Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to post photos?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I am sure it has been asked before, but I still cannot post photos here. I have no problem doing it to my facebook account, but somehow it does not work here. a little help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Fuinseog,

you can upload your photos to free image hosting websites such as imageshack or photobucket. These then provide your pictures with different types of links and insertion codes. You just copy and paste an appropriate code into your thread and the pictures are there. The best way (also for people who look at the site with their mobile phones) is to use a link code that produces thumbnail images in thread. The forum users can then click on the thumbnails and open the actual image size.

Makes it easier for scrolling through threads. Danpatjoe has a good system going as well, maybe he can tell you what he uses for posting his images here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/rexmundi77/

so now I can do the link. enlarging and actually posting the photos here requires a bit more fiddling around.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h359/rexmundi77/DSCF0647.jpg

There should be different links for individual photobucket images. Have a close look at the image you have uploaded on the photobucket site. There should be options such as different forum options etc.

Then use the "Insert image" option here when writing a thread (the little postcard picture beside the different font options).

Try inserting your link there.

Or look for photobucket links which have Http........ Just copy and paste that link here.

What you are doing at the moment is sharing your whole photobucket album with everyone here. UYou may or may not want to do this ;)

Here's one of you pics from the album as single photo link:

DSCF0533.jpg

Here's a different one with direct link and image insertion:

DSCF0528.jpg

• Advertisement

When you upload images to photobucket also select the create thumbnail option. This provides your images as thumbnails which make them smaller for forums. People can then click on the thumbnail and see the full pic.

As for the posting of your pics further down just click on one of your pics in the album. You'll see four different link options coming up. Just chose the last one with the IMG in it. It automatically copies the link so you just have to paste it in your thread.

Preusse wrote: »
    There should be different links for individual photobucket images. Have a close look at the image you have uploaded on the photobucket site. There should be options such as different forum options etc.

Then use the "Insert image" option here when writing a thread (the little postcard picture beside the different font options).

Try inserting your link there.

Or look for photobucket links which have Http........ Just copy and paste that link here.

What you are doing at the moment is sharing your whole photobucket album with everyone here. UYou may or may not want to do this ;)

thanks for your efforts Preusse. I am not very computer literate so it will take me a while to get my head around it.
    my photobucket album should only have pictures from my militaria collection, i hope

It won't be too difficult. Play around with the different options available and see what suits you best. Use this thread as a test area and we can delete the ones you don't like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hello Fuinseog,

I use the free image hosting site postimage, as they don't have a problem with images of the swastika, unlike photobucket or imageshack.
    I find them handy as they can automatically resize your image to your preference when uploading, and also give thumbnail view options.

http://www.postimage.org/

They are very user friendly. You just create an account to upload your pictures, then to use them on forums, you select the desired picture and click the 'show codes' option (shown here) -
    pik1.jpg

Then when the code window opens, you select the 'copy to clipboard' option in the 'Thumbnails for Forums (1)' field, and paste directly into your post. (No need to select any image urls or anything else)
    Pik2.jpg

If you don't get any of the other options working, I hope this helps.
    Regards - Dan

BTW, Nice Souval EK2 and Imperial EK1 (this looks like a TR produced cross).

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Hello Fuinseog,

I use the free image hosting site postimage, as they don't have a problem with images of the swastika, unlike photobucket or imageshack.
    I find them handy as they can automatically resize your image to your preference when uploading, and also give thumbnail view options.

http://www.postimage.org/

They are very user friendly. You just create an account to upload your pictures, then to use them on forums, you select the desired picture and click the 'show codes' option (shown here) -
    pik1.jpg

Then when the code window opens, you select the 'copy to clipboard' option in the 'Thumbnails for Forums (1)' field, and paste directly into your post. (No need to select any image urls or anything else)
    Pik2.jpg

If you don't get any of the other options working, I hope this helps.
    Regards - Dan

BTW, Nice Souval EK2 and Imperial EK1 (this looks like a TR produced cross).

thanks for that. I did not realise photobucket has a problem with the swastika. they have not gotten on to me yet.

how do you recognise a Souval EK2 and would it be very much run of the mill? i am convinced that many junk shops selling iron crosses abroad have no idea what kind of iron cross it is and its possible to get a rare one at a good price.
    what do you mean by TR?

• Advertisement

Just a quick note: if you put your photoalbum on private on photobucket they don;t remove swastika items etc. They only do it on open albums that anyone who browses the site can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Preusse wrote: »
    Just a quick note: if you put your photoalbum on private on photobucket they don;t remove swastika items etc. They only do it on open albums that anyone who browses the site can see.

That's a good tip. I actually started my militaria photo site because of photobucket and imageshack constantly deleting photos on me.

I am glad I started it now but I remember how annoying their interference was at the time when I used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Fuinseog wrote: »
    thanks for that. I did not realise photobucket has a problem with the swastika. they have not gotten on to me yet.

how do you recognise a Souval EK2 and would it be very much run of the mill? i am convinced that many junk shops selling iron crosses abroad have no idea what kind of iron cross it is and its possible to get a rare one at a good price.
    what do you mean by TR?

A Souval EK2 is probably the easiest to recognise - they have heavily rounded inner corners and very distinctive 'cornices' on the beading at the outer corners, rather like crows feet. They are quite common and unfortunately production continued post 1945 for the souvenir market, so there will always be a question hanging over them.

When I said TR produced, I meant produced during the Third Reich period - the cross looks larger than the standard Imperial version.

@ Preusse:
    Thanks for that tip, I wasn't aware of the privacy thing.

Morlar wrote: »
    That's a good tip. I actually started my militaria photo site because of photobucket and imageshack constantly deleting photos on me.
    danpatjoe wrote: »
    @ Preusse:
    Thanks for that tip, I wasn't aware of the privacy thing.

Hi guys, not sure if it's an official thing they do but I only noticed that they haven't deleted anything in my albums and I have a lot of items there. I always keep the albums on private there.

Yes, you have a nice site Morlar, it would just be too much for me to actually start a site, that's why I go with some image hosting sites. ;)

Advertisement