Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail an exam?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I can see a similar post but,
    If I fail an exam and then sit a repeat in august, is there a max mark I can achieve, ie a pass only.

If I get a low mark that isn't a fail can I still sit a repeat to try achieve a better result? or am I still limited by some maximum allowable mark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

anyone??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

AFAIK if you repeat you can only just get a pass mark.

If you pass first time I don't think you're allowed to resit.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

This topic is a bit unclear, well to me anyway. I recall being told that if you fail an exam and sit a repeat you can only achieve a pass grade i.e. D. However i know of a few classmates that did resits and got a higher grade than a pass i.e. B, B+.
    I also heard that if you fail an exam in your final year and do a resit and get a B for example the B grade is carried but your degree will only state a pass grade i.e. No 2.1 or 2.2 just plain old Pass.
    What part or parts of this information is true i dont know, i couldnt find anything on the site to back it up maybe someone should email and ask, just not me! as i have gone through five years of being confused i can handle another few months, unless i fail :eek:
    And i have never heard of anyone trying to resit an exam they have already passed. So don't know if it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Thanks for the replies, I am not in my last year, so will see how I go.
    Just feel I am going to do badly, bit all over the place for this set of exams, will see.
    I think the overall gpa is on the final year, so if I pass I dont think I will bother re-doing them, just thought if I got a D, that I may try improve on an exam by doinbg in the summer, I may have to resit one exam anyway as I dont feel confident about it at all.
    Never felt this bad for a set of exams before.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

In a non award year you can repeat to up a grade to improve your GPA to give progression.

In an award year you can repeat to up your grades but the award will usually be a pass only regardless of the overall GPA achieved by the new grades.

Some awards work differently but in general that's it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement