Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike bottom bracket clicking

Options
  • 01-01-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi Guys, Happy new year to you all.

I am hoping someone can advise. I have a 1 month old Canyon AL 8 and after just 63 miles I have noticed a clicking noise coming from the right crank every time it gets to 10 past 1. Two clicks. One right after the other. I though it could be my recently installed Shimano SPD-M 770 using SPD mountain bike shoes but the noise is still present even when I use normal civilian footwear. The clicking does not happen if I am off the saddle, and if I pedal use force on the left crank only. I very surprised I have this noise so early into my bikes life.. I am careful with gear choices, I never overload drive, never use excessive force in silly gears, I'd say half of the mileage is uphill but I still take care. I noticed on one run of 10 miles that it had actually stopped all together towards the end but it is back again today.

Any advice on how to diagnose what the problem is would be great. Bottom Bracket is Shimano Deore XT.

Edit! It also happens in any gear any chain position so its not a chain derailleur issue.

Thanks!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think your problem is your imperial style of cycling. Try doing kilometers rather than miles and I'm sure everything will be alright;).

Seriously though, if you have only done that distance, take it back to where you got it from (assuming not mail-order) - they should sort it out as part of normal aftercare service

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Beasty wrote: »
    I think your problem is your imperial style of cycling. Try doing kilometers rather than miles and I'm sure everything will be alright;).

Seriously though, if you have only done that distance, take it back to where you got it from (assuming not mail-order) - they should sort it out as part of normal aftercare service

I will change my speedo to KM's see if that helps. : ) Mail Order from Canyon.. I have sent them an email so we will see what happens there. I suspect it is something very trivial like a loosening problem or a lack of grease on the new pedals. It could still be the seat post flexing even when riding off it. Hopefully a re grease of everything and a good clean will sort it but I could do with more ideas before doing a dreaded 8 week send back. Would prefer to just let Cycle Superstore sort it for me rather that sending it back.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's always worth getting it checked over after a month or two anyway, just to get the cables tightened as required and make sure nothing has worked loose. A lot of people are confident doing this themselves, but there are a few boardsies who dabble in bicycle maintenance - this could be a cheaper option than one of the shops depending on location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Grease required - could be pedal axle to crank, crank to bottom bracket or a strip down of the bottom bracket.

Easy enough with the right tools - a 32mm bottom bracket tool and a 15mm pedal spanner and some good quality grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

could be the saddle rails as well as you said its not there when your out of saddle.

push the nose up and down with your hands and you will hear it if its there

• Advertisement

Thanks very much guys. Lubed up the seat post and a little to the brackets on the saddle and the pedal threads. Also bought the park tools chain cleaner and a decent cleaning set for the cassette. Will report back on the result later.

Can I ad a little lube to the pedal cleat areas or is that best left dry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Too lazy to check but is it an Aluminium frame....If it is just give seat post clamp, saddle rail clamps, stem bolts and chainring bolts a quarter of a turn with the allen key.Sounds like something has just bedded in and you would be very surprised at where you think a click is coming from but only to be somewhere else. If it is happening when you are in the saddle at 10 past 1 ie the part when most stress/power is on the peddle I would put my money on the seatpost/seat area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Often that clicking can be a chain that needs cleaning and lubing too. The other possible is a spoke about to give way though normally this is more apparent when out of the saddle and pushing hard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My money is on the headset needing a tighten, that always sounds like the BB when in the saddle for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Don't be too sure it's the BB! I had what I thought was a clicking BB which would click some days but not others. Went on for months. During the big freeze, I handed it over to Micheál at Cork Bicycle Services and asked him to fit a new BB. Much to my surprise, he found that the BB was fine. The clicking was actually coming from the junction between the stem and bars. He undid the bolts, greased them, tightened them up again and that was that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Bottom brackets are so easy to service nowadays, nothing difficult and beyond anyone who possesses a wee bit common sense in servicing/replacing.

A click is annoying, but the fact it's in sync with pedal stroke fits more with transmission than headset. I had a click once that took a while to locate, it was the front mech cable end hitting the crank....I felt daft that time!

Don't assume because its new its been set up and greased correctly - I bought a new Trek last year that had virtually no grease in the BB and headset, it was clicking on the second time out.

In my experience a click is down to the last thing that was changed/adjusted.........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A click is annoying, but the fact it's in sync with pedal stroke fits more with transmission than headset. I had a click once that took a while to locate, it was the front mech cable end hitting the crank....I felt daft that time!

Same thing here, replaced the cable and it was poking out into the path of the crank, didn't know what it was for awhile either.

The other time I had it, it sounded like the BB in sync with the pedal stroke but it was my shift in weight on the handlebars as I peddled was causing the knocking noise through the slightly loose headset (and I mean as slight as it could be, 1/8 of a turn with the allen key and it was gone).

Solved. > Aluminum Frame. I cleaned and re greased the seat post, cleaned and re greased the new SPD pedals and I also added a very, very, small amount to the vertical edges of the cleats on the shoes and the clicking has gone. I think, but I dont know for sure but I think it was the seat post, even when I was pedaling out of the seat, I believe the Frame was flexing when my power was at 10 to 1 and an un-greased seat post was giving me a nice little click sound which was travelling down to the bottom bracket. But 50/50.... could have been pedals as well.

Thanks so much for all the really useful replies. As soon as anything goes wrong the first thing that comes into my head is you lot at Boards!

Advertisement