Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is my bike worth, help me value it please !

Options
  • 05-01-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

I have finally decided to sell my bike which I feel is too big for me even though a certain shop said it was fine.

Can someone help me value it as I have no idea !

Here is the spec and a link to what the bike looks like

Felt T23 bike

56 cm frame

Components are:
    Wheels - Shimano 622x15C Alloy and 1
    Shifters - Shimano Ultegra FlightDeck 10 speed
    Front Derailleur - Shimano 105
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra
    Crank - Gossamer FSA with 53/39 tooth set
    Cassette - Shimano 105 11-27 tooth 10 speed
    Chain - Shimano Ultegra
    Stem - Felt ST 120mm

It also came with clip on bars

The sales pitch for the bike is ::

The T23 Triathlon bike delivers outstanding performance in both road riding & triathlon. Built with Felt-designed aerodynamic 7005 Superlite custom-butted tubing with carbon seat stays, this "do everything, fit everyone" ITU (International Triathlon Union) Olympic-distance inspired design has a component selection fit for any level of competition. Complementing the great ride are race-worthy components including Shimano 105/Ultegra shifting, FSA crankset & Conti GP400s tyres,

Here is a link to the pic

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/felt_t23_superlite_road_bicycle_1200_redding_6873148.jpg

The specs from fit Calculator are below , so if anyone wants to give me piece of mind I am doing the right thing that would be great also - I dont trust bike shops anymore !

Measurements
    Inseam: 31
    Trunk: 24.5
    Forearm: 14
    Arm: 26
    Thigh: 24
    Lower Leg: 21.5
    Sternal Notch: 55
    Total Body Height: 68

The Competitive Fit (cm)
    Seat tube range c-c: 51.0 - 51.5
    Seat tube range c-t: 52.6 - 53.1
    Top tube length: 54.3 - 54.7
    Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
    BB-Saddle Position: 67.3 - 69.3
    Saddle-Handlebar: 52.8 - 53.4
    Saddle Setback: 4.0 - 4.4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why do you think it is too big?

If you're not comfortable then it's not a bike size problem, it's a bike setup problem (or a rider problem).

The normal bike fit process is to get the correct saddle height & fore/aft, handlebar height and stem length. You then see what the resulting comfortable set up looks like. If something is crazy, e.g. >130mm or <90mm stem, loads of spacers, flipped stem, saddle at extreme end of rails etc etc, then you can say with confidence that the frame is the wrong size and/or geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

I'm just not comfortable on it even after the bike fit out in dun laoighre - I feel over stretched

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll give you 200 for it.

dario28 wrote: »
    I'm just not comfortable on it even after the bike fit out in dun laoighre - I feel over stretched

Then the bike fit is wrong, not the frame size.

Lumen wrote: »
    Then the bike fit is wrong, not the frame size.

I'll have to have a look at the document he gave me

Any idea what the bike is worth I may change it anyway for some more suited to long distances bought it mainly for tri's but that hasn't really happened !

• Advertisement

I'll have to have a look at the document he gave me

Any idea what the bike is worth I may change it anyway for some more suited to long distances bought it mainly for tri's but that hasn't really happened !

Ah, gotcha. The fit thing is an excuse to buy a new bike.

Depends on age and condition, difficult to tell from that pic.

It'll be worth twice as much if you photograph it the right way round. ;)

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah, gotcha. The fit thing is an excuse to buy a new bike.

Depends on age and condition, difficult to tell from that pic.

It'll be worth twice as much if you photograph it the right way round. ;)

Ha that's not my pic I nabbed it off the web for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Think from youir measurement that the bike could be set up to suit BUT difficult to be difinative on that. Personally given a choice (purely based on measurements supplied) I would have gone a size smaller - 54cm.

How as ever a good start point for value is; what you paid for it?; when?& detailed description of condition. Multiple photos are always a help.

Ball park is that you`ll get about 50% of what you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

If you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new bike I won't stand in your way, but .........

If I had my bike set up "properly" I wouldn't be able to ride it on 5 hour spins because my back isn't flexible enough. I need the bars higher and closer to me than would be the case in a normal road bike setup.

Why don't you try something similiar? Try a shorter stem, add a few spacers if you can or even flip the stem? With all due respect, it sounds like the problem is you rather than the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 4seasons biker

its value for a quick sale would be about €550 if its in good nick,i bought a similar spec bike for around that price a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

OP. You are same height and leg measurements as I am. Given that this bike has 56cm top tube length then if it were me I would conclude that the frame IS too big. That is why you feel overly stretched out.
    You could (as Lumen) suggest set bike up differently. I think this could involve a very short stem which may impact on handling.

If it were me I would go for a smaller frame (say 52 or 53) with a longer stem.
    YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I agree with ROK ON, while it may not be set up right, with your measurements a 54cm bike would be more suitable. I think I am on the 54/56cm border for Felt and opted for a 54cm with a longer stem, hasn't given me a day's bother.

I Had considered a shorter stem alright but wasn't sure what effect that would have on corners etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I Had considered a shorter stem alright but wasn't sure what effect that would have on corners etc

Not much, you'll be fine.

Raam wrote: »
    Not much, you'll be fine.

90 or 110 - prob hard to tell without buying both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

regarding the sale my twopence worth ,
    drill a hole in the top tube and nail it to the wall,:rolleyes:
    because you will never get the price you want or it's worth for it that's a fact.
    and when it's gone it's gone never to return.if your really serious about cycling get yourself a custom bike that's going to do all you want it to do ,basically it's not the bike it's the pilot and that's another fact.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm a shortie with a 30" inseam. I have 2 x 54, 1 x 52, and a custom frame. As said above a 54 might be best for you.

Advertisement