Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurve draw length vs. compound draw length

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I was wondering what difference, if any at all, exists between the length of arrows you would need for a recurve and a compound bow.

I currently shoot recurve and my arrows are about 30 inches, a little bit more from the throat of the nock to just before the pile and I draw these until the point is past the front of the riser ( my clicker rests on the riser almost fully) comfortably without over-draw.

Reason I'm asking is that I've seen guides on selecting arrow length for compound and they all suggest measuring your wingspan to judge it. Now I wouldn't be one to cut arrows before i knew what length I needed them to be, but when it comes to selecting a bow this creates a problem.

What length to set the bow for!

Any advice guys? Just as a rough idea like, won't be going near a compound any time soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

Yep. Theres a difference in drawlenghts between a compound and recurve.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Generally, the arrows on a compound come up a bit shorter as you have the length of the D-loop and the trigger to shorten the draw length.

My recurve DL is 29" and compound is 28".

Have you got a compound already? Best just use long arrows and get someone in the know at a local club to examine your compound anchor point and form before cutting any arrows. With a compound, as you pull to the stops on the cams, if you cut the arrows to the stops where they are currently set then you have a problem if they need to pull further back after an anchor/form correction.

Ya can always cut arrows, but ya can't uncut them (:rolleyes:) so buy long and then cut to form.

Advertisement