Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Éireann: why are they still using imperial measurements?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I was listening to that extended weather forecast (12.55) on RTÉ Radio 1 a day or so ago and I noticed that during the sea area forecast the meteorologist referred to miles throughout it. I know Met Éireann finally changed to metric some years back so was surprised at this. Is there a reason why they're still holding on to the imperial system for the sea forecast? Is there no metric alternative?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wind strength is in Knots or Beaufort scale, the visibility is in miles.

My answer to your query is speculation with regard to a standard format between UK and Ireland. No idea what units the rest of Europe use for thier sea areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Even European countries use imperial for marine forecasts, and of course it's widely used in aviation too. It's not just a Met Éireann thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The shipping forecast uses nautical miles not normal miles (1 nautical mile = 1.15 miles). It's preferred in sea and air navigation because it's easier to read charts etc. using nautical miles instead of kilometers. Something to do with the Mercator Projection and how the curve of the earth can be divided into arcs of longitude, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

1 nautical mile is defined as 1 minute of latitude, so for every degree (60 minutes) north or south you travel, you cover 60nm (or 69 statute miles).

Advertisement