Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crows in Blanchardstown.

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Do you know why there are thousands of crows in Blanchardstown? They lurk around my neighborhood all day until the evening when they all fly away at the same time. Why do they do this? What are they doing there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,647 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Do you know why there are thousands of crows in Blanchardstown? They lurk around my neighborhood all day until the evening when they all fly away at the same time. Why do they do this? What are they doing there?

Probably a traditional gathering/feeding area - Blanchardstown until relatively recently was a small rural hamlet so the crows are just following probably a very ancient pre-roosting ritual:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Theres more to it than that i'm afraid... did you ever see the film 'The crow'?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

ohh freaky...the film, " the birds" is on rte at the min..eekkk :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My guess is they are looking for drugs...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sweet Jones

Thanks for the input. All solid suggestions.
    Any ideas on how I could become their master and commit them to do my bidding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,647 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thanks for the input. All solid suggestions.
    Any ideas on how I could become their master and commit them to do my bidding?

I was going to say "talk to Alfred Hitchcock" but its a little late for that;) - maybe the lovely Tippi might have a few Tips:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

They are looking for dead sheep in Sheepmoor, then flying away disappointed when they find none.

They have very short memories, so they do it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

There is a rookery in coolmine woods for as long as i can remember. theres always been loads of crows around Blanch. I live near there and see them all the time. if anyone knows of spots with wax wings in Blanch I would love to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

LostCovey wrote: »

They have very short memories

I don't think that's correct, I'm no expert on crows (yet) but I did watch a documentary once on them and after some students had caught and performed tests on a group of campus crows, these crows would caw any time any of the research team were spotted around campus.

Also, if you regularly feed a local crow(s) they will remember that you don't intend on harming them and will come back to you specifically to be fed. I also once read that if you use a certain call, even to the extent of naming a crow and call it, they will recognise this and if audible come (back) to you.

Again, I'm no expert but there pretty smart little buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Have a look at the video on this page!

Crows are more intelligent than some people!

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/interviews/interview/1202/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

crows rock! watch this also if you have an interest in them...

Joshua Klein on the intelligence of crows (Ted.Com)
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/joshua_klein_on_the_intelligence_of_crows.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

bc dub wrote: »
    Again, I'm no expert but there pretty smart little buggers.

Well maybe so, but that still doesn't explain why they live in the Blanch.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

They'll eat what Bull sharks swim past :D

Advertisement