Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback thread on militaria collectors and nazism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Brings back memories of the father ted episode with the two priest that collect Militaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

This is the reason there are so many lurkers rather than posters in militaria. There is still a stigma to sollecting such items - be it Soviet, Third Reich etc. Why would someone with that attitude be looking in the Militaria forum anyway? If they go to a fair on the continent with that attitude they would be shocked!

I mean WTF! No-one posted any Neo Nazi comments! Pure historical interest in the items with no strings attached!

Maybe this forum should be made members only to keep such small minds out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Maybe this forum should be made members only to keep such small minds out!

I know where you are coming from but I believe that would be counterproductive. The forum has only a small membership anyway and if we make it members only then there wouldn't be much going on. Also we have nothing to hide and I am sure we can rebuke any troublemakers quite easily with good arguments ;)

Yes Preusse I agree with you. I shouldn't post when all riled up ;-)

Anyway militaria collectors in general have more interest in history than average, for the simple practical reason that they would get fleeced by shysters at the markets otherwise!

I agree, there is a lot of historical knowledge within the collector community....of course, we are nerds to an extend. ;)

And part of what makes it so appealing to us is that we want to own a piece of history...that's the thrill of collecting militaria and other historical items in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

generally, people who get on their high horse about us collecting items from the Third Reich have a political agenda, some of them can be dangerous, which is why I am wary about revealing my true identity here.

others object to us collecting militaria in general. i remember sharing a house with a hippy who referred to my bayonets as murder instruments.

Yes, I've come across these. That's why my collection is not really on display. Definitely not the over-the-top Father Ted style display (love that episode but I haven't a rescued SS-Sturmbannfuehrer Herr Mueller sitting in my living room) :D

Thyere seems to be a weird notion also about Germans nowadays as well. Just look at the thread M1 Garand in the WWII Military forum. According to this it makes one poster feel "uneasy if Germans owned a gun". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

I get a similar response from showing strongly pro-republican friends my small but growing British medal collection. I have a huge interest in the British campaign doing the world wars and of the Irish that went to foreign shores to fight with them and the reason behind it.
    That does not make me an imperialist colonialist or pro-British. As a "semi-intelligent" person I can make the distinction between the Anglo-Irish issues and abuse, and a bigger issue of the world at war.
    And also my huge interest in Nazi's- yes, I said a "huge interest", is because that was such a facinating time in human history, one of the darkest moments in the history of mankind. And as a intelligent person that is sickened by the Nazi way of thinking, I am still fascinated and try to understand it all. And as a result I have started collecting.

But I have to say that while most people frown at my British medals the same do be shocked at the sight of my German WW2 ones. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Preusse wrote: »
    Definitely not the over-the-top Father Ted style display (love that episode but I haven't a rescued SS-Sturmbannfuehrer Herr Mueller sitting in my living room) :D

Every one I have ever met through militaria collecting loves that episode.

I could commment about the poster behind those 'Malitaria' forum posts but it would possibly get me banned for extreme rudeness.

Morlar wrote: »
    Every one I have ever met through militaria collecting loves that episode.

I could commment about the poster behind those 'Malitaria' forum posts but it would possibly get me banned for extreme rudeness.

I can imagine. Better to just argue your point. I know you're good at that ;)

• Advertisement

Preusse wrote: »
    Yes, I've come across these. That's why my collection is not really on display. :D

But Preusse - not displaying your items is self censorship and weakens the forum. Effectively you are proving the critic right in that there is something wrong with collecting such historical artifacts. So post them away - i would love to see them. But it is true about teh stigma, I have open minded friends sho do not collect but love to see the items; And others where I know not to even mention it...
    But here in the "Militaria" forum - we should be free to post away our collections.

If it was not for collectors much of this stuff would be lost to time or be destroyed. The simple fact is that these iems have passed through many different hands from generation to generation. The fact that some are still pristine and will outlast us and pass into other hands is compliment to he care and respect we treat them with.

I seen guys like Morlar posting original photos - think of the care needed to preserve those. And since the negatives are no longer available it is a huge responsibility. So it is very insulting when someone makes comments and accusations like that.

But I am sure their intentions were good, however most people with (in their minds) good intentions ususually end up making things worse for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Unbelievable... but sadly it's not an uncommon reaction among the ignorant.

He doesn't even want the subject talked about. Have it removed from the history books, or better still, have a big communal book burning of degenerate literature with any references of the nazis or indeed the German military of any period.
    Oh wait, that sounds a little familiar..... (but probably only to us).

And why didn't anyone tell me about the section selling iron crosses?? ;)

Maybe they did not tell you about it to protect you from yourself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

OMG is that poster for real!!!.Personally I feel everyone who avails of the forum does so in a mature respectable manner.If the OP on the feedback forum has the idea that people are supporting Nazism in any shape, way or form purely because they have decided to collect German militaria must be in my opinion very sadly misguided.The collecting of militaria from whichever period and associated to whichever armed force should be of no concern to anyone as long the people who use the forum adhere to the rules set out in the forum charter,as regular users of the forum will be familiar with, they will know that the forum is moderated on a daily basis and any inappropriate posts are dealt with in the appropriate manner the same as all forums on boards.ie .Militaria collecting is a fascinating and rewarding hobby which I personally find educating as time passes,also as pointed out already the items held in collections which are cared for by members like ourselves will be there for generations to come to further their knowledge to our past,after all we are merely custodians who enjoy what we do.Long may the Militaria Forum live on.

HerrSch.... (sorry still sounds odd to my German ears ;) ),

I didn;t mean to say I wouldn't post here about my items. I have (search some of the older posts and you'll see) but I meant I don't have them in my home on display.

Oh I get you, I thought you meant on the forum!

I am sure lots of people on here are the same.

My username - but its got such an easy flow and intonation!

Here is a song which although spelt differently sounds exactly as my username!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiPayNjf4Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I cant believe I missed that whole discussion, I would have enjoyed that. It is easy to get mad at idiots like that but it is probably unfair to call him an idiot, he is more uneducated than anything else. Unlike some on here I only collect 3rd Reich militaria, nothing else interests me, not German WW1, Allied WW2, nothing but TR, I actually only buy stuff with swastikas on it. That I presume in the OP's opinion would make me an ultra nazi for which I also presume I would have to have a deep seated hatred of the Jewish race as this is what most peoples impression of what nazis are about. In all my 36 years I have never knowingly met an actual Jew not to mention have had any bad dealings with them so I would find it quite hard to hate them as a race. I have absolutely no desire for Germany to become the world master race nor do I wish for more living space to the east, I also have black friends, gay friends and 3 disabled nephews who I am quite proud of. Add to all that I am a catholic so I dont think I really fit the typical nazi profile.
    I got quite annoyed recently about my neighbour not sending the postcards i mentioned in an earlier post and I was glaring at him out of the corner of my eye for a week or so, I was a bit offended that he thought my passion was something to be ashamed of but then I realised that this is my passion and not his and I cannot expect him to have the same level of understanding as I have about it. He has no interest in it so he remains uneducated about it and can not be expected to think about it with the same level of rationalization as we do.

check out todays Mail on Sunday for a most ignorant article on militaria.
    its entitled Antique Dealer trades in Nazi Medals pg 65(cue shock and horror)

its full of interesting revelations such as Reisepässe (passports) which you apparently needed to have in Nazi Germany.

most of the things he has are repros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Fuinseog wrote: »

its full of interesting revelations such as Reisepässe (passports) which you apparently needed to have in Nazi Germany.

cant find it on the net, take a couple of pics or scans and post them

its a bit odd after this article from 2008 i found on the site while searching "Nazi"
    Why buy Gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fuinseog wrote: »

Is there any chance you could post this article online & do you know who the journalist is ? I take it they are reporting this as something which is shocking or should be stopped - do they present any kind of a coherent case or outline what their objection is based on ? I am also guessing their only objection is third reich items.

• Advertisement

Is there any chance you could post this article online & do you know who the journalist is ? I take it they are reporting this as something which is shocking or should be stopped - do they present any kind of a coherent case or outline what their objection is based on ? I am also guessing their only objection is third reich items.

technology and I do not always work well together. The article was written by one Philip Ryan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It was the usual Mail standard of "journalism" and yep it was the nazi :eek: stuff. Father Ted aint in it. I wouldnt waste the few milliwatts it would take to scan it TBH.

Ive gotten this guff before with watches of a military nature, especially if it's of German origin. Doesnt seem to bother them which era it is either. :rolleyes:

Just so I'm not posting and running(and to extend my middle finger to the muppets) :) Here's a recent purchase on the right. 1940 Alpina "KM 592" as issued to the Kriegsmarine. The chrome over brass on the case is mostly gone(as usual) but it has the correct winding crown and the dial is in really good nick for one of these. Normally they're very faded. Original (scratched) crystal too. And for balance in case Daily Mail readers are about :p, on the left is a 1916 Longines wristlet as used by the British(and French and Russian and oh yea, Germans. Ooops! :))

145216.jpg

Apologies, pic aint great.

Regular Lurker passing by. Runs back to the ticking forum.. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

These are beauties. Would wear one of these every day...

That all Nazi promotion collecting stuff nonsense... In Prague Kbely museum they have restored and re-painted Me-262B/Avia in her original camouflage... minus that swastika thingy, apparently to stop neonazis from gathering around the aircraft. WTF is wrong with this world, like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea and no swastikas in airfix type kits. Yea like it made the previous generations nazis. It is all a bit daft alright. IMHO the more they fetishise it in law, the more a forbidden fetish it will become.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Lovely watches! Are they both working? I have a few classic watches but not of the military nature. But I was considering a 1940's German watch but didn't go for it.

All this erasing the bad history is bad and extremely wrong. No swatiska's on Airfix models?! Seriously WTF?! "99% accurate model aircraft"..... :mad:

the Horts wessel melody has been removed from Apple's online tunes according to the IT. presumably they will also remove The International.

the Germans tried to forbid the swastika from with the Eu, but thankfully nobody was interested in such silliness.

those interested in such things such check out the glass doors with swastikas on the main door of the National museum in Kildare street. maybe I should not spread this around as the ever
    tolerant Social Workers Party would probably smash the doors if they ever got wind of it.

Playing with toy soldiers as a kid the cheap chinnese made whermacht soldiers always came with the modern German flag (balck, red and gold). it is little wonder people associate this flag with the nazis.

Yep both working and working very well too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Lovely watches! Are they both working? I have a few classic watches but not of the military nature. But I was considering a 1940's German watch but didn't go for it.

All this erasing the bad history is bad and extremely wrong. No swatiska's on Airfix models?! Seriously WTF?! "99% accurate model aircraft"..... :mad:

It's not only Airfix... the problem is, that most kit mufacturers have their EU headquarters and German modellers are very large group of customers.
    And so the decal sheets of the kits heading for the EU market have their swastika part cut off to avoid any legal action agains the kit manufacturer. Nothig new, the good thing is, that more and more kits do come with the swastika bit attached.
    Anyway, you can always buy aftermarket sets with swastikas of different sizes and types.

I was gonna post this in the other thread, but counted to ten first... :) It does cover the bases on how I feel about this kinda over reaction.
    triple_facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement