Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perpetual Motion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Magic magnets to the rescue again. :(

What always gets me about these free energy nuts is that they completely under appreciate what they claim to have discovered. **** never paying for your electricity bill again unlimited energy will have stupendous consequences for the world.

Economies as we know them will collapse. We will be able to produce almost anything with the unlimited power provided for free since it will cost nothing to mine the raw materials. We can automate everything so that people are no longer needed to work, we can power supermassive supercomputers to solve complex tasks. We will become like gods. But hey you also won't have to pay airtricity.

If you can build a machine with an efficiency only minutely greater than unity, which thermodynamics says you can't, all you have to do is keep linking up these machines to get ever increasing amounts of free energy until you have an infinite supply.

The first three laws of thermodynamics can be summed up as:
    You can't win (Conservation of Energy)
    You can't break even (Entropy is generated, you always dissipate a bit of energy when converting from one form to another)
    You can't get out of the game (You can't get absolute zero, the game marches on)

Here is a good article about magnets and free energy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solar panels can be ordered in the US of A for about $2 a watt.
    (you need to buy about $1,000 worth but they deliver - and it takes a lot of searching on the web and you have to do the control electronics yourself)

Show me any magic magnet machine that is remotely close to that price.

figure out a cheaper storage battery, we already know how to generate cheap electricity

The military spend a lot on nuclear reactors for submarines, and the CIA would love to have bugs with everlasting batteries, but you don't see this mentioned on those sort of sites. If the magic machine could only be made out of solid gold it would be cheaper then what the military are currently spending on these and things like radioisotope batteries.

I've seen crazy schemes that involve a million tonne gyroscope at the north pole to produce a few kilowatts. Ignoring the production costs , and the energy needed for spinning it up and the gyroscpic progression I just can't see how you could pay maintanence costs from savings of a few euro worth of electicity a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

the_economic_argument.png

xkcd explains why this wont work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

The periodic table of irrational nonsense :-
    http://www.crispian.net/PTIR/Nonsense.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is a great perpetual motion website here with some great wallace and gromit like devices that won't work

fludd.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

selecaoimagens17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

cavedave wrote: »
    the_economic_argument.png

xkcd explains why this wont work

On a related noteL:

Homeopathy A&E

In a world with perpetual motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

5uspect wrote: »
    In a world with perpetual motion.

fantastic!! but is that a cheat or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

5uspect wrote: »
    What always gets me about these free energy nuts is that they completely under appreciate what they claim to have discovered. **** never paying for your electricity bill again unlimited energy will have stupendous consequences for the world.
    Another one is "Imagine never having to charge your phone!"

I think this is a deliberate strategy to get the gullible to stump up money, the idea being to make it seem like the inventers themselves have no idea how valuable their invention really is, thereby giving the impression that they are likely to give away large portions of the company for relatively small amounts.

It is the equivalent of the hustler deliberately playing badly for the first few games in order to lure the marks in.

• Advertisement

Wasn't that the line used by Steorn?

It seems to permeate across the crooks to the cranks tho. A poster on one of the silly forums once declared he wanted free energy because he simply didn't want to pay his ESB bill. And yet I was the one called closed minded...

Advertisement