Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polar C500 or Garmin EDge 500

Options
  • 01-01-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Similar thread to earlier. Not sure which to go for. Think the polar has the edge looks wise. Seems to have whole load of features. Anyone know what software is like compared to garmin. Will be my first time being able to download significant data from the ride. Have been using an app on my phone til now but it's very limited. Do they sell both models in cycleways? Have voucher for there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Have had numerous Polar products in past but recent use of Garmin 500 beats it hands down. Download to 'Garmin Connect' is simple and as comprehensive as you`d want. Also only 3 months old and I`ve just downloaded a free software update to the computer head unit. Oh yea i`m pretty crap with tech stuff and even I managed this little beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Garmin......PERIOD!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

JUst bought edge 500 today in cycleways and I'm short 2 items- heart rate monitor which it said on box was included plus the cadence magnet. have checked and double checked but no sign of them. not back in town til Sat. Wonder what m chances of getting them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

There are two versions available for the Edge 500; With and without the Cadeance sensor and HRM. Did the shop mess up?

Love my Edge...........and here's why.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53335684

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Chris in Cycleways provided me with a HR monitor. No hassle at all.

The cadence magnet was stuck to another part and I was fooled into believing it was part of that part if ye get my meaning. Just gave a tug and away she came. Used uit for first time on spin to Howth today. Still usssing it out. Does the timer stop when the bike isn't moving or what's the story there - do I have to press start stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Does the timer stop when the bike isn't moving or what's the story there - do I have to press start stop?

Glad you got it sorted.

I think there is an option to this start/stop automatically, I use mine manually. It does have a very usefull warning feature where a warning and will come up if movement is detected and the timer is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

It will "auto pause" when you stop and resume when you get going again.

If you do stop the timer and it detects motion you will get a message.

Be prepared to hear lots of little beeps - I am sure there is a way to silence it but they are handy for when ye forget to restart the timer.

Good gadget.

However I wouldn't rely too much on some of the numbers, especially the "Max Grade" - according to ride with gps I had a max grade of 33.7% recently :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Hi,
    I've just got my edge 500 and was wondering whats the difference between "Irish ITM" and "Irish IG" when you're at the initial setup stages? I selected the "ITM" just to get started but maybe ye can set me straight.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Not an expert but I think IG is the older and ITM is newer and to some sort of European standard.

See http://www.osi.ie/en/faq/faqs2.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Thanks for that. Everything seems to be working fine having selected the ITM setting but i haven't used it in anger yet and was just a bit unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It's a great gadget. Best feature is to transfer an upcoming sportive route plotted on imap my ride or similar and import using the training centre software. Then you can see when the worst hills are coming up and save your energy or have an energy bar in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

ashleey wrote: »
    It's a great gadget. Best feature is to transfer an upcoming sportive route plotted on imap my ride or similar and import using the training centre software. Then you can see when the worst hills are coming up and save your energy or have an energy bar in advance.

Didnt know that.....can the 500 give you directions on a route youve already mapped?

It can tell you if you've gone off track but I don't think it gives driving directions but I can't quite remember. I used this feature on the Leinster loop for the first time and then tore knee ligaments playing football the next day so it's gathering dust at the moment. Hope to get back this week so I'll see. I'm on my phone so you'll need to type in the link but here are screenshots of route use

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36728&ra=true

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Similar thread to earlier. Not sure which to go for. Think the polar has the edge looks wise. Seems to have whole load of features. Anyone know what software is like compared to garmin. Will be my first time being able to download significant data from the ride. Have been using an app on my phone til now but it's very limited. Do they sell both models in cycleways? Have voucher for there.

Garmin is the the only way to go.

With garmin you can upload to your account on their website and/ or use their software on your mac/ pc to record it too. You need to buy the maps for your own computer but not on the website though. The data recording is excellent and beats having wheel magnets and sensors.

Advertisement