Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Allied - hopefully will sate small minds...

Options
  • 02-01-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Like the Father Ted episode...

"Allied stuff - we wouldn't be into all that" ;-)

I was coincidentally going to post this part of my collection today when I saw that ridiculous feedback post.

These are my allied WW1 medals - as usual click for larger image:

The Belgian Victory Medal - same as the other allied countries with the winged Victory statue and the emblems of all the allied nations on the rear. As usual it has the rainbow coloured ribbon.

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

50th Anniversary of the Ijzer Campaign:

This side shows the profile of the King.

DSC01370.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

The rear has the emblem of "Stad Nieuwpoort" meaning "City of Nieuwpoort" a coastal town where the Ijzer reaches the sea. This river is tidal and the lockkeeper opened the gates at Nieuwpoort flooding the German trenches and halting their advance. As a result they had to retreat to the opposite side of the Ijzer where they remained until ceasefire.

The next medal is known as the "Croix du Feu" or the Fire Cross (Dutch is Vuurkruis). Awarded to troops that came under fire on the front.

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

Next is my favorite of this bunch - the Ijzer medal. Awarded to all veterans of the Ijzer campaign. the ribbon is original but has clearly seen better days. Near Diksmuide there is a reconstructed trenchline on the Ijzer that can be visited today.

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Like the Father Ted episode...

"Allied stuff - we wouldn't be into all that" ;-)

I was coincidentally going to post this part of my collection today when I saw that ridiculous feedback post.

These are my allied WW1 medals - as usual click for larger image:

The Belgian Victory Medal - same as the other allied countries with the winged Victory statue and the emblems of all the allied nations on the rear. As usual it has the rainbow coloured ribbon.

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

50th Anniversary of the Ijzer Campaign:

This side shows the profile of the King.

DSC01370.jpg

DSC01371.jpg

The rear has the emblem of "Stad Nieuwpoort" meaning "City of Nieuwpoort" a coastal town where the Ijzer reaches the sea. This river is tidal and the lockkeeper opened the gates at Nieuwpoort flooding the German trenches and halting their advance. As a result they had to retreat to the opposite side of the Ijzer where they remained until ceasefire.

The next medal is known as the "Croix du Feu" or the Fire Cross (Dutch is Vuurkruis). Awarded to troops that came under fire on the front.

DSC01373.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

Next is my favorite of this bunch - the Ijzer medal. Awarded to all veterans of the Ijzer campaign. the ribbon is original but has clearly seen better days. Near Diksmuide there is a reconstructed trenchline on the Ijzer that can be visited today.

DSC01378.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

by collecting Belgian medals you could be accused of supporting child molestation or supporting slavery. I think people are suspicious of anyone who collects things that are not the norm, the norm being GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Fuinseog wrote: »
    by collecting Belgian medals you could be accused of supporting child molestation or supporting slavery. I think people are suspicious of anyone who collects things that are not the norm, the norm being GB.

"The only reason Belgian chocolate is so good is to get at the kids..." -Sorry I just had to! ;-)

Actually collection British stuff is not really the norm. It is something that interests me as I have a huge interest in WW1 and WW2. And I have a few family medals from WW1 and later, but seeing the king or queens head on them gives me an uneasy feeling.
    So they are not ones that I would openly show. As one of my friends said when he saw them, "not heros but traitors". This is BS as it does the Irish men and women that served a huge injustice. (And no I am not a colonialist! ;) )
    So if you want to be safe from any judgement then you have to collect American stuff.

I'll post up mine in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

"not heros but traitors". This is BS as it does the Irish men and women that served a huge injustice.

I think you are bang on the money here. I can understand all sides on this but I always see it as what it is, part of history, and particularly your history. Nothing to be ashamed of.
    I'll post up mine in a bit.

Please do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

So they are not ones that I would openly show. As one of my friends said when he saw them, "not heros but traitors". This is BS as it does the Irish men and women that served a huge injustice.

also the fact that the republicans were a small minority at the time in the country.
    i think a quarter of a million irish died in the first world war and id asssume there were alot more serving abroad for the british army than the amount of republicans in ireland during the first world war.

Mousey- wrote: »
    also the fact that the republicans were a small minority at the time in the country.
    i think a quarter of a million irish died in the first world war and id asssume there were alot more serving abroad for the british army than the amount of republicans in ireland during the first world war.

Exactly as you said. The Irish went to war for a number of reasons- firstly due to poverty and the good wage and pension that they could give to their poverty stricken families, but also "to fight for humanity" as it was sold to them. Not one of them was to "fight for the British Empire". The sinking of the Lusitania off the coast of Cork/ the murder of Catholic nuns/ priests in Belgium (among other things) played heavily on the people in very Catholic Ireland at the time. And of course these were used to great effect by the British to recruit here.
    If you read about it from the social aspect of men coming home from the trenches after 4 years of what was in their mind was "fighting for right", to be then outcast as traitors. Similar to Vietnam vets returning home to called baby killers.

Approximately 1/4 million Irish fought in WW1, and 49,400 of those Irish died between 1914 and 1918 with British forces.

And as far as I remember there were about 100,000 Irish in the British forces in WW2. (Correct me with exact numbers)

And that is alot of people. And only this year they were recognised for their efforts for the first time by the Irish government, and some still call them "traitors". :confused:

• Advertisement

Better late than never I suppose. I have nothing rare or exotic but it's a start. My Uncle died last year, he was very close to teh family an ddid alot for me over the years. He joined the RAF in 1945 at teh youbg age of 16 or 17 and was stationed in Germany for the clean up of the camps. Fo rthe next 20 years or so he traveled the world with teh RAF, from Borneo to Iraq. This year my Auntie asked me if I would take his medals as he would want me to have them. I was taken aback at how beautifuk they are even if they have Lizzy's mush on them. It was pbviously very sad for my Auntie to be handing them over. She also gave me her father's WW1 medals and her mother's WW1 Red Cross medal I was honoured to taked them. R.I.P.

