed whippet) and i just found a dog on the motorway last week and rehomed him.

im not 100% if id like to be interviewed but would like to know more about the interviews.??

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I live in the north-west, I love my dog but she isn't any of the breeds mentioned and I groom her myself, so again why this:
    Discodog wrote: »

:confused:

My concern would be with any program that trivialises why people love dogs by associating it with those who dress their dog up or spend money on grooming.

I would hope that anyone seeking to explore the relationship between dog & owner would explore the mutual benefit that exists between the two. I would also hope that they would focus on rescue dogs.

I recently heard a radio interview with Caesar Milan. The interview was pointless because the interviewer did not understand the first thing about dogs so Milan's ramblings about discipline etc were never challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 docpoint

Dear all,

Thanks for your prompt responses and questions. There are a few questions so I will reply to each one.

From Discodog and adrenalinejunkie:
    I'm interesting in speaking to owners of all types of breeds. I mentioned those particular breeds because, from some brief research and initial recordings, they seem to be some of the most popular breeds. As for the grooming aspect - dog owners that bring their dogs to grooming parlours generally like their dogs to look good, for example maybe it's for a family special occasion, and I think that's worth hearing about.

miss_daisy
    id like to be interviewed but would like to know more about the interviews.??
    I make documentaries about peoples' stories and recollections. I'll ask owners a variety of questions but try to always allow people to tell their own stories: Maybe it's a special memory the owner has of a past dog, the owner describing their dog's special characteristics or how the found their dog, why their dog means so much to them and their family.
    In terms of scheduling interviews, I try to record a few per day in one area and visit people at their locations. I'd love to hear how you found the dog on the motorway and rehomed him. I hope this answers your question.

from Discodog again:
    My concern would be with any program that trivialises why people love dogs by associating it with those who dress their dog up or spend money on grooming.

I'm not interested in trivia nor is the documentary slot, rather real human interest stories.

I would hope that anyone seeking to explore the relationship between dog & owner would explore the mutual benefit that exists between the two. I would also hope that they would focus on rescue dogs.

Good point. I think this relationship between owner and dog is at the core of the documentary's story and would like to hear your views on this aspect of mutual benefit. In fact, I think every loving dog owner could probably speak about this so the more opinions the better. Re. rescue dogs - I honestly hadn't considered this but could be worth looking at. I will be interviewing RSPCA reps and hope to follow the quest of finding one stray dog a new home.
    fyi - I am not a dog owner but would like to be! My wife is a cat person! I'm coming at this from a fresh perspective which is always a good thing.

Please contact me with any further questions or equally send me a personal message if you would like to share your stories.

Thanks to all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Dear all,

Thanks for your prompt responses and questions. There are a few questions so I will reply to each one.

From Discodog and adrenalinejunkie:
    I'm interesting in speaking to owners of all types of breeds. I mentioned those particular breeds because, from some brief research and initial recordings, they seem to be some of the most popular breeds. As for the grooming aspect - dog owners that bring their dogs to grooming parlours generally like their dogs to look good, for example maybe it's for a family special occasion, and I think that's worth hearing about.

miss_daisy
    id like to be interviewed but would like to know more about the interviews.??
    I make documentaries about peoples' stories and recollections. I'll ask owners a variety of questions but try to always allow people to tell their own stories: Maybe it's a special memory the owner has of a past dog, the owner describing their dog's special characteristics or how the found their dog, why their dog means so much to them and their family.
    In terms of scheduling interviews, I try to record a few per day in one area and visit people at their locations. I'd love to hear how you found the dog on the motorway and rehomed him. I hope this answers your question.

from Discodog again:

I'm not interested in trivia nor is the documentary slot, rather real human interest stories.

Good point. I think this relationship between owner and dog is at the core of the documentary's story and would like to hear your views on this aspect of mutual benefit. In fact, I think every loving dog owner could probably speak about this so the more opinions the better. Re. rescue dogs - I honestly hadn't considered this but could be worth looking at. I will be interviewing RSPCA reps and hope to follow the quest of finding one stray dog a new home.
    fyi - I am not a dog owner but would like to be! My wife is a cat person! I'm coming at this from a fresh perspective which is always a good thing.

