Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubbing brake pads

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hello folks!

Since cycling in the snow (once) my brakes have been acting up (front & back). The front brake pads are rubbing the wheel, and I've adjusted them myself & tightened the cables etc, but after 2/3 times of pulling the brakes they just start rubbing again.
    The back brakes keep coming loose, and have the same issue as the front aswell.

My local bike store aren't open again until Tuesday afaik, and I don't want to chance cycling any further with wonky brakes :(!!

Has anyone any suggestions on what I could try?

My bike is a Giant Dash 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Take the brakes off the bike and give them a good clean. There is prob a heap of crap caught in the calipers. Snow isnt as clean as you think.When you take them off and clean them make sure they respond in your hands ie push the pads together and make sure they return when you let go. It will do no harm to replace cables and outers as some moisture will have got in and stopped the cables from running freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I had the same problem yesterday - the back brake kept sticking after I had applied it. Basically it was full of gunk from the road. A good clean ( I took them off the bike) and they were fine.

Take off the wheel and move the brakes through a slightly larger than normal motion as you clean out the dirt etc. You should also be able to get at them better

Advertisement