Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What graphic Card?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all, im new to video editing, im really just messing about at the min with cyberlink and im also using proshow producer for making slides, but neither of them will run right on my puter, iv been told that maybe its my graphic's card? what type of card do i need to run these better?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

unlikely to be anything to do with your graphics card, contrary to popular "wisdom" . What do you mean by "but neither of them will run right on my puter" exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

OK well maybe its my laptop thats the problem, the proshow producer freeze's all the time (i can get the slides finished but take longer) its says Not responding, and the cyberlink is the same... the puter runs very slow when these are running, and i usually have a few things opened at once (internet and folders on the puter) so maybe is the ram? or the memory is too small?

If it helps the laptop is a hp pavillion tx2530, its ment to be a gaming laptop, its a tablet pc n i paid a lot of money for it 2 yrs ago thinking it would be a good laptop. 'ati radeon hd 3200 graphics' is what my graphics card is (i think) and its a 2g ram and 250g memory.

Iv tried cleaning the laptop up and turning things off in startup menu.... but the feckin thing is a pain in the bum... im more interested in getting the proshow to work than the cyberlink coz i want to use it for commercial purposes later on.

thanks for you help and sorry for the very long winded reply...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First off, please dont call it a "puter".

so maybe is the ram? or the memory is too small?
    Just to let you know, RAM is memory.

What you are thinking of as memory is really "Storage".

First set of specs I found:
    Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz Chip Type: AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core Mobile
    Hard Drive Capacity: 250 GB Memory (RAM): 2 GB
    Screen Size: 12.1 inches Primary Drive: DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
    Features: Carrying Case, USB, WiFi Enabled

What footage are you editing? What is it for?

At low resolutions like 640x480 the above spec is fine with simple software. Once you start going higher though you really need a better spec. Your graphics card is decent for a laptop, thats about it.

Some things you could try:
    Install and Run CCCleaner
    Clear the drive to at leats 15% free space, then defrag.
    Install and Run Speccy, then see how hot your machine gets when editing.
    Close everything you dont need before beginning to edit. If you hibernate your pc rather than shut it down, restart it before you begin.

What operating system?

Why can i not call it a puter?????

I no ram is memory, i thought hard drive was also memory... also thought 'storage' and 'memory' were pretty much the same thing....

Im havent been editing anything yet coz the programme wont run for more than 5 mins.... and its for nothing in particular, am just messing around with it at the min... it the proshow iv been using mostly and its for slides shows...

iv already ran ccleaner, cleared the drive and defrag'd...ill run speccy on it now and see how that fairs out... what do you mean see how hot it gets, coz at the mo it gets so hot that it would give you third degree burns and it shuts down, so i hope you mean hot as in runs well....

I never really shut down the laptop coz it takes too long and even longer to turn back on....

am using vista (think thats what you mean by operating system)

thanks for your help...

all speccy does is gives info on what's 'inside' the laptop.... how is this any good at making it run better????

ok i get it now, you can actually see how hot it gets, theres no need to run this, the computer is constantly hotter than fire, even the keys get very hot...its a common problem with this model laptop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I never really shut down the laptop coz it takes too long and even longer to turn back on....

am using vista (think thats what you mean by operating system)
    2 Problems there.

If you ran a linux(Nerdy Operating System) machine you could leave it on for years and it'd be fine. Not with windows though. Shutting down is kind of vital. If you try now it may well take ages, but thats because you've left it to "clog up".

Also, Vista is not great to say the least. But if its what you have it should still work.

all speccy does is gives info on what's 'inside' the laptop.... how is this any good at making it run better????

ok i get it now, you can actually see how hot it gets, theres no need to run this, the computer is constantly hotter than fire, even the keys get very hot...its a common problem with this model laptop...

Thats three then. Processors work well when they're cool. When they get to hot, they switch off or throttle down to stop themselves from melting. If you've had it for a year or more you should get a can of compressed air and clean it out.

Also, when using it, sit it on a flat table with clearance around the whole body, and plug it in. Dont even bother trying to do anything intensive on the battery.

I have no doubt that the fans are cloged, i always have it on a laptop table, could never just put it on my lap coz its so hot...

Thanks for all your help... think i mite just buy a new laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

People should really read up on how to take care of their "'puters". Although there would not be half as many lolz if this was the case!

Richy06 wrote: »
    People should really read up on how to take care of their "'puters". Although there would not be half as many lolz if this was the case!

What exactly is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I think the above post is pretty self explanatory.

• Advertisement

What has it got to do with my first post? im asking advice about graphic's card and editing software.... ????

Advertisement