Please contact me with any further questions or equally send me a personal message if you would like to share your stories.

Thanks to all!

Is this programme going to be from a Southern Irish perspective? There is no RSPCA in Eire obviously, as we don't have a royal family. There is an ISPCA, and various SPCA's around the country, there are also a lot of small rescues and welfare organisations.

People tend to bring their dogs to grooming parlours because that particular breed needs grooming. Owners with shorter haired breeds, or breeds that don't need their coat to be cut, will clean their dogs at home, but probably want their dogs to look just as good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I groom my own dog so she looks her best all the time, not just for 'special occasions' or 'maintenance'. Also because as soon as you say 7 month old Westie the line tends to go dead, unless of course they offer me the 'privilage' of sedating my dog for purposes of having her hair trimmed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ISDW wrote: »
    Is this programme going to be from a Southern Irish perspective? There is no RSPCA in Eire obviously, as we don't have a royal family. There is an ISPCA, and various SPCA's around the country, there are also a lot of small rescues and welfare organisations.

People tend to bring their dogs to grooming parlours because that particular breed needs grooming. Owners with shorter haired breeds, or breeds that don't need their coat to be cut, will clean their dogs at home, but probably want their dogs to look just as good.

Was just about to post that, maybe RSPCA was just a typo?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Is this enough passion for you docpoint?:D Us dog owners do tend to get a bit defensive about our companions.:rolleyes:

I think you should get different perspectives from a variety of breeds and a variety of owners - rescue dog owners, show dog owners, people who work their dogs or compete at trials. I don't think there is such a thing as the 'average' pet owner. This grooming business seems like a stereotype of the lazy owner with the dog cooped up in the house as an ornament which is equal to the dog left in the garden all day, I don't consider these owners to be at all passionate about anything other than themselves and maybe their clean floors :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would also hope that they would focus on rescue dogs.

I think highlighting how to get a dog from a reputable breeder, what to look for or questions to ask would be just as benefical.

I think you should get different perspectives from a variety of breeds and a variety of owners - rescue dog owners, show dog owners, people who work their dogs or compete at trials. I don't think there is such a thing as the 'average' pet owner. This grooming business seems like a stereotype of the lazy owner with the dog cooped up in the house as an ornament which is equal to the dog left in the garden all day, I don't consider these owners to be at all passionate about anything other than themselves and maybe their clean floors :p

Really? My dog is a rescue mutt, he is in the house all the time apart from his walks, he gets 2 long walks a day and if hubby is 'tinkering around' outside he will be outside running around the garden with his toy, but I get him 'groomed' once every 6 weeks or so, a wash (not a dry cos he doesn't like the dryer) and his nails clipped, ears cleaned and sometimes he needs the old bum squeezed, I don't want my house smelling of dog, I don't think that makes me a lazy dog owner, what's wrong with wanting clean floors? We also have a cat who is mostly indoors so we have a litter tray for her which I clean out every day, she goes outside sometimes, comes in with mucky paws and leaves ginger hairs everywhere, doesn't bother me but like I say, I do like a clean house so I clean up after them. I don't take the cat to the groomers, that would be a step too far ;) but I'm really surprised that you equate people who get their dogs groomed with lazy owners who leave their dogs in the house all day, that has no logic to me.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Really? My dog is a rescue mutt, he is in the house all the time apart from his walks, he gets 2 long walks a day and if hubby is 'tinkering around' outside he will be outside running around the garden with his toy, but I get him 'groomed' once every 6 weeks or so, a wash (not a dry cos he doesn't like the dryer) and his nails clipped, ears cleaned and sometimes he needs the old bum squeezed, I don't want my house smelling of dog, I don't think that makes me a lazy dog owner, what's wrong with wanting clean floors? We also have a cat who is mostly indoors so we have a litter tray for her which I clean out every day, she goes outside sometimes, comes in with mucky paws and leaves ginger hairs everywhere, doesn't bother me but like I say, I do like a clean house so I clean up after them. I don't take the cat to the groomers, that would be a step too far ;) but I'm really surprised that you equate people who get their dogs groomed with lazy owners who leave their dogs in the house all day, that has no logic to me.

