Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favre retires again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Seeya..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So by him announcing his retirement, we can count down the days until he signs with Arizona or Miami?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

His final moments on the field

2462vyx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

The article says this is his 3rd retirement, i thought it was his 4th.

But hey who cares, just stay at home Brett, its time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭walt colman

Favre will go down in NFL history - as the poster-boy for staying on waaaay too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Favre will go down in NFL history - as the poster-boy for staying on waaaay too long.

Tbf he was excellent last year. Coming out last year nearly paid off for him.

He'll get lambasted from all sides but the fact is that Favre is a legend of the game. As an Eagles fan i often wished failure on him but the guy was exciting and fun to watch and his accomplishments shouldn't be forgotten or belittled.

And now i just read that he's getting sued by two former massage therapists... ah Bret you dirty dirty dog... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah as said by the last poster 4202 yards and a 107.2 QB rating in 2009 makes this statement completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

1 year too many although from a purely selfish pov I'm glad he came back as I really think McCarthy and Rodgers needed to beat him.

I'm glad this is really it. I really don't like cheering against him and give it a while and pretty much all animosity from a Packers pov should be forgotten imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

cooker3 wrote: »
    1 year too many although from a purely selfish pov I'm glad he came back as I really think McCarthy and Rodgers needed to beat him.

I'm glad this is really it. I really don't like cheering against him and give it a while and pretty much all animosity from a Packers pov should be forgotten imo.

did the 3 years he played on after Green Bay help his legacy in any way? I know from his own point of view he wanted to keep going and play as long as he could, altho last year should definitely have been that. but with the whole will he, wont he, and now the phone photo scandal, his short term legacy throughout is definitley after taking a battering. he'd have retired a legend and a complete hero had he done so after Green bay, but now he he'll be remembered for a lot of non football stuff, and a poor last season, in the short term. as it goes on, people will recall his great Packer days and his longevity, but it will take time.

I think its a shame really, as I was a great admirer of him, but I thought he was a bit of a tool really the last couple of years, and I know many of the Packers probably wont remember him as fondly as they'd like to.

That whole phone scandal was a bit of a shame. Not sure why, if he was having sex left right and centre I would probably say it was his own business. Maybe it was because I had come to almost expect more of him, and Deanna had established herself as a strong character in her own right so she had a personality that was not solely allied to him.

I think he has undoubtedly tarnished his legacy, amongst Packers fans anyway. Maybe because we would have built him into an almost superhuman being. Of course he was still an incredible character with a phenomenal career behind him, but the whole 'will he won't he retire' messing around, the off field stuff, playing for the Vikings and seeing him outclassed this season...he could have left the game as an immortal but now he shows some very ordinary traits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

That whole phone scandal was a bit of a shame. Not sure why, if he was having sex left right and centre I would probably say it was his own business. Maybe it was because I had come to almost expect more of him, and Deanna had established herself as a strong character in her own right so she had a personality that was not solely allied to him.

I think he has undoubtedly tarnished his legacy, amongst Packers fans anyway. Maybe because we would have built him into an almost superhuman being. Of course he was still an incredible character with a phenomenal career behind him, but the whole 'will he won't he retire' messing around, the off field stuff, playing for the Vikings and seeing him outclassed this season...he could have left the game as an immortal but now he shows some very ordinary traits.

I totally disagree with that statement in bold. 1 of the big reasons Favre was so loved imo was how human he was. He has always been refreshingly honest. His drugs admissions, about his wifes cancer, his fathers death etc. Did you ever see the America's Game episode with him when he said he felt nothing after he won the Superbowl.

A lot of what has happened in last 3 years is Brett being Brett. You take the good with the bad. We have had both from a Packers pov and when you look at his body of work he is still an absolute legend and in the long term that is how I expect him to be remembered.

I also actually think his final year will be remembered very little in years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yup, it's not like he holds every significant career record by a QB that will probably only ever be beaten after (and only if) the league goes 18 games.

Oh wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'll say exactly what I said in the "Favre retires" thread last year - I'll believe it when and only when week 1 of the season arrives and Brett is not on any NFL field.

OAOB wrote: »
    The article says this is his 3rd retirement, i thought it was his 4th.

But hey who cares, just stay at home Brett, its time

That's because you suck up the media hype. He never retired last summer. Never once mentioned it, and as far back as April he dropped hints he would return.

I would attribute about 80% of the Favre hype to the media. Anyone with a brain in their head could see they were like scavenging hyenas when it came to Favre. The only journalist i know of that came off with any dignity was Jason Whitlock. Guys like Jay glazer and peter King let themselves down completely, IMO.

