Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Over Again

Options
  • 05-01-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Next Week im going to do a fresh install of OSx on my Macbook.
    This will be the 2nd time for me to fresh install.
    I have all the disks for it.
    A few questions though, is there any way i can keep my itunes history?(play count, date added, etc.)

Im going to copy all the info i want kept to an External HD then copy it back over, and begin installing the Programs i have already.
    Also i bought Office for Mac 2010, but it says it only has 2 licenses,ive already used one on the current setup, but will it use the other on the new install, or will it know its the same macbook?

Also if theres any software which anyone knows of which will help me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Just copy your whole iTunes library onto the external HDD and copy it back into place when you've reinstalled the OS. All your media, playlists, metadata (but not iTunes preferences) are preserved in there.

As for the Office license key, it depends on whether its tied to a hardware key. If it isn't you can probably just reuse the existing serial number without issues. If you want to be sure just skip any "registration" step in the installer.

Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant.app will be helpful to you.

Out of curiosity, why are you doing a fresh install? Unless you have a specific reason for doing so, you shouldn't have to copy your personal data back into place after doing an OS install - installing OS X just reinstalls all the OS bits, it doesn't nuke your data (unless you're keeping it in a very inappropriate place). Make sure you do a full backup before starting though, in any case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

cornbb wrote: »
    installing OS X just reinstalls all the OS bits, it doesn't nuke your data (unless you're keeping it in a very inappropriate place). Make sure you do a full backup before starting though, in any case ;)

that's absolute rubbish!

be very careful what you do when listening to advice like this. Unless you specifically choose to do an archive and install, all of your data will be deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It depends what option you choose during the install. And what options are available to you depend on what version of OS X you are installing. In older versions of OS X you have 3 choices: upgrade, clean install, archive and install.

But since Snow Leopard you only get one choice in the actual Installer, which is kinda an archive and install minus the archiving. It leaves your user data alone but replaces your system folder. To do a clean install under SL you have to go into Disk Utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

alexlyons wrote: »
    that's absolute rubbish!

be very careful what you do when listening to advice like this. Unless you specifically choose to do an archive and install, all of your data will be deleted.

You sure about that?

Advertisement