Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Trails

Options
  • 05-01-2011 4:38pm

Hi,

I'm just getting into mountain biking at the moment and use some of the trails through the various woods and around the perimeter of the Phoenix Park for spins, especially at the weekends.

I've noticed that a few people - mostly walkers - seem to object to me cycling on the trails and have suggested that I should stick to the road.

I make a special effort to slow down as much as possible when runners or walkers are approaching and can't see what harm I am doing.

I don't see many others on MTBs around where I cycle - the route I take is always pretty quiet - and was wondering if it's considered OK to cycle on the trails?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

No one has ever said anything to me. Just make sure you don't spook anyone and take a wide berth around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Unless they are armed with sticks, just ignore and do your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

nomadic wrote: »
    No one has ever said anything to me. Just make sure you don't spook anyone and take a wide berth around them.

+1

As the faster party, I always concede right of way and slow right down and/or give the walkers, runners, dogs or children a wide berth. It can be frustrating having your cycling rhythm / flow being regularly interupted but it's not the end of the world. I simply see it as a consequence of having trails located near where lots of people - myself included - live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the furry glen neck of the woods hosted the XC Nationals in 97 I think it was. I had a close encounter with two young men one summers eve as reccied the course.
    A little earlier in the day might be alright though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I've noticed that a few people - mostly walkers - seem to object to me cycling on the trails and have suggested that I should stick to the road.

Probably the same pricks that spend most of their time walking on the cycle paths :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

uberwolf wrote: »
    the furry glen neck of the woods hosted the XC Nationals in 97 I think it was. I had a close encounter with two young men one summers eve as reccied the course.
    A little earlier in the day might be alright though?
    What were the 2 young men up to:rolleyes:. Most men hanging around there especially the above the pond bit deserve to be run over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Im in there on the trails (mainly the ones either side of Kyber) every day walking the dog and come across many cyclists on the trails and always move out of the way and get the dog to sit, they normally slow down as they pass and everyone enjoys the park which they are entitled to.

Im getting a my new cross bike in the next few days and am dying to try out the trails and I'll be damned if anyone else is gonna spoil my fun. :)

Where are the best ones, furry glen looks good.

Thanks for the replies folks. I guessed I wasn't doing much wrong, but I thought I'd ask given I got an earful from some guy out walking just before Xmas, despite doing my best to slow right down and go about five metres around him.

Funnily enough, I don't tend to slow down much when I'm going through the Furry Glen on a summer's evening. A lot of strange people hanging around there at that time of the year!

I haven't had any issues with dogs while on the bike yet, but I've been wiped out twice by dogs while running in the Phoenix Park in the last year. I got taken out by a massive Labrador which wasn't on a leash and took an awful hopper on a path. The owner told me not to worry about kicking her dog while trying to hurdle it!

Advertisement