Favre's biggest mistake was "that" announcement in early '08. which personally I suspect was a case of him being pushed, rather than explicitly choosing to retire. hence when an opportunity called (the Jets) he left!

I think Favre knew the Packers didn't want him, and truly did think about his legacy in green bay. Then, rightly, he thought "Fcuk them. i'm playing on!!!"

Legend.

cooker3 wrote: »
    He has always been refreshingly honest.

I must admit I didn't hear about the phone sex stuff until lately, after he was caught. And suspect this stuff may matter in America once one has been held up as a pinnacle of virtue, which I do think was at least some part of the attraction. I don't remember him coming out with it in '08 anyway and putting his hands up and saying it was a bad call, so not too sure his "honesty" can ever be regarded as a virtue, whatever about his playing abilities.

Again, of course he should not be judged solely by it - heck if it was Snoop Dogg I'd be saying who gives a damn - but for years and years I thought of him as the ultimate 'Everyone's All American' and the last 3 years have revealed that on and off the pitch he was not. Maybe that was my fault for assuming too much of an ordinary man with one very extraordinary gift, for playing ball. But that is kinda how I distinguished him from other sports stars, he seemed to be exemplary on and off the pitch, but he put both reputations on the line (maybe not wittingly with the family issue) for too long and both were shown to be flawed at the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Couldn't agree with you more. All he did was damage his stats this year. He should have left it at Green Bay and walked away with all his records a NFL legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Very sad to see him walk away from the game but sadly it is time. It's because of him I started following this game. Mid-term break 07. MNF @ Denver, that overtime bomb to Jennings. I was hook. I spent most of the next day reading up on him. Just started out looking at his Wiki page but there was so much more to the man. Just wish I could of seen him play a few more seasons myself.
    I dont buy into all this tarnishing his legend crap. He returned for him to see if he could give it one last shot. Didn't work out this season but his numbers last season were fantastic. I mean come on the man was 40!! Hope we get to see him in the public eye again wither it be coaching or media but I suspect he'll take a few years to just wind down and hunt :D
    Happy retirement Brett. See you in Canton :)

I dont buy into all this tarnishing his legend crap...I mean come on the man was 40!!

It's a perfectly good reason as to why things caught up with him on the turf, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't give any dispensation when it comes to chasing women around for sex behind the wife's back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He loves the game, wanted to keep playing, and there was a team who were happy to pay him to keep playing.

Who the fúck are you guys to say he should have left? Anyone who thinks a player should retire to preserve good stats is an idiot.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Who the fúck are you guys to say he should have left? Anyone who thinks a player should retire to preserve good stats is an idiot.

I certainly did not say he should have left, obviously that was his decision. And frankly if he sent pics of his penis to a hundred women, that's his decision too.

I am not prescribing what he should and should not have done, merely saying that in response to the question is his image tarnished, well yes I think it is. And that is a subjective matter, others are entitled to say that in their eyes his image is not tarnished at all.

• Advertisement

I certainly did not say he should have left, obviously that was his decision. And frankly if he sent pics of his penis to a hundred women, that's his decision too.

I am not prescribing what he should and should not have done, merely saying that in response to the question is his image tarnished, well yes I think it is. And that is a subjective matter, others are entitled to say that in their eyes his image is not tarnished at all.

I think his legacy at green Bay is tarnished, but ultimately he had to decide between retiring and preserving his legacy, or playing on and tarnishing it. He chose to play on. Less than a year ago, he almost made the Super Bowl after his best season statistically. I think he made the right choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

For some reason I always loved Favre. My first memory of Favre comes froma Thursday Night game between the Cowboys and the Packers. Favre threw the most appalling interception, and since then I always had great time for him/

TBH I think this will be the end of Favre. It is impossible to see him sign on for any team in the role of back-up. What would Arizona gain by signing him ? Eventually he will have to hang up his boots. It would be far better to see how Skelton gets on, and if he fails to perform, the Cards can look to pastures a new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Was working in Southern Miss in late 96/early 97 so Farve/Packers hold good memories for me. He will be rightly be remembered as an all-time great and maybe he could have played safe and reired when pushed out of Green Bay but last year proved he still had something to offer.BTW with the phone thing there is some reverse racism going on here IMO......many any NFL players engage in worse than this and there is less about it

BTW with the phone thing there is some reverse racism going on here IMO......many any NFL players engage in worse than this and there is less about it

:eek:

What sort of nonsense is this?

It is not reverse racism to comment that a man sending pictures of his penis to a woman who doesn't want them is objectionable. It is common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Sports Illustrated's Truth & Rumours section has the follwing "There isn't any chance of Bret Favre playing for the Vikings again. But it wouldn't be surprising if he were to end up somewhere next season, maybe the Buffalo Bills or the Washington Redskins. Either could get in the spotlight with Favre while dveloping a QB".

