Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book 'em Danno -- 2010 forecast contest results are in

Options
  • 05-01-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭

2010 Boards monthly forecasting contest

The champions of weather forecasting on Boards

We have three categories and then some novelty presentations. First, the main contest, which as agreed at the end of 2009, would involve the best ten forecasts out of 12 (or 10 or 11 for some less regular entrants). In that category, the Boards.ie virtual trophy goes to Danno:

Total score, based on best ten forecasts:

1. Danno ............ 549
    2. Joe Public ....... 509
    3. Jerry Seinfeld .. 502
    4. M.T. Cranium .. 488
    5. DOCARCH ....... 486
    6. thetonynator .. 482
    7. nilhg .............. 460
    8. Su Campu ...... 454
    9. kindred spirit ... 450
    10. strasser ....... 451

Then the M.T. Cranium virtual trophy for the best total score of all twelve forecasts, counting only those who entered all twelve, once again goes to Danno with the following leaderboard:

1. Danno ............. 613
    2. Joe Public ........ 568
    3. DOCARCH ......... 541
    4. M.T. Cranium .... 523
    5. Su Campu ........ 503
    6. nilhg ............... 500
    7. Redsunset ....... 488
    9. kindred spirit .... 485
    T9. strasser ........ 485
    10. Hellboy99 ...... 465

Our third category encourages new players, the overall average score for which you only need four entries to qualify. For anyone looking in, a good score in one of these contests is about 40-50 per cent of the points available, as we have rather tight scoring rules. While this could have yielded a different champion, Danno showed his overall class by claiming this category also:

1. Danno ................... 51.1
    2. Joe Public .............. 49.0
    3. thetonynator .......... 48.2
    4. Jerry Seinfeld ......... 47.5
    5. waterways ............. 46.4
    6. DOCARCH .............. 45.1
    7. M.T. Cranium ......... 43.4
    T7. Mickger844 posts .. 43.4
    9. Su Campu .............. 41.9
    10. Redsunset ............ 40.7

Finally, here is a list of the contestants who led a monthly contest:

JAN .. Joe Public
    FEB .. Jerry Seinfeld
    MAR .. Redsunset
    APR .. Joe Public (2)
    MAY . nilhg
    JUN .. SeaFields and Joe Public (3)
    JUL .. Danno
    AUG . Fionagus
    SEP .. Pauldry
    OCT .. Seafields (2)
    NOV .. M.T. Cranium
    DEC .. Danno (2)

Thanks to everyone who has played, we have increased our turnout from about 25 at start of 2010, to 48 as of the new year ... good luck to everyone in 2011 as we find out if Danno can lead the way for a third straight year (if not mistaken, Joe Public has been second twice in a row, so the class is showing).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A big thanks to MTC for running the contest through the year!

And congrats to Danno, but watch out im entering this year, hope you dont mind settling for second next year?:pac:

Only jokin, i wouldnt worry too much if i was you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Two years in a row. Impressive stuff Danno. Thanks M.T. for all the time you put in to running this contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Well done Danno and everyone who took part.Thanks M.T. fair play to you as i certainly feel the competition element to forecast each month really brings entertainment and more knowledge to the table.Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

well done danno . .anyone else suspect that he is partaking in ''weather manipulation''??? :P! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭dasa29

Well done danno now lets see if you can make it three in a row:D. Thanks M.T. keep up the good work. Good luck to everybody in this years competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

well done danno . .anyone else suspect that he is partaking in ''weather manipulation''??? :P! :D

I think you may be onto something there. 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' is his fav flick. Maybe they should name a model after him. The Danno is much better than ECM, GFS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Well done Danno, and great work MT your a star. Could it be possible to see the full table to see where my good self finished. Hopefully I'll do better this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

200motels wrote: »
    Well done Danno, and great work MT your a star. Could it be possible to see the full table to see where my good self finished. Hopefully I'll do better this year.

It's in the other thread. (the sticky)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Well done Danno on your great win. Big thanks to MT for all his hard work in running the competition. Personally pleased to be tied with MT for 7th in the average scoring. If only December had of been a better month for me :( Should be even more interesting this year with a few new kids on the block ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

After lurking for a couple of years I've decided to have a lash this year(have neither a hope nor a clue).I'm now sorry I did'nt wait for Danno to post and just copy his predictions.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers lads for all the kind words and especially MTC and DE who takes the time to run this competition. It's time consuming I know, but this time of year shows up all the woth of it!

It is always great fun entering these competitions and I make sure to take the time out from the IWN to come across and enter them and read some of the latest topics on 374. Would love to have more time to post in the threads on 374 but it's hard to keep track of both sites at the same time - especially when snow and/or thunder is forecast.

Will give it a lash again for 2011, and hopefully the magical three-in-a-row can be achieved as there is nothing more than pure guesswork and gut feeling in deciding the values to type in for the enteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Two years in a row. Impressive stuff Danno. Thanks M.T. for all the time you put in to running this contest.

Nacho, you won the first year IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is true, nacho libre won the 2008 "boards forecast league" and there is a classic photo at the end of that thread (look around 01-06-2009 for the thread).

Here, by the way, are the 2009 winners (we did not have different categories in use then) ...

2009 Boards forecast contest results

1. (1.) Danno .......... 751 (12) ... 62.6
    2. (5.) JD ............... 653 (11) ... 59.4
    3. (4.) Dasa 29 ........ 712 (12) ... 59.3
    4. (3.) Nacho Libre ... 708 (12) ... 59.0
    5. (2.) Strasser ....... 644 (11) .... 58.5
    ** ** Joe Public ....... 229 (4) ..... 57.3
    6. (9.) Hellboy99........ 558 (10) ... 55.8
    7. (6.) Kindred Spirit .. 658 (12) ... 54.8
    8. (6.) Nilhg ............. 652 (12) ... 54.3
    9. (8.) Docarch ........ 636 (12) .... 53.0
    10 (11) MTCranium .... 565 (12) ... 47.1
    10 (10) 200 Motels .... 444 (10) ... 44.4

(I had included Joe Public to show how he was doing after he entered towards the autumn of 2009)

I should also thank Deep Easterly for posting many useful and interesting graphs, and for being the prime mover behind the "IMT" which has made the mean temperature part of this contest more relevant to the majority of the population of Ireland. When we used to take the average of high and low monthly mean, Valentia (or Malin Head) was always half the story in the colder months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

It's in the other thread. (the sticky)
    Thanks for that, I didn't do so well, hopefully better this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well done MT, well done Danno and well done weather on finally getting really interesting in December after a fairly windless year.:)

Advertisement