Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still find snow and ice interesting?

Options
  • 01-01-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

I know some people here think snow and ice is interesting weather. Personally the thought of it bores me to death, snow and ice has been so common over recent winters and for those of us on higher ground we get it every year anyway whether it is a mild or cold winter.

Just wondering how people feel about it since snow and ice has become more common for all after a period of lovely mild winters.

Do you find snow and ice interesting? 126 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 126 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Yep, definitely love snow. I think snowflakes are just so beautiful and could spend hours grabbing them in my gloves and examining them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I do wonder what people do for a living that love it and want it all the time.
    The milder spell has been great for people who work but on this forum we have people who seem to be looking for the next cold spell to come immediately as if milder weather was somehow a disaster.

I notice my cattle have eaten less since the milder air moved in, saving me money and it has saved me several hours work each day.

I just love mild winters and early springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Nothing nicer than a bright, still winters day with snow on the ground, reflecting the sunshine. Lifts my mood no end and is so much more agreeable than the usual dank, dark, muddy, drizzly mess.

But then, I'm no farmer, I just need to drive to work and have no problems with that (only with other drivers :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i will admit if a foot and a half of snow was a regular occurrence, snow could lose its charm for me, but as it isn't, and likely will never be, i don't see myself becoming indifferent to snow. I don't think i'd ever tire of cold and frosty conditions, though. The weather we've had over the last few days has just reaffirmed that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Min, you will just have to accept you are in the minority on this one (a bit like me and my opinion on regional threads). I love snow and ice and your 'happy thaw thread' was about the most irritating thing on here all Christmas - especially given that we had to make do without OwenC's words of wisdom.

This is a weather forum where people look for weather events to interest them - i.e snow in winter, hurricanes in spring, record breaking summer heat and autumn to be as short as possible so that we can get back to the snow!

It is not representative of what the greater population want, if you want that you should probably go to the Kilkenny forum and open a weather related discussion there, you'd probably come across many who share your view rather than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I do and always have loved snow but I hate the icy conditions, not being able to travel and the water restrictions it's causing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I loved the snow and ice and wish it had been deeper, I was so depressed when the last major streamer moved south and missed me.

When the snow thawed and the green returned, for the first time that I can remember, I did not like it.

It reminded my of a story told me in a museum of old farming equipment and the brightly painted colours, blues, read, yellows and I was told it was because the green was so depressing that the farmers painted their equipment so brightly.

For the first time I see a point to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

For god sakes not another one of these polls lol

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108113

Im sick of the mild and wet weather , it bores me to death , wish we had a Cold snowy winter every year end of story.

Min, you will just have to accept you are in the minority on this one (a bit like me and my opinion on regional threads). I love snow and ice and your 'happy thaw thread' was about the most irritating thing on here all Christmas - especially given that we had to make do without OwenC's words of wisdom.

This is a weather forum where people look for weather events to interest them - i.e snow in winter, hurricanes in spring, record breaking summer heat and autumn to be as short as possible so that we can get back to the snow!

It is not representative of what the greater population want, if you want that you should probably go to the Kilkenny forum and open a weather related discussion there, you'd probably come across many who share your view rather than mine.

I am very interested in the weather, I post on this forum all year round. Why should I be moved to post about weather on the Kilkenny forum when this is the weather forum?
    I have seen some describe the current weather as boring, I think it is great and I am enjoying it, should the people who are bored with milder air be pushed off to post somewhere else because there are more than me on this forum who enjoy the milder air?

Many people were happy with the thaw, I don't think the majority of the population wanted to continue to live in the deep freezer. I think it must be people who have nothing to do that would want no break in the cold, the rest of us needed a break, it is not normal winter cold. Before it was exceptionally cold if the day only got to zero as highest temperature. This winter so far we had highest temperatures in some places that didn't get above double negative figures. It has only brought hardship to many people.
    I don't mind a normal winter, the snow and ice are gone less than a week, loved the milder air...which is weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

No, don't want any frost or snow.

It is dangerous in my line of work.

If I want snow, I'll go to Canada or Norway for a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Min wrote: »
    I don't mind a normal winter, .

We are in a normal winter in reality. The resent spell of warm winters was abnormal. Some of the records for Ireland are only 80 years old but historic events would suggest our winters were very severe and our storms stronger than anyone alive ever experienced.

I don't mind a normal winter, the snow and ice are gone less than a week, loved the milder air...which is proper weather in my opinion, but i recognise that lots of other people using this forum do not share this view .

Fixed it for you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I like:

Driving on it/walking through it.
    Looking at the scenery covered in it.
    Taking photos because of it.
    Shooting/tracking in it.

I dislike:
    My sheep having little to eat.
    Can't haul a trailer unless I want to visit the ditch.
    People bitching and moaning about:

How lethal everything is :rolleyes: (It's not out to get ye).
    How they can't go/get to ABC or D, when in fact they wouldn't have gone anyway :rolleyes:

To be honest its pointless coming on here arguing with other people over reasons to prefer mild weather over cold or vica versa. Just accept that everyones different. You may find it hard to imagine why anyone would like the Cold weather , others may find it hard to imagine why anyone would like the mild weather. Winter is winter afterall , Ireland has milder weather for the other nine months of the year or usually more, and that itself in the other extreme of hot weather has its own disadvantages e.g. droughts , skin cancer from the suns rays etc. That doesnt stop people liking the hot weather though. Same way disadvantages with snowy weather wont stop snow lovers liking the cold weather. Live and let live :)

Pangea wrote: »
    To be honest its pointless coming on here arguing with other people over reasons to prefer mild weather over cold or vica versa. Just accept that everyones different. You may find it hard to imagine why anyone would like the Cold weather , others may find it hard to imagine why anyone would like the mild weather. Winter is winter afterall , Ireland has milder weather for the other nine months of the year or usually more, and that itself in the other extreme of hot weather has its own disadvantages e.g. droughts , skin cancer from the suns rays etc. That doesnt stop people liking the hot weather though. Same way disadvantages with snowy weather wont stop snow lovers liking the cold weather. Live and let live :)

well- said senor pangea:cool:

gbee wrote: »
    We are in a normal winter in reality. The resent spell of warm winters was abnormal. Some of the records for Ireland are only 80 years old but historic events would suggest our winters were very severe and our storms stronger than anyone alive ever experienced.

