Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting as Mature Student

Options
  • 01-01-2011 5:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Hoping to apply for accounting as a mature student (I'm currently 23), with my History MA. Only four spots open - what is the likelihood of me getting in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

Hard to know really.

When I did Finance, similar to accounting and share 50% of the same credits, I remember there being a mature student in the accounting class. I do know he wasn't part of second year so I'm unsure as to what happened to him.

BSc. Accounting is a tough enough course and although it does start from scratch it does up the level fairly quickly so there's alot expected from students.

It really will depend on the calibre of the other applicants. I can't imagine the places being given to someone who doesn't have a relatively high level of academic ability or alot of work experience as the course would be tough academically and in demand due to the presumption of potential work prospects post graduation.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but best of luck with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭JeremyH

Orizio wrote: »
    Hoping to apply for accounting as a mature student (I'm currently 23), with my History MA. Only four spots open - what is the likelihood of me getting in?

Mature students are usually assessed by way of interview so you should try to be very well prepared in advance with a good insight of what is demanded of students on the course and why you want to choose accounting as a career. Definitely meet with someone in A&F before you submit your CAO app.

Since you already have a degree, you could also try one of the accounting postgrads:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/accfin/PostgraduateProgrammes/

MBS in MIMAS and the Higher Diploma in Accounting & Corporate Finance would both be open to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Thanks for the replies lads. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

JeremyH wrote: »

Since you already have a degree, you could also try one of the accounting postgrads:

MBS in MIMAS and the Higher Diploma in Accounting & Corporate Finance would both be open to you.

Thanks - would I not struggle heavily in these post-grad modules without a finance/accounting degree in the first place?

• Advertisement

JeremyH wrote: »

Both of these look very interesting - is there anyone here who has experience in doing either one of these after doing a different discipline?

Thanks - would I not struggle heavily in these post-grad modules without a finance/accounting degree in the first place?

Both are aimed at people from non-Accounting backgrounds so you shouldn't struggle as long as you are willing to work.

MIMAS also contains an Information Systems focus so that may not be for you, although it does have the benefit of a 6 month work placement and is a masters qualification as opposed to a dip.

Just a quick question, as I've done the personal statement and plan on getting this finished by Friday. This has probably been explained to me before, but the info on the CAO website has me a little confused, so to clarify, may I apply online, then put 'personal statement is in the post' in the personal statement area of the online application, then put my typed personal statement in the post along with my leaving results, degrees etc?

Just a quick question, as I've done the personal statement and plan on getting this finished by Friday. This has probably been explained to me before, but the info on the CAO website has me a little confused, so to clarify, may I apply online, then put 'personal statement is in the post' in the personal statement area of the online application, then put my typed personal statement in the post along with my leaving results, degrees etc?

Put "see attached documentation" in the box. The CAO will print your online info and use it as a cover page with the rest of the posted docs attached.

Last pedantic/retarded question, but as the CAO site is vague on this part, is it essential to have leaving/university results stamped by the schools you went to?

• Advertisement

Last pedantic/retarded question, but as the CAO site is vague on this part, is it essential to have leaving/university results stamped by the schools you went to?

Whooosh. No idea. Any apps I've seen have had a printed page from CAO with subjects/grades. I never saw an original transcript or stamped printout.

Can't CAO get your results from your original CAO application?

I'm going by this, but am almost certainly getting confused...

http://www.cao.ie/help_files/speccat_instr.htm

I'm going by this, but am almost certainly getting confused...

http://www.cao.ie/help_files/speccat_instr.htm

I think (and I'm not sure so you might want to ring CAO or UCC admissions office) the non-standard section refers to e.g. if you had done a computing course in a private college etc. A qualification but not an official 2nd/3rd level qualification (not fitting in the Level 6/7/8 etc.).

I'd say you should give UCC admissions a call tomorrow just to be sure (ask for mature students office).

Sorry I can't be of more help. I normally only see the forms after submission.

Thanks for the help Jeremy - can anyone clarify completely on this stamp thing?

I've applied for this today through PAC, rather then CAO where the courses didn't come up. Presumebly this is correct as I am applying for a post-grad course.

I've applied for this today through PAC, rather then CAO where the courses didn't come up. Presumebly this is correct as I am applying for a post-grad course.

For which?

If it's the BSc in Accounting you are applying for, then you have to go CAO.

If it is one or all of the HDip/MBS courses then you go via PAC.

The h-dips indeed, no interest in doing a 3-4 year course if I can help. Thanks as always, the quickness of your replies is quite something. ;) :pac:

The h-dips indeed, no interest in doing a 3-4 year course if I can help. Thanks as always, the quickness of your replies is quite something. ;) :pac:

Gmail on the phone is a curse! No break at all from email.

Advertisement