Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle & Work Stands

Options
  • 04-01-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I have a £ 50 Wiggle voucher from Crimbo literally burning a hole in my pocket and need some advice on spending it! :) Have a hybrid bike and don't know enough about changing parts, so they're off the wishlist. Just ordered a Garmin so that's out too. Have most gear that I need at this stage (except maybe bib tights which might be an option) so am trying to figure out what to blow it on! I considered a turbo (and may also still be an option) but not sure how much use I'd really get out of it and whether or not it'd drive my wife mad!

This leaves me thinking maybe a workstand would be good - handy for washing the bike and maybe I'll take more time to learn how to fix it myself if (i.e. when) things are broken.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these options:
    Topeak PrepStand Max Workstand
    LifeLine Elite Team Workstand

Both seem to get pretty good reviews, although I am considering this also as it's a lot cheaper!

Any other good ideas for € 50-100?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I think that lifeline one is what I use. My neighbour owns it and we share :)).

It's brilliant.

Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Must say, I really don't understand how anyone survives without a workstand! Even for simple tasks - washing, chain oiling, tyre changes etc, they are invaluable. Wouldn't be without one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks for the replies! Fat Bloke do you reckon it's worth 100 quid? Has pretty good reviews on the site but a few dodgy ones! I know you get what you pay for etc, but I'm not sure if I'm prepared to pay more than that and over half what my bike cost (CTW) for something to just hold it up!

I also came across the Elite Spindoctor Race Workstand (reduced to € 123) and the Tacx Folding Workstand (€ 101.83). The problem once you start looking at reviews on websites I find is that so many things have a 4 out of 5 average rating, and you find yourself checking all the 1/2 ratings to see what problems people had rather than the other 80/90% who are perfectly happy! Any other advice out there?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Just because you have a €50 gift voucher for wiggle doesn't mean that it'd be in your best interest to look for one only on the wiggle site. As you've seen you'll have to pay above the €50 anyhow.

I have this and find it very good. I'd suggest paying the additional £39.00 for the tools shown in the link also. They'll cover most of what you should need to service your bike.

You could always spend the €50 voucher on something else then. Have you got lights, helmut..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

A workstand is a luxury but bibtights are a necessity in my opinion.

That said I have the tacx equivalent of the elite spindoctor and it's great. Definitely pay the extra to get the toolset included. It's much more cost effective to buy a complete toolset.

Oh yeah, apart from washing the bike a turbo is grand for most maintenance jobs, i.e. brakes/gears/drivetrain/headset and you can cycle on it!

Lemag wrote: »
    Just because you have a €50 gift voucher for wiggle doesn't mean that it'd be in your best interest to look for one only on the wiggle site. As you've seen you'll have to pay above the €50 anyhow.

I have this and find it very good. I'd suggest paying the additional £39.00 for the tools shown in the link also. They'll cover most of what you should need to service your bike.

You could always spend the €50 voucher on something else then. Have you got lights, helmut..
    Thanks yeah it's £ 50 so i'm hoping it'll actually be worth € 60 or so depending on what exchange rate they give. I realise it might be cheaper elsewhere, but I get the feeling Wiggle prices aren't always the lowest by any means. Will check out that link and the optional add-on. The problem is I think I have pretty much everything else I need. Got the lights/lock/mudguards/bottles/car-rack when I got it on the CTW.
    chakattack wrote: »
    A workstand is a luxury but bibtights are a necessity in my opinion.

That said I have the tacx equivalent of the elite spindoctor and it's great. Definitely pay the extra to get the toolset included. It's much more cost effective to buy a complete toolset.

Oh yeah, apart from washing the bike a turbo is grand for most maintenance jobs, i.e. brakes/gears/drivetrain/headset and you can cycle on it!
    So far I've survived the winter in the normal shorts, although my knees tend to get pretty cold on the cycles in recent months! :eek: Toolset you say..... this idea is becoming more expensive by the minute! I got a multitool thingy with the bike and so far it has covered all my needs, but I'm guessing I have a lot more to learn! I did consider being able to do work with a turbo as a stand, but somehow I have a feeling it wouldn't be quite as handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This bike stand is very basic but does a good job of raising the rear wheel off the ground to allow you to fidget with gears, chain, and the like. It's really not comparable to a decent bike stand which safely and securely suspends the entire bike off the ground, but to be honest I sometimes find that I reach for this simple little stand rather than my full-blown stand just 'cos it is quicker and more convenient for quick/regular/simple jobs. If my full-blown workstand was permanently set up and in place I'd always opt for that, but when dealing with space limitations the small stand is very useful.

Wiggle sell this version of the same thing but for more money (though the delivery charge from Amazon might make the two comparable on price). They are not cheap, given how simple they are, but depending on what you plan to use it for it may prove more cost-effective and "space-effective" than some of the alternatives. Mind you, they are so simple that you could knock one together yourself fairly easily if you have access to tools and materials (wood or metal, or something more creative).

Edit: Halfords have an even cheaper version of the Wiggle stand, though the base looks like it could be more fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Oh, and I agree with the suggestion of tights for riding in the winter. I couldn't get by without mine. I've certainly seen people cycle in shorts in all kinds of weather, but even the thought of it makes my knees cry.

doozerie wrote: »
    This bike stand is very basic but does a good job of raising the rear wheel off the ground to allow you to fidget with gears, chain, and the like. It's really not comparable to a decent bike stand which safely and securely suspends the entire bike off the ground, but to be honest I sometimes find that I reach for this simple little stand rather than my full-blown stand just 'cos it is quicker and more convenient for quick/regular/simple jobs. If my full-blown workstand was permanently set up and in place I'd always opt for that, but when dealing with space limitations the small stand is very useful.

Wiggle sell this version of the same thing but for more money (though the delivery charge from Amazon might make the two comparable on price). They are not cheap, given how simple they are, but depending on what you plan to use it for it may prove more cost-effective and "space-effective" than some of the alternatives. Mind you, they are so simple that you could knock one together yourself fairly easily if you have access to tools and materials (wood or metal, or something more creative).

Edit: Halfords have an even cheaper version of the Wiggle stand, though the base looks like it could be more fragile.
    Thanks yeah I did look at that type of stand, but like you say yourself I might even be able to knock one of them together!! I also like the idea of the one that holds the whole bike even if both wheels are off it.
    doozerie wrote: »
    Oh, and I agree with the suggestion of tights for riding in the winter. I couldn't get by without mine. I've certainly seen people cycle in shorts in all kinds of weather, but even the thought of it makes my knees cry.
    Am begining to think at this stage maybe tights would make more sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

If you like riding your bike get some tights.

If you like admiring your bike get the stand.

Saw a few out in short shorts today.....hardcore or stupid?

Advertisement