Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Portfolio Course

Options
  • 01-01-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

I know it's a bit early to be talking about, but is anyone considering doing it for the two weeks?

For people who have experience of doing it before- is it any good on helping you do your portfolio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭snicket

Hey, I'm a bit late I know, but hopefully you'll see this :P

Did one last year, it was really good! The teachers are so nice and helpful and you'll probably learn a lot, we did a good variety of things. It did help me get organised and motivated for the portfolio, got a lot of good tips as well as generally improving my art. I ended up doing the ncad brief, she did a short run through of that with us, but the whole course was aimed at a more general portfolio.
    I'd definitely recommend it!
    One small thing, they send a list of materials you'll need and if you don't have them already it could end up costing a lot - although I did use mine on the actual portfolio so it was well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

snicket wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a bit late I know, but hopefully you'll see this :P

Did one last year, it was really good! The teachers are so nice and helpful and you'll probably learn a lot, we did a good variety of things. It did help me get organised and motivated for the portfolio, got a lot of good tips as well as generally improving my art. I ended up doing the ncad brief, she did a short run through of that with us, but the whole course was aimed at a more general portfolio.
    I'd definitely recommend it!
    One small thing, they send a list of materials you'll need and if you don't have them already it could end up costing a lot - although I did use mine on the actual portfolio so it was well worth it :)

Hey:)

It actually sounds good. If you don't mind me asking what kind of materials did you have to bring? And was the class a mix of mature and secondary school students?

Charcoal, variety of pencils, indian ink, acrylic paint (just red blue yellow black and white), a2 and a4 sketchpads... there was more i'm sure! It was all pretty specific,it listed the exact kind of paintbrushes you should have (I ignored this and I don't think it made any difference except in price :P)

Mostly secondary students, there was only one mature student in my class.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Hiya,

I'm thinking of doing the portfolio course this summer too.

I have a few questions for people who did the course last year:

> What size are the classes and where do they actually hold the portfolio course in the college?
    > Is it a waste of time doing it if you want to do Film and Television? My art teacher said it was but is the course not aimed at everyone who has to do a portfolio?
    > In other words is this course basically just an art course?

Thanks!

There was about 40 I think, split into two classes. Yep, it's in the college.
    Yeah it was basically an art course, but we got some great tips on putting a portfolio together (how to lay out your sheets, use lots of different media, etc) I'm not sure how useful it would be for a film course? There was a lot of drawing from life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Snicket, what did you or people in the class bring in for the man made parts and organic objects?

Advertisement