Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every Glitter Helps. Tesco UK now dealing in Gold.

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Tesco has jumped on the cash for Gold scams, obviously there is money in it for them. Although they may seem more "legit" they will be no different to those back street fly by night gold merchants that have sprouted up everywhere since the start of the downturn.

As soon as the head shops have disappeared this worse menace has threatened our society. Cash for Gold scam artists only fuels burglaries and puts peoples lives at risk especially the elderly.

All these cash for gold shops should be banned in Ireland.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i1KCTtiCJJEfN7qesfXpfB54COlg?docId=N0434531294063328398A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

As long as it's not GARY GLITTER :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Most break-ins are based on the particular vulnerabilities of a given home. eg: Alarms, windows, occupied etc.

Whether Tesco do this or not there will still be robberies.... as thiefs will still want cash for a stolen laptop / TV / Car / phone... etc etc etc

Tesco entering this market wont change the mind of any thief.... they will try to rob people irrespective of what tesco do!

Would you like to ban club card tokens too!?
    I mean what thief wouldnt want to get €40 in insomnia vouchers for only €10 of club card tokens :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

With gold hovering around the $1300 per ounce mark, how can these cash for gold scams be justified. Apart from hooking ill informed people of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Cash for Gold scam artists only fuels burglaries and puts peoples lives at risk especially the elderly.

No they don't. That would be burglars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

dilallio wrote: »

He should do the ads...let's see how much that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i like the way the ads say "we even take unwanted gold". if it was wanted gold they wouldn't be selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I see these shops springing up everywhere. I can't fathom how they manage to stay in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

So because people rob gold to sell it on, cash for gold shops should be banned?

Just because something isint being properly policed does not justify its banning. Iv heard of cars been stolen for parts, should scrap yards be banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe they need the gold to put in their vaults, they are a bank now too after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

orourkeda wrote: »
    With gold hovering around the $1300 per ounce mark, how can these cash for gold scams be justified. Apart from hooking ill informed people of course.

It's a service for dumb people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the thing i alwatys wonder about cash for gold is how much antque jewellery is destroyed, ie an 16th century gold ring etc... which is worth alot more than the weight of the item.

watch antiques roadshow and youll see tens of thousands being mentioned for some pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Take aways should be banned too as they take advantage of fat people

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How much do they pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

The-Rigger wrote: »
    How much do they pay?
    how much you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

dilallio wrote: »

Glitter + burglary = cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Mousey- wrote: »
    the thing i alwatys wonder about cash for gold is how much antque jewellery is destroyed, ie an 16th century gold ring etc... which is worth alot more than the weight of the item.

watch antiques roadshow and youll see tens of thousands being mentioned for some pieces

Wonder about this myself. I'd say they're smart enough to have someone checking everything out. They probably put the good stuff up for auction. Of course it's quite possible they have untrained monkey sifting through everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tesco has jumped on the cash for Gold scams, obviously there is money in it for them. Although they may seem more "legit" they will be no different to those back street fly by night gold merchants that have sprouted up everywhere since the start of the downturn.

As soon as the head shops have disappeared this worse menace has threatened our society. Cash for Gold scam artists only fuels burglaries and puts peoples lives at risk especially the elderly.

All these cash for gold shops should be banned in Ireland.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i1KCTtiCJJEfN7qesfXpfB54COlg?docId=N0434531294063328398A

cash for gold isn't a scam, it's a way for stupid people to sell off their gold jewellery

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

cash for gold isn't a scam, it's a way for stupid people to sell off their gold jewelery

They prey on the vulnerable in society, IE, those that are stuck for cash.

You are hardly going to see anyone that is financially comfortable at these places.

They are no different to loan sharks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

They don't prey on anyone. They offer a service and if someone wants they can take them up on that. It's not a particuarly nice business but it has a legitimate right to exist. Do you also want to close down pawn shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Do you also want to close down pawn shops?

No way. Chess is my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They don't prey on anyone. They offer a service and if someone wants they can take them up on that. It's not a particuarly nice business but it has a legitimate right to exist. Do you also want to close down pawn shops?

Pawn shops are licensed and regulated with some going back generations.

These outfits that are run by "fly by nights" some operating from mail order.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I agree they prey on the vulnerable...cash for babies is where the new action is. Watch out for these popping up all over the place now we are back to being a thrid world Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What would Anne Diamond do for a living then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

stovelid wrote: »
    What would Anne Diamond do for a living then?
    Something something cot death.

Advertisement