Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone not use their phone while driving??

Options
  • 01-01-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Is there anyone out there that doesn't use their phone (holds it up to ear or texts) while driving?? I see a huge amount of people doing it every day and rarely see anyone pulled into the side of the road to take a call.
    Is this law being enforced. I'm just ranting now because a woman at the front of the traffic light queue today was too busy texting to realise the light was green, and then stalled..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

if your writing a text while driving, for 2 seconds out of every 3 (40 seconds per minute, to dramatize it) you arent concentrating on the road.

its not really worth the risk of being in an accident and hurting someone, never mind the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'll be honest, Im constantly doing it but Im always on the look out for guards in mirrors etc. I have not be in a near collision yet because of it. I think you should put a poll up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Is there anyone out there that doesn't use their phone (holds it up to ear or texts) while driving?? I see a huge amount of people doing it every day and rarely see anyone pulled into the side of the road to take a call.
    Is this law being enforced. I'm just ranting now because a woman at the front of the traffic light queue today was too busy texting to realise the light was green, and then stalled..

I place my iPhone on silent and upside down when I'm driving. I can multitask fairly well but I would never hold a phone / text when driving. Its just stupid I think. Your mind can't be two places at once. I even feel distracted on handsfree.

I never get though whats so critical that it can't wait til one is stopped or at their destination?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Tbh I'm guilty of it at times because it's work related and it could result in me having to turn the car around or go somewhere else. When you're stuck in traffic or somewhere with no space to pull in then it's a last resort.

There's not one situation where texting needs immediate attention, you don't text an ambulance when you break your leg; so all texting while driving is completely stupid and irresponsible.

And as much as I don't like to say it, in my own experience women are the biggest culprits of text-driving by a long, long way.

Plug wrote: »
    I'll be honest, Im constantly doing it but Im always on the look out for guards in mirrors etc. I have not be in a near collision yet because of it. I think you should put a poll up.

where do you live so i can avoid that area like the plague.

like i said, **** the points from the guards, how would you feel if your lack of concentration killed someone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I hope you don't take anyone else with you when you go

andyseadog wrote: »
    where do you live so i can avoid that area like the plague.

like i said, **** the points from the guards, how would you feel if your lack of concentration killed someone?
    They only brought in that mobile phone law a few years ago and since that everyone is like 'if you use a phone while driving you'll kill someone' :rolleyes: I suppose I might add in I don't text only make calls.

I hope you don't take anyone else with you when you go
    I shouldn't have said anything:D

They only brought in that mobile phone law a few years ago and since that everyone is like 'if you use a phone while driving you'll kill someone' :rolleyes: I suppose I might add in I don't text only make calls.

just how would you feel if your lack of concentration killed someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I never use my phone in the car. I put it on silent and drive. The longest I drive for without stopping is about two hours as that's the furthest away family lives. I can easily live without my phone for that length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't but I admit that I have done so on a couple of occasions, 99% of the time I just ignore my phone.

just how would you feel if your lack of concentration killed someone?
    In fairness I don't be looking at the ground or staring at the phone, I have my eyes on the road and look in the mirrors occasionally like your supposed to do.

In fairness I don't be looking at the ground or staring at the phone, I have my eyes on the road and look in the mirrors occasionally like your supposed to do.

so if i was on the phone at the wheel when i knocked down your wife/ child/ mother/ dog whatever, you wouldnt use that against me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I do.

so if i was on the phone at the wheel when i knocked down your wife/ child/ mother/ dog whatever, you wouldnt use that against me?
    But how would I know your on the phone at the time of the incident. In my mind most mobile phone related crashes are probably related to making texts rather than just making a call. Im a caller rather than texting person.

RSA now in a few weeks its illegal to talk to someone in the car:D

But how would I know your on the phone at the time of the incident. In my mind most mobile phone related crashes are probably related to making texts rather than just making a call. Im a caller rather than texting person.

RSA now in a few weeks its illegal to talk to someone in the car:D

if needs be, it can be very easily discovered when the phone was last used and where, never mind witnesses.

talking to a passenger is totally different. to use your phone, you are driving with one hand, which is not enough.

if needs be, it can be very easily discovered when the phone was last used and where, never mind witnesses.

talking to a passenger is totally different. to use your phone, you are driving with one hand, which is not enough.
    Changing the channels on the radio or changing gear. I thought it only takes a split second:rolleyes:

Sorry if I sound like im a troll but im not, i just think making calls is ok but not texting. Sorry again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I take calls using my blue tooth which cuts in across my radio etc.

Texting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Stheno wrote: »
    I take calls using my blue tooth which cuts in across my radio etc.

Texting no.

I used to use handsfree too but I like the silence in the car, so so peaceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Has anyone (as a passenger) asked the driver to stop using the phone when driving?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

should you be posting on Boards whilst driving?:D Oh TODAY...missed that bit

well "I do" is my answer to your question (I do NOT use my phone except on handfree that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

no, i dont, i hate people who use their phone while driving.
    the laws of the land should allow people to be shot on sight of using a phone.
    my friends brother had both his legs chopped off due to an idiot using a phone while driving.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

stoneill wrote: »
    Has anyone (as a passenger) asked the driver to stop using the phone when driving?

Yes, I had to ask a taxi driver.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i did a fair bit of browsing during the six hour snowy madness of getting home last monday. . . but then again, it's in a cradle stuck to the windscreen so apparently i broke no laws (or so i've been told, device has to be handheld to be in breach of the law apparently ??????)

other than that, i put a bluetooth stereo in the car when i first got it, pretty simple solution. . .now it just looks like i'm talking to myself when driving alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You're on camera. If you actually see the cop car it's actually after you, they won't necessarily have seen you in person, they'll have a pic sent to them from control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Has anybody ever watched how odd people behave when they are on the phone?

An airport departure lounge is the perfect place for observation. Only look at those that are actually moving. They tend to walk in circles / stand in stupid places / bump into people / stop in the middle of traffic ...in short they are a general nuisance to everyone around them.

How does placing this sort of uncoordinated behaviour into a moving car make it safe all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a Bluetooth kit in the car that's wired into the stereo so I make and receive calls all the time.

I don't think its distracting though - if anything people often ask me if I'm still there because I've just trailed off mid conversion (while looking for a gap to change lanes etc), and I don't text n drive as it's impossible with a touch screen phone anyway!

As for the holding the phone = less control argument, I suppose that's true in most cases but I drive an automatic so don't need a hand for gear changes and I find I have LESS control if I have both hands on the wheel - unless I'm taking a roundabout or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I was nearly hit side on at Stillorgan junction lights (I was on Trees Road turning onto N11 Wicklow bound) for us was green I was third car from start of the queue. A guy in a van broke the red lights. He managed to stop just in time although he did not touch/crash my car but the gap before impact was just about 4" and it was going for driver side. FYI all loose items that were in his van where shifted towards the front due to his emergency stop. He mentioned he did not see the lights. It was quite obvious that he did notice. I had a lucky escape.

Anyone who is constantly looking in mirrors for Guards is not concentrating on the job in hand ie driving. You might think that a bit harsh but when your at the receiving end you will pull over or ignore the phone until safe to make that call. I would consider myself very lucky that I did not loose my life through no fault of my own but for a person on a mobile talking.

Stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

theteal wrote: »
    . . . but then again, it's in a cradle stuck to the windscreen so apparently i broke no laws (or so i've been told, device has to be handheld to be in breach of the law apparently ??????)

There is still due care and attention, you can be done for talking to your passenger and speaking to someone on the phone if the member takes the view that you were concentrating on the conversation too much.

You can also be done for changing the channel on your push button radio, CD etc, drinking from a bottle '''' the list is endless actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Never - I know I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the two things at once! I wouldn't even use a bluetooth kit, it's bad enough that I have a radio to fiddle with.

Advertisement