Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Audio Interface

Options
  • 03-01-2011 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Any ideas of which one I should get, for a PC laptop? The cheaper the better really. As you might be able to guess I don't have a vast knowledge on the subject, so I'm not sure how much I need to spend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

have a look at the m-audio fast-track range. theres 3 or 4 differant interfaces ranging from about 100 euro to about 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

I'd recommend the Calkwalk UA-25 - €189 in thomann, it's cheap enough, has built in compressor/limiter, hi/z input for guitar and bass and come bundled with Sonar (not a favourite of mine) but still good for starting off!

Here's the link: http://www.thomann.de/ie/cakewalk_ua25_ex_cw.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The most popular ones I see are the 2 audio inputs + midi in / out, that covers most bases. Of those the UA 25 or fasttrack pro are fine but I'd put the focusrite saffire 6 ahead on quality.

What will you be using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tago

Thanks for the recommendations, the M-Audio and Cakewalk ones both look good, and not too expensive. Can the Cakewalk one only be used with Cakewalk software?

I'll be using it to make electronic music using softsynths primarily, and probably will record some vocals and guitar with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

tago wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations, the M-Audio and Cakewalk ones both look good, and not too expensive. Can the Cakewalk one only be used with Cakewalk software?

I'll be using it to make electronic music using softsynths primarily, and probably will record some vocals and guitar with it as well.

Nope It works with others aswell grand. Conincidentally that's the exact purpose behind me getting the ua25 in the first place (not that i specifically thought "I need this" - it just happened to fit my requirements).

At the moment I generally shy away from using big programmes like Sonar and equivalents as they are a bit of surplus for my needs (unless I'm adding some fancy vst effects to a track) - they don't lend themselves to a free flowing recording session in my opinion (i generally use audacity to quickly record an idea, then manipulate the recording in Reason. However I'm not exactly familiar with Sonar yet so that's another reason behind me not using it more regulary. That and my pc isn't very powerful so it tends to eat up whatever meagre power my pc has.

• Advertisement
Advertisement