Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly converted vegetarian

Options
  • 02-01-2011 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

So i've always wanted to try it and there's no better time than now to try, with the new year and all.
    I've done some research on iron and how it can be a problem for vegetarians and this what i've come up with:

The majority of the iron you consume is non-heme iron (plant food) which is harder to absorb than heme iron (animal food)

solution: eat iron rich food with food rich in vitamin C
    like a tomato salad with an omelette.
    Avoid food that inhibit iron intake like tea, coffee, phylates (wholegrain, brown rice) and calcium

I also play camogie twice a week and in ucc so i hope i don't become anaemic on the first week.

If there's anything else i should know about a good diet any advice would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=290778
    Iron:is another nutrient often thought to be deficent in plant based diets,and
    iron deficiency is indeed the most common deficiency in both vegetarians and meat-eaters diets.
    Whatever your diet,you should avoid drinking milk or tea a mealtimes because both calcium in
    dairy products and tannic acid in tea inhibit the absorption of iron from other foods.

Iron rich foods include dried fruits(weight for weight dried apricots contain
    four times more iron than lamb does)nuts(especially brazils),wholegrains,dried peas,
    beans and lentils,leafy green vegetables,molasses and egg yokes.Although iron may be absorbed
    more easily through meat,the plus for vegetarians is that they eat foods which contain good
    amounts of vitamin C,not contained in meat,and this boosts their absorbtion of iron.

Being a vegetarian and getting all the good stuff isn't too hard, it's harder for vegans.
    You have to look at what is in meat and therefore know what to replace, omega oils, b12, protein, iron etc. Fake meat would be good when starting off, then you just have very similar meals until you get used to it. If you are still eating dairy/eggs etc then I don't think it will be much of a problem for you. Vitamin c does increase iron intake, but I don't think you will even need it depending on what you are eating. Good luck and of course, ask any more questions that you want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

a lot of cereals are fortified with iron too

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Welcome to the Dark Side. There is plenty of information online and I've found this forum to be helpful. I think what you need to do is identify the essentials and have a few "go-to" meals that you know will satisfy these requirements. The key is to have lots of variety so that you are getting a range of nutrients and so you just don't get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Defiantly agree with the 'go-to' meal idea. I've three or four that i would always have the supplies for, if i'm lazy, or just not bothered putting effort in to something different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

OK, so I've never heard of the expression "go-to meals" before, but I'm presuming it a meal which you know how to cook and doesn't take much effort?

For me that must be the reliable (but often hated) pasta and sauce. Personally, I like it :) Or pasta and cheese sauce. Otherwise it would be soup (1 potato + 1 carrot + 1 onion + 1 stick of celery chopped, in pot, add hot water and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, until soft. Then whizz up and serve. Add a tsp of vegetable bouillon to taste), bulked out with some noodles. I guess plenty of people would see a stir-fry as their easy meal, but it's never been my forte.

I should really stop being so lazy and choose different, exciting, fall-back meals...

• Advertisement

OK, so I've never heard of the expression "go-to meals" before, but I'm presuming it a meal which you know how to cook and doesn't take much effort?

For me that must be the reliable (but often hated) pasta and sauce. Personally, I like it :) Or pasta and cheese sauce. Otherwise it would be soup (1 potato + 1 carrot + 1 onion chopped, in pot, add hot water and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, until soft. Then whizz up and serve. Add a tsp of vegetable bouillon to taste), bulked out with some noodles. I guess plenty of people would see a stir-fry as their easy meal, but it's never been my forte.

I should really stop being so lazy and choose different, exciting, fall-back meals...

You've probably never heard of it because I just made it up there:p I meant things that are quick and easy but actually nutritious, instead of a few oven chips or something.

I have to give that soup a try. I've never tried making soup. I love me a stir-fry. There's also a lot to be said for a quick tofu green curry. You can throw in a load of whatever vegetables are at hand also/instead. I'd make one now but I'm out of coconut milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

The vegetatrian jokes have started already ''what do vegetarians eat? Grains.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oh you'll certainly have fun with those people. Wait til you meet the 'do you eat fish?' brigade :P

Shouldn't that be "what do vegetarian zombies eat"? They can't really say anything, though. Just call them a corpse-muncher. You should definitely be prepared for a bit of teasing from your friends though, especially in the beginning. If they won't leave it alone, tell them you don't appreciate it. If they care about you they'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

People will drop it after a while op. :) Just laugh along, majority of people don't mean any harm. Although the "what you don't eat meat? What about burgers?" type questions can annoy you. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

whelpy wrote: »
    The vegetatrian jokes have started already ''what do vegetarians eat? Grains.:rolleyes:

the correct answer is "your ma" followed by a kick in the nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

No promotion of violence in here guys! Thanks ;)

Advertisement