Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I took the plunge!

Options
  • 05-01-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

Ordered my first Mac last night. A 27" iMac from the refurb store with about €300 off the list price was enough to upsell me from the 21" I had been planning to get.

I'll probably be plaguing this forum for the next while but I'll start with these two:

Does the price on the refurb store reflect more closely the spec of the machine or it's condition? I ask because, until last night, I hadn't really seen anything come up with enough of a discount to tempt me away from buying brand new, so I'm wondering (worrying) if the one I'm getting will show signs of having had dog's abuse at it's previous home.

Where do the refurbs ship from? Is the Irish refurb stock held in Ireland or specific to the Irish site, or is there a warehouse in Europe somewhere with the same machines all listed on the ie, uk, de etc. sites? My order confirmation said delivery would be 5th to 7th of January but the shipping confirmation says on or before the 11th. What would be typical? Three days, or a full week?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

welcome to the elite ;):D

refurbs rarely, if ever,come from an end user that has sent it back to apple as a trade in or the like. They are either older stock that has been upgraded, or machines that have come back to apple within the 14 day period when you can return it with no questions.

They all have the standard one year warranty and apple will deal with any issues.

It could come from anywhere in the world, literally. But most likely the UK, netherlands or germany

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Welcome to the world of Mac, milltown.

When you get the machine you should inspect it thoroughly for any physical defects that you consider unacceptable. Dead pixels, etc. If you aren't happy send it back and order an other refurb.

Any hardware issues you might encounter are covered by the warranty so you don't need to worry about them so much.

But you should be fine. Refurbs are usually as a good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

I bought an Apple MacBook Pro refurb last month and it's perfect, Apple told me that in their refurbs have everything you see replaced with brand new stuff so it's only the insides that remain the same. Mine came and it looks brand new. the unibody shell and keyboard and trackpad are usually all replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Ditto OP I ordered a 27" iMac refurb on Sunday. The tracking info says it shipped from the UK and is due for delivery tomorrow yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

WANT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

It's arrived!!! I hope your not waiting too long OP I can promise you it's worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

macgabhs wrote: »
    It's arrived!!! I hope your not waiting too long OP I can promise you it's worth the wait!

Bastid!

Just messing. But if yours took four days I'm not likely to see mine until next week :(

Edit: WOOT! Just checked again and it's now saying delivery tomorrow :D

Advertisement