Sounds like nonsense to me but who knows when you're talking about Favre?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Favre files retirement papers with NFL after 20 seasons

Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre officially filed his retirement papers with the NFL, the league confirmed Monday.
    Favre, 41, sat out the last two games because of a concussion and said the season would be his last.

"I know it's time, and that's OK. It is," Favre said after the Vikings' season-ending loss to the Detroit Lions. "Again, I hold no regrets, and I can't think of too many players offhand that can walk away and say that. Individually and from a team standpoint, it was way more than I ever dreamed of."
    Favre also retired in 2008 with the Green Bay Packers and 2009 with the New York Jets, only to return to the field both times when the football bug bit him this past summer.
    Favre said he knew there will be doubters again.
    "I don't know for me if it's ever easy," he said. "I'm sure throughout this year, the comment has been made that, 'We'll wait and see in August or September,' and that's fine. It's time. I'm OK with it."
    If this indeed is the end -- for real, this time -- for Favre, one of the most colorful and celebrated careers in league history concluded with a season filled with interceptions, injuries and insults.
    Favre was picked off 19 times this season, and his 69.9 passer rating was the lowest of his career. The Vikings sunk to the bottom of the NFC North after starting the season with Super Bowl aspirations, coach Brad Childress was fired during the season, and Favre was fined $50,000 for failure to cooperate with an NFL investigation into allegations that he sent lewd photos and messages to a team employee when both worked for the Jets in 2008.
    Favre's reputation took a serious hit from the humiliating scandal, which tarnished the image of one of the league's most popular players.
    Favre's union with wide receiver Randy Moss also was a spectacular failure, and his cherished streak of 297 consecutive starts ended, with a sprained throwing shoulder making it impossible for the quarterback to let those famously zip-filled passes rip from his right arm.

And just for good measure, the Metrodome roof caved in to provide a perfect metaphor for Favre and the Vikings' 2010, forcing the team to play "home" games in Detroit and the University of Minnesota's outdoor stadium in December."It's been a wonderful experience for me," Favre said. "This year did not work out the way we would have hoped, but that's football. I don't regret coming back. I enjoyed my experience here."
    The season started reluctantly, with Favre having serious reservations about coming back after surgery on his ankle. He also wondered if he could duplicate his incredible 2009 performance, which he called the best of his career.
    Childress had to send three of Favre's closest friends on the team -- Ryan Longwell, Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson -- on a private plane to Hattiesburg, Miss., to coax the old man into coming back for one more shot at a Super Bowl.
    "All indications, when I talk with him, and we've had many, many discussions -- this is it," new Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "I don't even think it'll be an issue in the future. I don't see any situation that's going to change his mind. You might say, 'We'll, we've been down that road before,' but it's different now. Things are different, in his life and in the organization's life as well."
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

See you next year then Brett!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

#4 repairing his Packers' legacy?
    Brett Favre may have left Green Bay three years ago, but he's still got the Packers in his heart.

“I think they will win it all!”

-- Brett Favre on the Packers in an e-mail response to ESPN's Ed Werder
    In an e-mail response to ESPN's Ed Werder, Favre said Monday that the Packers are "by far" the best team left in the NFL playoffs.

"[Packers QB] Aaron [Rodgers] is the best QB and the receiving corps is the best ever, maybe," Favre said in the e-mail. "But [defensive coordinator] Dom [Capers] and the defense gets the MVP award at this stage."

Rodgers, whose emergence made Favre expendable in Green Bay before the 2008 season, led the Packers to a dominant 48-21 win over the top-seeded Falcons on Saturday.

Favre officially filed retirement papers with the league Monday after two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings and one year with the New York Jets. The 41-year-old Mississippi native originally retired in 2008 after the Packers decided to go with Rodgers as their starting quarterback.

However, Favre decided he wanted to return later in the year and was eventually traded to the Jets.

"I think they will win it all! I hope they do, if you are wondering," Favre said in the e-mail.

Important bits bolded!

Can't disagree with him, either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I was watching SportsCentre this morning and they pointed out that this seems to be it BUT if the NFL can't reach a new CBA and the dispute stretches into next season (not entirely outside the realm of possibility), there may be a shortened 2011-2012 season. In that situation, maybe, just maybe, a team might persuade Favre to come out of retirement as he wouldn't have to play a full season. I hope neither scenario pans out but they're both possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I will believe his retirement when he misses a season, and not before.

Old quarterbacks never die, they just fumble about while making sideline passes at cheerleaders. ;)

Advertisement