Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep issues

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Folks,
    I have recently changed to the night shift at work and I am finding it really hard to sleep. For the first three weeks it was fine and I was able to sleep with no difficulty with the transition from nights to days but for the past few weeks I have had very few full nights sleep. The problem started when my boyfriend, who I have been seeing for over a year now stayed a mine for a few night in a row. In the entire time we have been together I have been unable to sleep when we share a bed. We both know where we stand so there are no trust issues but I just can’t sleep. He stayed when I had just come off the night shift and I slept very little over a 3 night period and since that I have been unable to get good nights sleep. I have always been a great sleeper and am finding this very hard to deal with. There are a few stressful factors in my life at the moment with a very sick parent which has probably added to the problem. I am getting concerned that I may end up having permanent sleep issues and am afraid that I may end up getting sick myself, which at the point of my life I really cannot afford. Most nights for the past month I have had around 3-4 hours sleep. There have been nights where I have had no sleep at all and it is getting to the stage where I am so concerned about loosing sleep that even when I start to fall asleep I get excited at the prospect and my heart rate increases which causes me to become more alert and wakes me up. I was driving on the wrong side of the road without realizing last week due to exhaustion. If I thought it was just the night shift that was causing the problem and it would sort itself out in time then I would feel more at ease. I have been to the doctor who gave me light sleeping tablets which so far have not helped at all. I have taken them on the nights when I just couldn’t sleep and they had no affect and I stayed awake the whole night. Can anyone offer advice on this? Has anyone changed shift and had this problem? How long does it generally take to adjust to a night shift, I know it depends on the person but just a rough idea would help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Hi Folks,
    I have recently changed to the night shift at work and I am finding it really hard to sleep. For the first three weeks it was fine and I was able to sleep with no difficulty with the transition from nights to days but for the past few weeks I have had very few full nights sleep. The problem started when my boyfriend, who I have been seeing for over a year now stayed a mine for a few night in a row. In the entire time we have been together I have been unable to sleep when we share a bed. We both know where we stand so there are no trust issues but I just can’t sleep. He stayed when I had just come off the night shift and I slept very little over a 3 night period and since that I have been unable to get good nights sleep. I have always been a great sleeper and am finding this very hard to deal with. There are a few stressful factors in my life at the moment with a very sick parent which has probably added to the problem. I am getting concerned that I may end up having permanent sleep issues and am afraid that I may end up getting sick myself, which at the point of my life I really cannot afford. Most nights for the past month I have had around 3-4 hours sleep. There have been nights where I have had no sleep at all and it is getting to the stage where I am so concerned about loosing sleep that even when I start to fall asleep I get excited at the prospect and my heart rate increases which causes me to become more alert and wakes me up. I was driving on the wrong side of the road without realizing last week due to exhaustion. If I thought it was just the night shift that was causing the problem and it would sort itself out in time then I would feel more at ease. I have been to the doctor who gave me light sleeping tablets which so far have not helped at all. I have taken them on the nights when I just couldn’t sleep and they had no affect and I stayed awake the whole night. Can anyone offer advice on this? Has anyone changed shift and had this problem? How long does it generally take to adjust to a night shift, I know it depends on the person but just a rough idea would help?

We cannot give out psychological or medical advice here. Get yourselve to you, gp, that 's the nost imoart thing too do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 little_dorrit

Thank for the post reply Odysseus. I am going to go back to the doctor on Tuesday to see what my options are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement