Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favourite Birdie?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 10:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Happy new year gang!

Just looking at all the pics of birds at feeders and all over this forum so I was wondering of all the birds, which is your favourite...

I love robins and goldfinches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Robin,Blue tits and Coal tits they have consistantly feeding in our garden
    this year.The Robin has been waking us up singing his heart out every morning
    so far.They would be my favourites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Long Tailed Tits for me. I love seeing a family of them all on one feeder with not one bit of aggro between any of them. We had 11 of them at one stage last month. The other tits (Coal, Blue and Great) are close behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Very hard to pick a favourite............Kingfisher for its exotic plumage, brilliant fishing skills, elusiveness, speed and sheer breathtaking beauty, always makes my heart soar. But all birds give me so much pleasure even the rooks and jackdaws that annialate all the feeders is two seconds flat. The little wren like a little tiny ball of feathers with a tiny tail and huge voice, the colourful goldfinch, the lady chaffinch which has impeccable manners and sits and waits for the feeders to be free before even thinking about approaching them, and they have a beautiful way of posing for the camera. The Robin that will fiercely defend its terratory, The amazing Dipper that walks on the bottom of fast running streams to feed and whose song can be heard above the most rushing of rivers.

I could go on forever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Magpies, cheeky buggers,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Magpies, cheeky buggers,
    This time of year: the elusive Red wing, Blue Tit...(so gregarious and cheeky) Red Kite my favourite: (still never saw one yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gannet[1].jpg

Gannet, Puffin, or any Gull really.

Never seen a Puffin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Scotty # wrote: »

Gannet, Puffin, or any Gull really.

Never seen a Puffin :(

Had a Puffin in my hand - and its claws - many years ago on Great Saltee Island. :D Hard to pick a favourite but the Great Spotted Woodpecker would be high amongst them if I could just get to see one!

6306_medium.jpg
    Seen in the Phoenix Park recently - from http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/29578/Great_Spotted_Woodpecker.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

At the minute I particularly like gulls, especially black headed gulls which I think are very pretty (though noisy) little things in winter. Gannets are also very beautiful though I've never seen one close.
    I could probably sit all day listing my favourites :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I love pigeons. I know most people hate them and think they're diseased and bla bla bla, but I've had a great time feeding them from my apartment window and in the park. They're so fun to watch and very smart. Will always have a soft spot for pigees :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Vulture...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

charlemont wrote: »
    The Vulture...
    If this was to include foreign birds I would include this one, I have seen these glide and hover about the coast in Mexico amaizing to watch. the humming bird another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Goldfinch cause i am no expert but can spot this guy easily...love the red:D

now if it were foreign it would just have to be this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

i am sorry i do not know how to post the clip properly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Would have to be a Gannet for me, love watching them around Loop head and Kilkee. My challenge for the year is to see a Puffin !

C61DD35E76D54C5CA61F6060DA2C8E17-0000317791-0002109202-00800L-09FB77FB65EA42B3A11BBB11A172AACE.jpg

C071A0523D3A422E92DD7688D6EFE355-0000317791-0002109203-00800L-9C931121E9E64E09A58A81D31CF83A83.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

All birds of prey for me, magnificent birds could watch them soar all day.
    Got some fantastic photos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Birds of Prey for me, if i had to pick one it'd definatly be the kestrel. When i was on the lookout for birds as a child they were the most common bird of prey to see, and were easy to identify in the air no matter what the light was like or how far away they were because of their characteristic hovering! Even still when i spot one along the motorway i have to turn* and watch it 'til it's out of sight!

*Im never driving so its all good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Love them all but I have a soft spot for my starlings. Have had 40+ feeding in my small housing estate backyard during the snow. Hubby says they just wait for the woman with the saucepan of food coming.
    Was great to see a couple of youngsters watch in wonder as they swooped in and then out again when something disturbed them. We laughed at their open mouths...the kids that is..
    Dont mind cleaning up the mess either!!
    Won't complain this summer @ 4.00 am, as I have done before,knowing what they have come through this winter.

Advertisement