Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if I don't go to an exam?

Options
  • 03-01-2011 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

I've already passed the Information Systems module this semester (1st year), and frankly I think it's the most pointless module on earth unless you've never used a computer in your life.

Can I just skip the exam? Will there be any penalties? I'd like to focus on something I've haven't passed already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

personally i would'nt risk it. But thats me. I would imagine there will be no penalties, Unless, you are required to pass each part of the module which would be the CA's and exam.
    Probably best to email lecturer and ask.
    If it is really easy, you can study for something else and still do the exam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd be amazed if had to pass both parts of the module as this hasn't been said to us at all. Quite the opposite in fact, some lecturers have mentioned trying to do as well as possible in the CA to ease the pressure for the exam.

I think I'll go to the exam and just get a few extra marks that might come in handy, but I won't study for it. I have an exam on Monday that I really need to devote my time to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I thought you still need to pass all your exams regardless of marks with CA?

Just do the exam, its ONE day, cop on! :P

The more likely scenario is that you'll be made repeat it next Summer. no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im preety sure u have to turn up to the test but definatley turn up youll get a better mark if u do

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Your award mark for a course is based on your scores in both the CA and written exam element if there is one ( some courses are CA only ).

You need to "pass" both the CA and exam element to progress. If you do not show for your exam your result will be listed as an NG or NP (No Paper) or similar and you will fail the module.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭cactus10

macrubicon wrote: »

You need to "pass" both the CA and exam element to progress. If you do not show for your exam your result will be listed as an NG or NP (No Paper) or similar and you will fail the module.

I have a spreadsheet infront of me from my lecturer stating i need 1% to pass a module, so i guess this means you don't need to separately pass the exam, just a combined pass?

macrubicon wrote: »
    Your award mark for a course is based on your scores in both the CA and written exam element if there is one ( some courses are CA only ).

If that's the case then the college have done a piss poor job at communicating that to us. I can safely say that everyone on my course is under the impression that you only need to attain a pass mark overall, as in 40% combined from CA & Exam. In fact I remember the head of the course coming in to us on the first night of the year and practically explain it like that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Not showing up to an exam you can expect to do well in is daft. Even if you are right (and I'm not convinced you are), you'll get a much better overall mark if you produce any kind of an exam paper, and if something goes horribly wrong in another part of your course the higher marks can be used in mitigation. By all means don't waste your time studying if you don't feel it's necessary but at least show up and do something.

I taught in an IT for a spell, and while the specifics of marking may well have changed I can assure you that no-one involved in designing and running your course is going to be impressed. Your external examiner in particular will not be pleased, and will chew your lecturer's ear on the subject (this much I remember). Why bother irritating people whose good opinion you could well be depending on?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Each module is different and yours may have different criteria. If that's how your head explained it then that's how it is for your modules.

It may not be the same for all.

Your overall pass is a combination of both but depending on weightings not getting a pass in the written could jepardise a lot. If the written is a low % then that's a different matter.

Not showing for one though is a bad idea. If you are borderline on any score - your attendence, course work and general involvement with the class can put you over the edge - be that pass to merit or merit - distinction overall or just on a border of grade for the subject.

What your getting here is a broad stroke of the general stuff - if you want to know specifics you will need to get that info from the people who put together your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Why skip an exam that's worth marks? It all adds to your GPA. If you mess up on another exam, you'll be in trouble, especially if they see you've skipped an exam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The mind boggles. Don't skip exams. Do bare minimum study if you must but it is absolutely ridiculous to miss an exam for no reason beyond disinterest or laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I've already passed the Information Systems module this semester (1st year), and frankly I think it's the most pointless module on earth unless you've never used a computer in your life.

Can I just skip the exam? Will there be any penalties? I'd like to focus on something I've haven't passed already!
    Did you go to your exam?

I did, I even did a small bit of study for it on the morning, picked up a few extra marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I did, I even did a small bit of study for it on the morning, picked up a few extra marks.

Congrats

Advertisement