Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Standard Construction Home Insurance - Help

Options
  • 03-01-2011 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We built a house a few years ago in wexford which is of non standard construction. At the time most insurance companies wouldn't even quote. Last year we got a quote for €750 which we felt was pretty steep, but as we didn't have a range of options we had to go with it. This year the same company has just sent us out our renewal form quoting €1135. Can anyone tell me why the insurance would jump almost €400 in one year when we have had no previous claims????? We are currently with Kidd Insurances. Does anyone who has built a non standard house know of a company that would give a better quote than this? I think it's unbelievable that insurance companies can get away with this!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can you tell me the nature of the non-standard construction? From my experience, Kidd Insurances are fairly reasonable for your situation and, without them, you may have had to go uninsured.

Don't forget that ALL house insurances have gone up over the last year but you may still have options. A few more details please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CarolD1

The house is solid timber with render and cladding outside. I am not actually blaming Kidd insurance ... more the underwriters. How can they possibly justify raising their costs by 54% in one year. I do realise ALL house insurance costs have gone up in the last year.... as they have been for years... but isn't it about time that we start to question why? These companies have been making colossal amounts of money for so long without anyone querying anything!! I wasn't initially insured with Kidd .. we only moved to them about 2 years ago... but I know there are more options out there now than when we initially built. We're being told constantly that we should be looking at building eco friendly and sustainable houses for the future... which is what we did and paid more to do so and then we find ourselves punished for doing so by the insurance companies. In my opinion they will always have an excuse to put the premiums up ... no matter what people do!!!

I'm sure there are Insurers out there who will quote on a solid timber house, but Kidds are the only ones I know.

Insurers will charge what they can and you are in a situation where there is little or no competition.

As for the Eco argument, pardon the expression, but Insurers aren't 'tree huggers' and don't give a flick about that side of things. It's about premium - claims = profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CarolD1

Thanks for your comments .. unfortunately I didn't find any of them very helpful. I would almost think that you are involved in the insurance business yourself!!!!!

I have since done a lot of shopping around and have been able to find a quote ... even cheaper than the one we got from Kidds last year .. never mind this year!!! So if anyone out there is looking for the same as me please don't be afraid to contact me and I can pass on the information!:)

CarolD1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments .. unfortunately I didn't find any of them very helpful. I would almost think that you are involved in the insurance business yourself!!!!!
    I am, what's your point?????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 crl

CarolD1 wrote: »

I have since done a lot of shopping around and have been able to find a quote ... even cheaper than the one we got from Kidds last year .. never mind this year!!! So if anyone out there is looking for the same as me please don't be afraid to contact me and I can pass on the information!:)

Hi CarolD1
    This is my first post.
    I have a holiday home of non-standard construction. Just received my renewal quote which is +55% on last year with no claims. Oldyouth posts were very unhelpful (sounds like he could be Kidd Ins!).
    I would be delighted to receive any helpful info to enable me to improve on the quote.

Thanks in advance.

crl wrote: »
    Hi CarolD1
    This is my first post.
    I have a holiday home of non-standard construction. Just received my renewal quote which is +55% on last year with no claims. Oldyouth posts were very unhelpful (sounds like he could be Kidd Ins!).
    I would be delighted to receive any helpful info to enable me to improve on the quote.

Thanks in advance.
    I don't work for Kidd Insurances but that doesn't mean I don't know my shilt. Not every piece of accurate advice brings a guarantee of a nice cosy hug. You dismiss my offering but still look for answers yourself.

Advertisement