Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kung fu Galway?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

I dread that this may be a futile endeavor but does anyone know of any kung fu clubs in Galway? I used to train with John Eastlake (bak shaolin eagle claw) who was probably one of the most positive influential figures I've ever encountered so far.. But since he left, I haven't been able to find a new club.

If kung fu is non existent here, does anyone know what's out there apart from boxing, muay thai, karate or tae kwon do? I heard vague whispers of a new martial arts center opening somewhere on the east side of the city, but heard no more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

Check out the Galway Black Dragon Kickboxing Club in the Riverside Commercial Estate, Tuam Road, Galway - www.blackdragon.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poochieroche

i've been looking around for kung fu myself in Galway,
    i did tai kwon do in Renmore for a year,great teacher,but not for me,
    did tai chi in the city with Niall O'floinn,liked it a lot,its great stuff, but i'm looking for something more physical right now....
    as far as i know,there is no one teaching at the moment,maybe if you have an email for the guy who was here before,he might have some help for you....
    i'm thinking of giving this place a go, they do a few arts there,
    school of judo,
    Unit 27 Oldenway Business Park Ballybrit, Galway, Co. Galway, Ireland'
    good luck anyway and if you hear anything about kung fu,
    please let me know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i'm back to sports after a few injuries - only into swimming but would like to complete with some martial art that would force me to stretch the muscles...

... if a kung fu sensei would teach in galway, count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Shades

How many people do be in the Wing Chun classes in Galway ?

What ages would they be ?

As a newcomer to self defence / martial arts what can one expect in a class like this ? What is the differance between this and other forums of martial arts that galway has to offer ? Is wing chun a good starting point for someone looking into martial arts for fitness/fun/mindfullness/confidence?

I would PM the OP who posted about the class but i do not have enough post

Thanks

• Advertisement

hei there

from personal experience (and mind the following posters that might disagree with me that this is only my own opinion) i think martial arts are more like a way of living that complement your life as a sport - having that said, it's the attitude you bring to the dojo that will define your style

i was away from MA due to other sports for a good while but i would like to come back - call it cheesy if you want but i'm looking for inner and outer balance along with some fitness - my other sport is swimming and for as much as i love it to the point of going to the pool everyday, i miss a bit the group practice effect

as far as styles go, i think it comes down to a matter of taste - think of a combat situation and how would you handle it - i'm not an expert in defining what you should pick but if you go to youtube and type aikido, tae kwon do, wing chun, judo and thai box i'm sure you can get a fair idea of what their combat styles are - think which character you pick first in tekken :D

i'd say follow the link and email your man there - hopefully he can be better help than me :D

best of lucks

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

Shades wrote: »
    How many people do be in the Wing Chun classes in Galway ?

What ages would they be ?

As a newcomer to self defence / martial arts what can one expect in a class like this ? What is the differance between this and other forums of martial arts that galway has to offer ? Is wing chun a good starting point for someone looking into martial arts for fitness/fun/mindfullness/confidence?

I would PM the OP who posted about the class but i do not have enough post

Thanks

Think you can talk to me about Wing chun :)
    I don't know how the western world trains in Wing chun, but speaking for how majority of them train in HongKong. They're not into physical fitness training like Kick boxing, they won't be doing press ups or jogging etc, they're more into the technique, depends on how u see it, its's a double edge sword, for someone who's not physically fit to begin with, no matter how good your technique are, you'll go tired after a few mins. You can strike your opponent many times, but if u can't take one hit, the game's still over for ya.
    In wingchun, first 3-6months you'll probably bored your head off, you just stand there and doing these slow "tai-chi like" movement which doens't resemble anything u'd use in combat, but the fun begins when you're master teaches u how to stick hands, or they call it "Chi sao" , try youtube it and see yourself.
    I;ve been to a few wingchun club in ireland and sadly none of them have a wooden dummy, I happen to have one in my Dublin home, shipped all the way from US. Without a wooden dummy,...i cant see how any student would get to a practical level, its like learning to box with no sandbag in gym, you learn the techique and u master the movements....but its like empty if u've never trained on the bags.
    I'm base in Roscommon now. PM me if u wanna know more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dave Kelly Ire

Hey there is a great kung fu class in Galway city, Its on every Monday at NUIGalway meeting out side the college bar at 6.50pm, class is on for two hours and costs 10euro, all welcome email kungfugaillimh@gmail.com for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 29 RogueFaye

Hey there is a great kung fu class in Galway city, Its on every Monday at NUIGalway meeting out side the college bar at 6.50pm, class is on for two hours and costs 10euro, all welcome email kungfugaillimh@gmail.com for more info

by kungfu, what sort of style are we talking about in NUI?

Advertisement