Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ansys workbench

Options
  • 03-01-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

hi all

downloaded ansys from the net and am getting started

have a package that includes both ansys classic and ansys workbench

is ansys workbench the next big thing as it incorporates both CFX and FEA capabilities

anyone ever used it? or am I better off staying with ansys classic

FYI-don't need ansys for my current job, work as a manufacturing engineer in an FDA environment, but would like to be able to use it and have it on my CV etc etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Standard disclaimer: hope you got an official licenced ANSYS copy.

Have you used an FE package before (and understand the basic theory), or are you learning from scratch? If it's the latter I'd advise starting with ANSYS Classic (with the simplest options selected). You have to start with really basic models and verify you understand what's going on in the solution before tackling bigger problems. It's a long time since I've used ANSYS but the tutorials/help files used to have brilliant verification examples where classic problems were solved (plate with hole etc.) and compared to solutions in textbooks. It's very, very easy to make a small mistake in boundary conditions etc. which will still solve but give you the wrong result - the verification examples are traceable to proper references.

Never used Workbench but I think a proper Classic grounding is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

yes when doing my masters MEng UL was meshing turbing blades checking stresses on different materials using pro Mechanicia which is similar to Ansys classic

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Haven't used Ansys much but isn't 'Worbench' just kind of a wrapper for an analysis project. As in, within workbench you can choose to do a standard FE analysis (presumably with Ansys Classic capabilities) or do a combined CFD and FE analysis if you wish using the CFX or Fluent solvers. I don't think its like you're learning a whole new program or anything.

The tutorials are very good though, alot of them are online so you have to sign up for them.

Advertisement