Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing in lighter layers

Options
  • 05-01-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

The first couple of times I went skiing it was in March. I found it too warm to ski in my ski jacket and instead skied in my waterproof shell. This time however I'm going in January (Andorra).

So I was wondering if people found it too cold to ski in lighter layers this early in the year. At the moment I'm thinking of picking up a Dare 2 Be soft shell which has a light fleece lining. With a base layer and optional fleece for colder days would I still be cold or should that be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say as long as you bring a bag that you can bring extra layers/dump layers it might be worth a go. I usually wear one baselayer and a jacket, which is grand for me. I open the vents when I'm skiing and close them when I'm on the chair lifts.

Edited to say - Jan is going to be a lot colder than March! I've skied in March with no jacket. And Jan is always pretty cold, (rarely getting above 0) so chairlifts etc are freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Keep an eye on the weather conditions.

I would also usually ski in a base layer and a jacket, but last February I found myself having to wear a fleece too. It was -17 or something like that. The higher up the mountain you go, the colder and less sheltered it gets too.

That said, there are some people who handle the cold very well. No harm in having the option of a different layer I suppose - and it's always nice to get new gear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have skied in March in Andorra in just a t-shirt, was still too warm.

Would usually be in just a thermal long sleeve top, and then have a thin ski jacket on over the top opening various vents as needed. If it's cold then I'll have a fleece on as well. If it's really cold I'll have thermal bottoms on as well. If it's really, really cold I'll just ski harder.

Advertisement