Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man from Nowhere / 아저씨

Options
  • 03-01-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Finally got the chance to watch this lately. It's a recent South Korean action / crime thriller and I was very impressed with it. Wiki info here The man from Nowhere

Lots of action and violence on a similar vein to Oldboy which is an absolutely fantastic movie if you haven't seen it. There's even a hammer hatchet nod to Oldboy for those of you who have seen it.

I highly recommend this movie. Lots of action, a good script and great actors. Unfortunately, as always with foreign movies, especially from Asia, a lot is lost in translation so some of the subtitles may seem unusual in English.

Poster
    The_Man_from_Nowhere_poster.jpg

And trailer (English sub)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Just watched it there.
    Brilliant.
    Plenty of (excellent) action and violence, but the story and acting make it unmissable for anybody who is a fan of cinema.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just watched this film myself. It is brilliant, great action scenes but it's also a film with a nice backstory and plenty of dramatical scenes as well.

I really can't recommend this film enough, if you get the chance you should definitely check it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Another excellent Korean thriller. It's no Old Boy and the plot is recycled from a dozen other films in the genre, but I enjoyed it immensely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished watching this. I was rolling my eyes at some of the trite 'twists' and cliched narrative tricks in the middle act
    (pregnancies! stealth transport! secret government operative!)
    , but other than that thoroughly enjoyable. The first act actually sets up the relationships well - the kid and mysterious stranger plot is cheesy, but endearingly so! Then gets fairly standard revenge thriller for a while, but comes back with some spectacular sequences, like the one in the dance club. And the climactic action scene is one of the most visceral I've seen, brilliantly choreographed.

Not the best film Korea has put out recently, but a very good one indeed.

Advertisement