Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living/Working in London over the summer

Options
  • 03-01-2011 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Am looking to move over to London this summer for 3-4 months and possibly get some paid work experience for the field im going into (Media/Advertising) while im at it. However, am happy to take up any part time work to fund my stay whilst im there.

Im at a loss as to how to do my groundwork however and would appreciate any tips/advice from those who have already had the experience :)

Jobs:

Which recruitment agency's are the most reliable/decent reputation for finding part time work?

Is the employment situation any better there then Dublin at the moment for students?

Would sending my CV to prospective employers/agency's now at an early stage be worthwhile, or wait till I arrive?

Accommodation:

From a quick search of gumtree.co.uk, rents are quite expensive, more so then Dublin. For the equivilant of €300 a month, sharing, what options would be open to me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

+1.

More or less the same situation except the internships I applied for are Investment Banking, probably will end up labouring or bartending though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Can't comment on the job side of things but €300/month is too little imo. Anyone I know renting in a shared accommodation is paying at least £450/month, probably more. If you lived really far outside central London it might be doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

From looking at property and flatshare websites we've found at least 10 different flats for £60-70 a week which is around 300pm. They were in okay areas too and looked pretty good, maybe it was because they were triple rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

A triple room at £60-£70 week per person = £180-£210 p/w for a room...which is quite expensive for one room!

You can get rooms for under £400 but it takes a bit of looking. I have known friends who get tiny single rooms for £300ish, but this would be in quite a dodgy area (which is fine if you really don't mind, not dangerous neccessarily, just grim).

£400 should get you a room in a 4+bed house in North West, East or South, but not anywhere too trendy or fancy.

Be very careful if you see rooms advertised that look suspiciously cheap...they are probably not genuine.

I don't know much about the Media/advertising industry, but most internships are generally unpaid...might get expenses, but not enough to live on. London can seem expensive, but as long as you have a full time job it is grand. It just doesn't work on part time wages unless you are working in a very skilled/well paying part time job.

Considering how competitive Media/Advertising is, I can't imagine it being easy to get a job for 3 months..but I might just be pessimistic.

Definitely start applying now though, I've also found in London that it can take a long time to get the ball rolling with jobs and the interview process can take ages. I have applied for jobs and not got the phone call for interview for 3/4 months, another month wait after interview etc.

Advertisement