Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sound meter

Options
  • 01-01-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

lads and ladies i'm looking for a sound meter that will measure up to around 160db, looking for recomendations on what would be suitable or if any of ye know where i could get a new or 2nd hand one or even hire one, will need to be battery powered, and hopefully cheapbiggrin.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well there is a relationship between accuracy and cost. A quick google shows devices for a little as €20 but I didn't check any specs.

I've used Brüel & Kjær stuff in the past and found them good. You could ask your local college if you can rent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

all the ones i've looked at only go up as far as 130db though, i need one that will go to around 160db

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you knew the frequencies of noise and the performance of materials you could use soundproofing to reduce the noise to a measureable amount. Not all materials reduce sound evenly at all frequencies so you might not get away with it for white noise.

or you could simply measure the sound from further away if you are mixing up dB and dBm ,

160 dB is kinda loud, close up and prolonged it's somewhere between
    "wow his ears are bleeding" and "we're going to need a mop"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

its for doing some tests with rifles to see how loud they are with and with out sound moderators on them, a few of us in the shooting forum want to see what is the most effective sound moderator (or silencer as they're called in hollywood) and some of the firearms that will be used can be as loud as 160db
    buying a cheap 130db soundmeter and placing it a few metres away might be a good option, thanks for that

Advertisement