Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten needs loving home, Galway

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

DSC00268.JPG

DSC00263.JPG

DSC00281.JPG

Still Lookin for loving home-a few pics of this little fella!
    Hi all..I am in Mervue area and I have a gorgeous male tabby 8 month old kitten who really needs a new kind loving home! I need to re home him because we have no garden and I feel the poor little fella needs to get out and play! He is very loving, playful, cute and affectionate. He has been neutered and has all vaccinations. I'm very sad at having to re home him but can no longer bear seeing him sat looking out our apartment window or trying to scramble out when we open it!! If anyone is interested in offering a kind loving home where he will also be able to play outside please contact me here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

How big is the apartment? Does he have many toys?
    We have three indoor cats and one of them occasionally tries to make a break for it.
    Cats can be very happy and lead very contented indoor lives. Don't be so hasty in trying to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Heroditas wrote: »
    How big is the apartment? Does he have many toys?
    We have three indoor cats and one of them occasionally tries to make a break for it.
    Cats can be very happy and lead very contented indoor lives. Don't be so hasty in trying to get rid of him.

I second that Heroditas. I have 4 cats and they're all indoor cats. One of them's FIV+ so it's easier if they're all kept in so there's no favouritism ;)

They have free run of the house and have two large cat trees, several scratching posts. 5 litter trays, two feeding areas and a huge selection of cat toys to keep them amused. They're all perfectly happy, contented, healthy cats and have not suffered in any way from not being allowed to roam about the neighborhood. They sit at the windows and watch the birds on the bird feeder and the other neighborhood animals come and go without suffering from any stress.

Like all cats, somewhere or something new is very appealing and they all want to get in rooms just because the door is closed and I have a feeling it's the same with OP's cat and the outdoors.

I wouldn't give up on your cat, OP, just because you think he's suffering in any way from being kept indoors. It's probably just the opposite. He's safe from traffic, from disease, from fighting with other cats, from dangerous plants and pests and from general injuries. Most animal shelters prefer to re-home cats to indoor only homes for those very reasons and they know a lot about cats and their welfare.
    If there's another reason that you can't keep him, then that's fine, but I really wouldn't give him up purely because he can't go outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I felt like I had to post on here due to very recent personal experience. OP, if you truly feel that someone else can give your little one a better home then by all means keep trying. And fair play to you for being big enough to do so.
    However, like some other posters have said, your kitten can live a more than content life indoors if you put in a tiny bit of effort.
    Like I said, I speak from experience. On Monday 20th December our beloved Ollie (2 years old) was hit by a car. He survived by some utter miracle and is currently confined to a cage going through a long but necessary healing process.
    We have four other cats; Lucy and Oscar 1.5 years (brother & sister), Ruby 1 year (rescue) and our newest addition Mylo 5 months (also a rescue). Also, Fez, 8 years old, who cunningly adopted us by meowing incessantly at our door (as soon as he realised what such touches we are).
    Anyway, on the day of the accident after we came home, absolutely gutted, we immediately took down the cat flap. It might seem a bit impulsive but we had been debating the indoor v's outdoor thing with a while. We had come to the (in hindsight foolish) conclusion that keeping them indoor would be cruel and unusual punishment. We chose to ignore the dangers; traffic, wild animals, poisoning, diseases, accidents etc etc.
    Until one day the inevitable happened. I can't even explain to you the anguish we endured over the Christmas holidays not knowing if Ollie was going to survive. We totally felt (and still do) that we failed him.
    Since then we have made all the necessary adjustements to make all of our newly indoor cats happy. Loads of climbing posts, lots of high perches, 7 litter trays etc. We know what makes each of them tick and therefore can keep them all entertained. For example Lucy loves our laser toy, Ruby loves nothing better than sitting looking at our aquarium (newly purchased) for hours on end. Oscar loves hunting for the treats we leave hidden around the place and curling up in bed with us. And Mlyo, being a kitten, loves EVERYTHING... all of the above plus some!!!! Ollie is still quite poorly so isn't too active but the rattle of a toy mouse still peaks his interest.
    We are in the process of building a confined outdoor space at the moment because we do still think that fresh air is essential for all animals.
    Anyway thats my two cents. Don't know if it helps, but maybe. :rolleyes:

Advertisement