Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of survival - loose parrot

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

A parrot crash-landed into our sitting room window yesterday afternoon. He sat there for a minute or two. We panicked a bit and sister went out with a big towel to see if she could get him into the house (we've an old birdcage stashed somewhere) But he flew off as soon as she approached him, looking relatively unhurt.

Judging by the cold weather, and the fact that he is flying around a housing estate, is there anyway he can survive? And could have found his way home?

I can't stop thinking about him. I feel so badly for the owner.

(x-posted to Animal and Pet Issues)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

It would depend on the species of parrot/parakeet, whether it could survive or not. However most parrot/parakeet are tropical birds and most are not adapted to cold weather. It will most likely not be able to get any food which will lessen it's chances further.
    You could try leaving some bird seed around your garden/back door (in morning) in the chance it might come.
    Hopefully it might be able to find it's own way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I wouldn't know, he just looked like a generic parrot to me, black beak, dark green plumage all over. Lovely thing. I will throw some of those peanut things into the front garden, good idea.
    I hope he had some sense of direction :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Some mixed bird seed or some budgie seed might be better. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It would depend on the species of parrot/parakeet, .

Yes - the likes of Rose-Ringed and Monk parakeets are doing very well in the wild in many European Cities such as London and Palma:)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yes - the likes of Rose-Ringed and Monk parakeets are doing very well in the wild in many European Cities such as London and Palma:)
    Yep. was surprised to see so many parrots flying around Hyde Park Serpentine and Botanic area of Amsterdam. i assumed that they were semi wild from a sort of open aviary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement