Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardman Team Carbon

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying the Boardman from Halfords. It seems a very good bike for the money and have reduced it by €250 from last years price to €1249. I have to wait for them to get my frame size (small!) in stock. I looked at a medium and I was very impressed with it.

Before I commit to buy, are there any other makes / models of road bikes up to €1500 which I should consider?

And how do Halford's fare out in terms of setting the bike up correctly, and overall customer service if I have problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

ribble have some amazing deals

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

macken04 wrote: »
    ribble have some amazing deals

Are they still charging the earth for delivery to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

The stuff on ribble is very good. However, does buying a bike on it qualify for tax relief on the "Bike to Work" scheme??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

shamwari wrote: »
    The stuff on ribble is very good. However, does buying a bike on it qualify for tax relief on the "Bike to Work" scheme??

The scheme doesn't care where you buy the bike. Your scheme may do.

Lumen wrote: »
    The scheme doesn't care where you buy the bike. Your scheme may do.
    I'll have to ask the scheme administrator nicely so. Incidentally, he's done the WW200 a few times, so he probably knows where I'm coming from.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

There isn't better value than the Boardman bike, I was pretty impressed at how light it was straight off the shelf - feels like it should cost double. I don't have one, but I did set a couple up for some mates. Shame you have to buy it from Halfords, which means that it is often slow to arrive in stock (Ribble are often guilty of this as well) and the setup can be hit and miss depending on which store you get it in. Not a biggie if you are competent with a spanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

Pro carbon now has 400 off.
    Only 1600 for Sram force and the bike weighs like a feather

Would buy if I could get away with it at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

+1 on the Boardman Pro Carbon. I had one for over a year ..its a SUPERB bike...unbelievablely light and fast great handling and very forgiving on our not so good road network. I only traded it recently...

I've had a look at Ribble's Bike builder and I like what I saw. However it isn't clear on their website whether the bike is actually assembled or not. Anyone know what the score is?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

shamwari wrote: »
    I've had a look at Ribble's Bike builder and I like what I saw. However it isn't clear on their website whether the bike is actually assembled or not. Anyone know what the score is?

If you're getting a good deal, I'd say you could give someone €50 to assemble it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

If you're getting a good deal, I'd say you could give someone €50 to assemble it.
    Ah no ,I can assemble it myself! But I just wanted to know whether a bike purchased on that site is shipped assembled or in kit form.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I bought a Gran Fondo from Ribble last year and it came fully assembled. All you have to do is put the saddle and handlebars on.

The postage to Ireland is exorbitant as far as I remember, but I got someone on shiply (http://www.shiply.com) to get it to me (in one piece) for 20 Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Well, if nobody else is going to mention the http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPR/sl-pro-carbon-sram-red, I certainly wont:).

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

ive been giving online a serious look and i cant find a bike better than the ribble stealth for the money. Its just the delivery is mad.

Im goin for one b4 the summer gets here 100% gona stick the sram force on it think it came in at 1400. A steal IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

have the team carbon for the last year and extremely happy with it, just make sure that you check the nipples on the wheelset,as they have a habit of being loose or loosening very quickly. but overall i must say that im very impressed with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SnakePliskin

Also bought one of these for the commute to work a few months ago. Havent cycled in years but it certainly seems a very nice bike. I went to halfords in coolock and they were very helpful. Bike didnt come with pedals though apparantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

. Bike didnt come with pedals though apparantly!

They never do :). Always a source of hilarity with non bikers.

"Two THOUSAND euro??? For a bicycle????? And it didn't include PEDALS?????:eek:"

Reminds me of my wife trying to explain to her mother how she got a new bike built up for around 2 grand....not including wheels. :)

Couldnt believe it. I got to halfords just before closing on a thursday night to collect the bike and to be fair to them the manager (I think) was very polite about picking out pedals,lock,lights etc and even advised me where to buy cycling shoes online. Also when I went back becuase I couldnt work the gear shifts the guy who had built the bike looked personally offended when I said i thought they werent correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Was there actually a problem with the gears in the end? Sram can take a bit of getting used to.

Post up a pic of the bike. Though pics don't do them justice. I think they're smashing bikes.

No problem with the gears just my own ignorance. Might need an adjustment soon as maybe not as smooth as when i got it. This irish weather does no favours with the amount of dirt still on the roads. Will post up a picture tomorrow when i get back from work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement