Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journalism and Visual Media

• 02-01-2011 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone doing this course?
    I'm in fifth year and have shag all hope of getting enough points for Journalism in UL or DCU so Griffith looks like my only option.:D

Just wondering what the course involves, workload, amount of lectures etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I did the course and loved every minute of it. If you put the work in then you'll get the rewards.

It's very wide with subjects in first year, and chances are there will be stuff you won't enjoy, but with each year you get to do more subjects that you want to do and leave the ones you don't. This also will affect your workload. Someone doing TV and Online in third year will be on their feet non-stop compared to someone who is doing something else.

The lecturers (for the most part) know what they are talking about, and are a wealth of knowledge.(It's a shame that Sean Egan isn't with us anymore, he was a great journalist to learn from in the college. His classes were far from academic, but I learnt alot more about journalism from him than anyone.). The college also have plenty of contacts and can help you out if you want to work on getting published.

What field of journalism are you looking to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Sounds a lot better than I hadexpected, tbh.:)

Sports writing of some sort, preferably soccer.
    Is there any part of the course that works on that aspect of it that you know of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Sports journalism in third year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joncol

I'm extremely interested in this course. I'm 26 (mature student). Were there any people my age in the class???

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ahiyalove

Joncol wrote: »
    I'm extremely interested in this course. I'm 26 (mature student). Were there any people my age in the class???

Thanks

I'm in my final semester of this course. Will be very sad to finish in May. Have really loved every minute of it.

I was worried when I enrolled because I was 22 and hadn't gone to college straight from school. I think my age has definitely helped me throughout the 3 years because I came in with a little bit of life experience and wasn't as distracted by the transition in to college.

Looking at my year, the majority of students came straight from school, but there's a lot of mature students. Once we got over the hump of first year (everyone going mad because it's up to you if you go to class etc) the remaining students gelled really well together. It's a small college, a small course and you will get to know everyone in your class over time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement