Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seeker's allowance means tested query

Options
  • 02-01-2011 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me please.

My boyfriend is under 25 and getting Job Seekers Allowance and as he is living at home, he's being means tested and as his parents are earning a certain amount. He's only entitled to €51 a week.

I was wondering if he moved in with me and therefore is deemed independent, could he be then be reassessed and get the full Job Seekers Allowance? ie the full amount of €188 (new rate January 2010).

Thank you in advance, I appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

he'd be means tested against your earnings afaik, he'd become dependant on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm unemployed too, so would that be a good thing for us to move in together?
    I'm also living at home, but over 25 (so not dependent)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

if you do move in together you both still wont get the full rate, also if your thinking of rent allowance you would not be entitled to that until you are renting for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

SlamDunk wrote: »
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I'm unemployed too, so would that be a good thing for us to move in together?
    I'm also living at home, but over 25 (so not dependent)
    I'm unsure about that - it could work out that you you claim for yourself and him so you'd get a half rate along with your payment but I could be totally wrong.
    The best thing to do would be to ring the Social welfare dept tomorrow (if it's open?) and enquire. Hope it works out for ye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

Well the only thing to do is to ring and check anonymously i think is the best way, what you think?

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement