Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand Tack/Rugs

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Im in dire need of getting two turnout rugs, a 5ft9 and a 5ft 6. Want horseware rambos but as everyone knows, they are very expensive!

Have tried ebay but most of the listings are UK based and dont post to Ireland...

Is there any website in Ireland where you can buy and sell secondhand tack/saddles/rugs etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Have you tried adverts.ie?

They have an equestrian section which often has tack and rugs advertised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Try the Horseware factory shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thanks Convert, will check it out now.

Borderfox, I walked into the Horseware shop just before xmas, i asked one of the girls on the floor if they had any seconds in the Rambo range and she replied 'no, just firsts'.

Are you supposed to ask somewhere other than in the main shop? She was short with me and not very helpful to be honest...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

might be worth posting on donedeal.ie
    I used to have a Rambo on the late great H.The new boy has a heavy full neck rug from Berneys and it seems to be the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

As far as I know the Berneys one's are made by Shire's equestrian, so you coud look that direction to..
    There are loads of different good brands out there, one I have always liked and used was The William Funnel range.. It's sits great and about half the price of a Rambo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

definitely worth keeping an eye on donedeal - not just for people selling them, but there tends to be ads for warehouse clearances by shops/factories around the country as well - usually a few good bargains to be had!

i've a homestead one on my horse at the moment, she needs a full neck because otherwise her hair on her neck turns an entirely different colour and texture to her body - not a little bit like, we're talking bay mare turns blond on the neck for the winter, strangest thing ever... (slight aside, anyone ever seen that before?!? :)

but back to the rug, try to stick with the bigger horsey sites like donedeal, horseplay, horsehunter, and irishhorsetrader if your going to buy one, ordered a bit from a small tack site a while ago that never appeared....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Equestrian Clearance Warehouse based in the UK but have a flat rate of postage to Ireland of £12 no matter how much you order...

Some bargains to be had but as it's clearance, the stock can be hit & miss... I've had a few good deals off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

Hi,
    I was looking out for a good while for a second hand rambo for my new horse as the one i have is 6'6" and its slipping back and then putting pressure on the withers. I find rambo to be the most hard wearing rugs and i have had my one for 6 years now and never even needed to reproof it. So i measured him and I thought 5'9" was the size he needed. I found one on ebay in northern ireland, had to pay 120e for to get it though and this was only a couple of weeks ago. Anyway long story short I must have measured wrong and its too small so it you are interested PM me, its a heavy weight red rambo with a lighter but built in neck cover and it has three straps under the belly.
    I also rang the horsewear shop enquiring about seconds and got a lady who was quite unhelpful!
    The donedeal is usually a good place for horse tack but i have only seen one rambo on there and it was sold when i rang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 its like this

try the equine warehouse theyre very cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

I have a pile of rugs in one of my shed, probably 4 or 5 of them. I am not sure what size they are, but the will fit horses from 14 hand light to 15.2 heavy. They are all in reasonnably good condition, but I don't rug my horses anymore, so I have no use for them.
    You can have them for free if you collect them. If you want me to send them by courrier, you'll have to pay for P&P.
    If you are interested. PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Thank you so much for your offer Chevalfou but i couldnt accept. Money is tight for me at the moment as it is with everyone but I think these rugs would be better donated to a horse welfare charity to help horses in desperate need...

Maybe:

http://www.ihwt.ie/site/ ?

Advertisement