Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy Al strikes again

Options
  • 05-01-2011 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭

Filed to ESPN: Raiders informed Tom Cable they will not pick up the option in his contract. He no longer is the Raiders head coach.

From Adam Schefter on twitter.

Didn't see this one coming after the improvement in the Raiders this season. I'm shocked I have to say.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

That team will do nothing aslong as Al Davis is alive, he won't let go of the control even when there making improvments he fires the coach. He needs to sort out his ego and let the coach's and back room staff do there thing without him breathing down there neck and maybe theyed have a chance of getting to the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I saw this the other day, stupid decision. Cable did a solid if not spectacualr job for us and then this season got us playing some decent stuff as well as leading us to an 8-8 season. He should have been allowed to stay on next season to build on that.

But as the title aptly says, Al does it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Why would anyone be surprised by Al Davis's actions. The biggest surprise last year was how little public meddling Al did. I'm sure he nearly blew a gasket when he saw Cable's post-match conference in which he declared "We're not losers anymore". In Al's eyes 8-8 is not a reason for triumphalism. The Raiders have over 20 free agents going in to this offseason. trying to persuade them to come back will be an achievement in itself, unless Jackson gets the job. He is interviewing in San Francisco today for the 49ers Head coach vacancy but Harbaugh is their guy, I reckon Jackson is there for the "Art Rooney" rule only. Which means that (all going well), Jackson will be the next Raiders Head coach. But he better be good. Al is getting older and wants another Superbowl, FAST.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There's a lot of criticism of Jackson's ability - lots of murmurs that that the running game was all Cable.
    The biggest surprise for the Raiders this year was that they drafted well - it played the biggest role in their improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Ye this is going to be a massive set back for us. Gutted by this decision as are a lot of the players

Shane Lechler Rips Decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I think it's a crazy decision by the Raiders, just with the team starting to come good after nearly a decade in the doldrums but what if, and this is a big if, Al Davis actually has something up his sleeve....

What if Davis is looking at spending some big cash on his next coach, what if he's looking for someone that knows the Raiders and wants to move into the big leagues but likes life in the Bay Area. What if Al has tapped up Jim Harbaugh to take the job.

I know it's far fetched, and highly unlikely, but what if Al Davis is actually making the decision based on the knowledge that Harbaugh wants to move into the NFL, doesn't want to leave the area where he and his family have made a home. Harbaugh was a coach at the Raiders for two or three years and is coming out of college as probably the hottest coach on the market, he can ask for, and get, anything. Going to the Raiders would give him the chance to stay in the area and develop a team that has shown great progress of late.

There are still issues with the Raiders but they would be much more attractive than anyone else that will approach him with the possible exception of the Panters with whom he can guarantee working with Andrew Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Don't think it's as crazy as you guys. I think he lost the job when he put Bruce back in there for the last time when Campbell was playing well. Davis clearly wanted it to be Campbell and he gets what he wants.

Besides I think that the general feeling is that Cable has steadied the ship and thats all he can do. They'd have to give him a 2 year contract at least and they don't feel he can take them any further. They'd also lose Jackson who is pretty likely to get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I agree, it's really not that crazy. We went from 31st in Total offense to 10th. McFadden went from a bust to playing at a pro-bowl level. The question is, which is better? To have Cable as HC with a new OC or Jackson as HC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

There were stories that Cable was involved heavily in the turn around in the running game not jackson.

The players play hard week in and week out for cable all the way to the end of the season and the players loved him.

When a seasoned Vet like Shane Lechler is ripping the decision you know it cannot be good.

Ultimately I think this sets us back, we have a ton of FA's this year and I think we will lose a chunk of them because of this. Not to mention Al could now turn on Lechler and trade or cut him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Time to pick up the phone Mr. Elway...

The last ex raider coach we hired worked out well! :pac:

Advertisement