Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette Lockring Tool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There are a number of different cassette removal tools to cater for the various different cassette types that exist. This Park Tool page is a good place to start to figure out which tool you'll need for your mountain bike. Obviously you can buy any brand of removal tool that you like, once you know which type you need, though Park Tool make good quality removal tools usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 4seasons biker

there are two fititng removers for shimano hg and ug ,so check yours and get the opposite i found the bbb lock out good its about €11.95 and comes with a spanner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

A quick google suggests that the Trek 3700 has one of these screw on, or threaded, freewheels, rather than a cassette held in place by a lockring, so you will need a new tool. The lower part of the page that doozerie linked you to explains how to remove and reinstall these freewheels, and this should be an example of the type of tool you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Odd. The one that comes in the halfords box I'd expect to fit any Shimano or SRAM cassette made in the last ten years.

What kind of cassette do you have on the road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CiaranC33

Thanks I will give that a look.

:)

• Advertisement

I open the cassette on my road bike with this cassette tool.
    cassettetool.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I just got that kit also, feckin brilliant :D But I'm not a roadie, so I'll be needing a new cassette tool also. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

mtb_kng wrote: »
    I just got that kit also, feckin brilliant :D But I'm not a roadie, so I'll be needing a new cassette tool also. :rolleyes:
    Have you checked that for sure? As far as I know, there is not necessarily a road/MTB divide here, so that cassette tool may suit some, or even many, MTBs. The issue in this case is that (to use Sheldon Brown's description) the Trek 3700 is a "lower end" MTB, that happens to use a threaded freewheel, rather than a freehub and cassette system, and these two different designs require different tools. Unless you have the same type of bike, then there is little or no guarantee that the cassette tool in the halfords kit won't work, as you may still have a freehub and cassette rather than a freewheel as Ciaran seems to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

cython wrote: »
    Have you checked that for sure? As far as I know, there is not necessarily a road/MTB divide here, so that cassette tool may suit some, or even many, MTBs. The issue in this case is that (to use Sheldon Brown's description) the Trek 3700 is a "lower end" MTB, that happens to use a threaded freewheel, rather than a freehub and cassette system, and these two different designs require different tools. Unless you have the same type of bike, then there is little or no guarantee that the cassette tool in the halfords kit won't work, as you may still have a freehub and cassette rather than a freewheel as Ciaran seems to.
    Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow (I'm going cycling now :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

think u need one of these:
    http://www.bike24.com/p27105.html
    freewheel removal tool

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who kindly offered me advice. I went to my bike shop yesterday and got one of these to remove the freewheel on my bike. After giving it a good cleaning I put it back on a put on and also put on a new chain. Im really looking forward to heading out for a spin now!

:D

Advertisement