Going on current records it is not a normal winter. December was the coldest December ever recorded, so it is likely no one alive in Ireland ever saw a colder month of December.
    One would have to argue the mini ice age period during the Maunder minimum period was normal to say this is normal.
    Who knows what is normal? I read on the NASA or NOAA site that we only have a good record for about 4 centuries and before that it is sketchy. There is evidence that periods of very mild winters was normal, then one could look at a different period and say severe winters was the norm.
    A normal winter for me has mild weather, cold weather, some windy weather, wet weather, calm and drying weather. It is not lets have snow today and still be looking at the same snow weeks later, that is the kind of snow that made 1947 famous. Thankfully we had nowhere near 1947 levels of snow.

Fixed it for you:)

I wouldn't say proper weather, weather is weather whether it is weather you like or whether it is weather you dislike.

Pangea wrote: »

I would agree except, the only months last year with no snow here were in:
    May, June, July, August, September and October.
    So just 6 months with no snow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I totally agree with you Min, I find the limited mobility induces severe boredom after a couple of days. I'm sure it's great if you have a 4x4 or live in a town/city, but if you don't, or even worse you are in the countryside and reliant on public transport like me then you are stuck in the same place for weeks.

And while I do enjoy the snow covered scenery, after a few days of seeing the same thing I find its gets pretty mundane.And then when I attempted to walk up to Brandon Hill to get what would have surely been a most spectacular view of a snow-covered south-east Leinster I found I couldn't get up the ice covered road :(

Thats a bit of an overstatement, you had mild weather in many of the months between the snow. You cant seriously be arguing that Ireland in the past twelve months had six months of sustained cold and six months of mild weather, It was still 70:30 in favour of milder weather at least.
    Thats beside the point anyways, the point being you either accept the cold weather and the fact that many people love it or you continue to moan about it and argue with everyone who does loves it. :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say proper weather, weather is weather whether it is weather you like or whether it is weather you dislike.

I agree. Which is why the thread is rather futile;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I am very interested in the weather, I post on this forum all year round. Why should I be moved to post about weather on the Kilkenny forum when this is the weather forum?
    I have seen some describe the current weather as boring, I think it is great and I am enjoying it, should the people who are bored with milder air be pushed off to post somewhere else because there are more than me on this forum who enjoy the milder air?

Please don't go brainwashing everyone on te kilkenny forum into thinking snow is bad. :P
    gbee wrote: »

Coldest december on record, sub zero IMT, most of a month with snow cover, none of these are normal in ireland.

Or just 6 months with snow.

In seriousness though, you are living on high ground so snow is going to be a fairly regular occurance for you even if it isnt for us.
    You're just unlucky to have a farm in a place like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

snow is great for a month. wonderful, beautiful.. lovely... then the novelty wears off and i just want it to be warm & sunny again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Snow is always going to be interesting in our boring climate

Apoligies if this has been posted before. It's a cool time lapse video from New Jersey, if we got that much snow, things would get v interesting!
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=55432

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Horse_box wrote: »
    Snow is always going to be interesting in our boring climate

Apoligies if this has been posted before. It's a cool time lapse video from New Jersey, if we got that much snow, things would get v interesting!
    http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=55432

i like the way the clock got buried every 2 hours or so . . :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I just like extremes, whether it be cold, snow depths, wind speeds, heat, thunderstorms etc.:D - my ideal climate would be Moscow,Chicago, Montreal etc.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

for the last number of years there has been little to differenciate between our seasons, we were getting excessive ammounts of rain winter, summer, autumn, spring,
    I absolutely hate rain more than any thing else...
    the last few years of getting a bit of snow(I live in the SW)has made the copious ammounts of rain we recieve a bit more acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

The people who moan about the snow are the same people who moan about the rain (even though they say they'll never moan about the rain again :rolleyes:)
    people moaning kind of ruined the snow for me. We were without water for a few days over Christmas but you get by. Most people were in the same boat.
    Moaning is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

i will admit if a foot and a half of snow was a regular occurrence, snow could lose its charm for me, but as it isn't, and likely will never be, i don't see myself becoming indifferent to snow. I don't think i'd ever tire of cold and frosty conditions, though. The weather we've had over the last few days has just reaffirmed that for me.

Well said!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I lived for many years in tornado alley in Kansas and then up near Canada in Duluth, Minnesota where close too 100 inches of snow was the yearly average. Not to mention multiple consecutive days of below 0 fahrenheit. They could deal with it as it has been the norm since the place was populated. It still made life difficult at times and mid winter you did long for Spring. However you got used to it.

However over here in Ireland we are not prepared for it and don't know how to deal with it. Not to mention i hate the type of snow that falls here. But i still like to look out and see a heavy snowfall. It's just the aftermath that i hate. I'm in my 20's and for me i am too old to be out making snowmen and running around in the snow. Yeah i do like to walk in a fresh snowfall but even that novelty wears off. I'm lucky that i work from home so i wasn't affected by it. But i do have to wonder why so many people on here want more and more. They must not be affected by the snow and i also wonder why they want more when they are sitting on here posting updates every 2 minutes. If you love snowfall so much shouldn't you be out in it?

Advertisement