Firstly my Uncles R.A.F. Long Service and Good Conduct medals, he left the RAF in 1969 and returned home to Ireland.

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0057-1.jpg

Smudge4.jpg
    Smudge3.jpg

My Auntie's Father's WW1 medals. He joined the Royal Navy for the war.

DSC_0042-2.jpg
    Smudge2.jpg

DSC_0040-2.jpg

DSC_0039-2.jpg

My Auntie's mother was with The Red Cross in Dublin during the war:

DSC_0048-2.jpg
    Smudge1.jpg

Then medals that I bought and were given as presents:

Belgian WW1 Victory medal:

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

A set of WW1 R.A.F. medals that I bought:

British WW1 Victory Medal:

DSC_0029-1.jpg
    DSC_0028-1.jpg
    WW1Townsend12.jpg

DSC_0034-3.jpg
    DSC_0030-1.jpg
    WW1Townsend8.jpg

A set of WW2 medals that I bought:

DSC_0005-1.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0013-2.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0020-1.jpg

WW2 Italian Star
    DSC_0002-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Some wonderful photos of those medals and great to know the family history behind them. The relief in some of those shots is incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Great medal photos!

a photo taken by a GI, not great quality, but still interesting
    "part of our German Prisoners, high ranking Officers in front"

POWgerhighranking1bb.jpg

have a few magezines, maps, a leather vicker carry case etc... aswell, sorry about the crappy images took them when I started collecting.

British Notes on Map reading
    also have the german counterpart
    mapreadingbrit1.jpg

British Magazines
    Tunisia and The battle of egypt
    Magezines1.jpg

British Booklet
    about the importance of west africa in terms of supplies, a base for aircraft and source of soldiers
    britpropagandafront.jpg
    britpropaganda3.jpg
    britpropaganda4-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Can I ask how people are photographing their medals? I can't get results like those above, I have a few bits I want to get pictures of and they come out as blurred messes.

• Advertisement

I have been practicing with an external flash over the last few weeks. I found that photographing medals or anything small and close up was very hard, especially at night with just room lighting. The camera’s own flash just gives nasty glare and washed out colours.
    I was given an external flash as a present and am using a Nikon D40 DSLR. But it is the external flash that makes it so much easier. I set the camera to manual mode and using a fast shutter speed use the big flash which I bounce off a wall.
    But photographing the shiny silver medals is still very hard as you have to try to avoid refection.
    So external flash and practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I had that problem all the time until I simply took the medals outside,can't beat natual lighting conditions.works a treat.

arnhem44 wrote: »
    I had that problem all the time until I simply took the medals outside,can't beat natual lighting conditions.works a treat.

Very good point. I was going to say that if you don't have a flash then just take them on a nice bright day. I always seem to be taking them at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Very nice collection and great to see family medals.
    Regards.
    KK

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I think people are suspicious of anyone who collects things that are not the norm, the norm being GB.
    Some will question how Irish you are if you have GB medals, and the same people will call you a Nazi sympathizer if you have German medals.

Lets call a spade a spade, and say what they are doing is trolling.
    DSC_0057-1.jpg
    I really do like the symbolism of the RAF medal, on the bottom left.

=-=

The curious thing is that I always respected those who flew their flying machines (Luftwaffe, RAF, & USAF), even at a younger age when I hated every Brit in existence :D

the_syco wrote: »
    Some will question how Irish you are if you have GB medals, and the same people will call you a Nazi sympathizer if you have German medals.

Lets call a spade a spade, and say what they are doing is trolling.

I really do like the symbolism of the RAF medal, on the bottom left.

=-=

The curious thing is that I always respected those who flew their flying machines (Luftwaffe, RAF, & USAF), even at a younger age when I hated every Brit in existence :D

There are a lot out there that can't see past there own narrow minded prejudices or else are just stirring the sh1t. As I said above one of my friends would look at these medals with distain.

You like the medal on the left?!
    Yes there is something special about pilots no matter what airforce they fly with. But with any airforce the pilots are the miniority, and as such my Uncle was in communications not a pilot. Still had some amazing stories from erecting telegraph poles in swamps to going on the lash in Iran, etc.

My latest addition to my Allied medals. Thanks to the Sheisse Meister for a nice Christmas present, I now have a Belgian WW2 Resistance medal. :)

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199-1.jpg

MF - not sure you are aware but the colours on the ribbon have symbology on that medal. The black respresents the dark days of occupation, the green the hope of liberation and the red the blood shed by the resistance.

Here are some more resistance medals of mine. First is the Defaulters medal - there are three ribbon variants. Green with yellow stripes emans the awardee refused to perform military duties for the occupier. Green with red means that they had been deported to Germany and while on leave refused to return. Finally green with white stripes means that the awardee refused to work for the occupier.

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01396.jpg

Next I have the Deportees Medal - awarded to anyone deported to Germany by the occupier. This medal is unique among allied variants in that it contains the swastika. Bearing the image of a soldier with Nazi armband holding a worker and telling him where to go.

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

Here is a WW1 medal of the 1914 to 1918 campaign I recently picked up. The detailed design is incredible (though does not show up so well in my photo). I like this piece quite a lot.

DSC01397.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

WW1 medals can sometimes be incredibly cheap. This original item cost 6 euro :eek:

Advertisement