Maybe I didn't clarify enough, I meant the type that never leave the house or never leave the garden. I know several people who own toy poodles/bichons etc. that don't get out of the house ever except for 2 minutes on a short lead to do toilet business, go to the groomer on a weekly or fortnightly basis and never, ever get dirty. They are in effect kept as hairy ornaments, not dogs ;) There is nothing wrong with wanting clean floors obviously but the people I mean are only concerned with clean floors. It just looked a bit like the OP's first post was geared towards this sort of owner - they call themselves people who own 'house dogs'. I call them the dog in a handbag brigade :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Maybe I didn't clarify enough, I meant the type that never leave the house or never leave the garden.

I know someone like that..drives me crazy and has been the cause of many arguements!:rolleyes:

Maybe I didn't clarify enough, I meant the type that never leave the house or never leave the garden. I know several people who own toy poodles/bichons etc. that don't get out of the house ever except for 2 minutes on a short lead to do toilet business, go to the groomer on a weekly or fortnightly basis and never, ever get dirty. They are in effect kept as hairy ornaments, not dogs ;) There is nothing wrong with wanting clean floors obviously but the people I mean are only concerned with clean floors. It just looked a bit like the OP's first post was geared towards this sort of owner - they call themselves people who own 'house dogs'. I call them the dog in a handbag brigade :p

Oh yes, well some people shouldn't have dogs full stop, Paris Hilton and the like, using them as fashion accessories. I would need a suitcase if I wanted to carry my lad round as an accessory :D

I mentioned those particular breeds because, from some brief research and initial recordings, they seem to be some of the most popular breeds. As for the grooming aspect - dog owners that bring their dogs to grooming parlours generally like their dogs to look good, for example maybe it's for a family special occasion, and I think that's worth hearing about.

I am sorry but this is exactly the kind of thing that drives me nuts. Making a dog look good for a family occasion - seriously ?. You would focus on this rather than the 10,000 Greyhounds that we kill every year or the 7000 Pound dogs that die ?

I am sorry to say that your research has been too brief. GDS's are actually a restricted breed & are subject to all sorts of unnecessary controls. Any owner will find this far more relevant than the beauty parlour.

Surely any production company is going to choose researchers who have knowledge of the topic ?. Do you think that as a non owner that you can closely relate to dog owners ?. I just have this impression of a twee cutesy program with doggies in bows & lots of people enthusing on how much they love their dog.

One day someone will make a one hour documentary on Ireland's dogs & how we treat them & it won't be easy viewing. One day someone, it won't be an Irish company, will do a documentary on the Greyhound Industry & show people the real cost of a "Great Night Out".

If you want a guide as to how to make a good program about dogs look at the one's presented by Martin Clunes - ah but he is a dog lover !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I have two Bichon Frise who I love to bits. They're indoor dogs but get an hour off lead walk every day. One of them loves to swim so I keep his coat nice and short in the summer. They love to roll in the smelliest mound of muck they can find on a walk (ofthem a dead mouse or bird) and if they do it's another swim or straight into the bath because they both sleep with me. I admit I like them to look good for family occasions so usually take the opportunity to get them trimmed and properly groomed. They look gorgeous when they come out but it doesn't last for long! They are fed organic food and I made sweet potato treats for them.
    Am I going overboard? From what I've read on this forum it seems most contributors are also crazy about dogs and it cheers me to read your posts (apart from the odd nasty sarcastic post!).
    I would quite like to take part in the documentary but I live in Limerick:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I have two rescue dogs here in Portlaoise - my daughter has two more. The dogs are the centre of our lives - they are like children to us. They are never groomed - we brush and bath them ourselves - they roll in the grass and get mucked up to the eyeballs when they go to the mountains for a walk - but you wont find more loved, cherished or happy dogs anywhere! I have spent a small fortune on ensuring their comfort - they even have a heater installed in their kennel (hubby is an electrician!), and a large covered and enclosed paved area in which to play. They have their own couch and twin dog beds in the house.
    I feel your programme should concentrate on the benefits and rewards of offering a rescue dog a "forever home" - of welcoming them into your family, accepting their past (which is usually unknown) and re-organising your entire life to ensure their happiness and well-being.
    If you wish to go this route we will be happy to speak to you - but you wont hear any stories of grooming, ribbons or bows - just pure love for dogs every day of their lives.

Hi everyone,

Great to receive so much interest from you all. Thanks very much. It is great to receive so much passionate feedback form dog owners who clearly love their dogs.

Many of you are correct in pointing out that there are many different types of dogs and dog owners and I heed your advice to widen the net and seek a variety of dog owners and breeds.

I have also contacted a number of breeders and will record some interviews from their perspective as well. Yes, RSPCA was a typo which was probably typed rather quickly on a busy day. I am aware that the association in the Republic is the ISPCA. Thank you.

I will contact those of you who have wished to take part early this week. I also encourage new posts as recording will take place this month and the start of February.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dogs in rescue and pounds should of course be highlighted on a regular basis and they are esp. now with the Irish show on tv and it's now on Discovery. But what is wrong with just having a programme about people and their pets and how they care for them god knows we need some light hearted stuff on the air waves as well.

• Advertisement

I have also contacted a number of breeders and will record some interviews from their perspective as well.
    Kind regards

Will you also interview the Puppy Farmers as Ireland is the puppy farming capital of Europe.

You can take lots of interviews but in reality it will be you or someone in your team that edits the program.

Dogs in rescue and pounds should of course be highlighted on a regular basis and they are esp. now with the Irish show on tv and it's now on Discovery. But what is wrong with just having a programme about people and their pets and how they care for them god knows we need some light hearted stuff on the air waves as well.

Seriously. You think that the conditions & number of dogs killed in Irish Pounds is highlighted - where ?. What program discusses why Ireland has no welfare law, has refused to sign the European Convention, allows sports than many other countries deem to be cruel ?. What program has ever shown that we kill 10 times more dogs, per population, than the UK ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Sounds like u need to make a program yourself Discodog. Would be energy better spent than quizzing OP on his/her knowledge of Irish dog owners and their bad traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Seriously. You think that the conditions & number of dogs killed in Irish Pounds is highlighted - where ?. What program discusses why Ireland has no welfare law, has refused to sign the European Convention, allows sports than many other countries deem to be cruel ?. What program has ever shown that we kill 10 times more dogs, per population, than the UK ?.

You can take lots of interviews but in reality it will be you or someone in your team that edits the program.

No ones disagreeing with you about the issues you raised Disco but come on, the OP is doing a specific type of documentary and basically attacking them for it isn't going to make them change it. The OP (no offence OP) clearly isn't a big doggie person like some of us on here and as such isn't aware of the issues you raised. But this documentary, to me, seems to be set out as a light hearted affair from the start and should be taken as such.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Sounds like u need to make a program yourself Discodog.

It's impossible. The only way that it could be done would be a foreign production company & then none of the Irish channels would show it. If you criticise or show the truth about the Greyhound Industry you are directly opposing the government.

My concern with fluffy dog documentaries is that they can convey the impression that this is the status quo, especially if there is no balancing argument. It hard enough to pressure for legislation without people saying that they watched a program where Irish owners were shown pampering their dogs. This impression can also affect donations to rescues as the public can assume that dogs are well cared for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

It's impossible. The only way that it could be done would be a foreign production company & then none of the Irish channels would show it. If you criticise or show the truth about the Greyhound Industry you are directly opposing the government.

My concern with fluffy dog documentaries is that they can convey the impression that this is the status quo, especially if there is no balancing argument. It hard enough to pressure for legislation without people saying that they watched a program where Irish owners were shown pampering their dogs. This impression can also affect donations to rescues as the public can assume that dogs are well cared for here.

Thats all fair enough (as well as true) but as adser said above, its clearly a light hearted docu, meant for the masses. We're all dog lovers on here and we mostly share your opinion on this Im sure but the guy was just looking for some interviews for his show.

Why not do a podcast or a forum instead of a radio show? Doesnt cost anything and you seem to know enough about the issue to enlighten people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

One of the best radio broadcasts I have heard on the topic - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102594087

Thanks Bluefrog,

great broadcast about dog owners and their dogs. very interesting and helpful.

Regards

Advertisement