Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - Dundalgan Irish Cream 70CL @ €4.99

Options
  • 31-12-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

First I've seen of this, so I suspect its a christmas only thing. Wasnt going to post this but I need to save my liver at this point.

I'm no drink connoisseur but damn this stuff is good. Its no baileys, but for the saving I have no problem with it. There is another one for 7.99 but I havent tried it.

Googling Dundalgan doesnt come up with much, its some no name lidl rebrand it would seem. Anyways, if you're in lidl you may as well try it. I've bought 3 so far....
    DSC01834.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ive had this a couple of times. Its OKish on its own but mix it with Kaluha/Tia Maria and milk and you wont know the difference. Great price compared to Baileys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

First I've seen of this, so I suspect its a christmas only thing. Wasnt going to post this but I need to save my liver at this point.

I'm no drink connoisseur but damn this stuff is good. Its no baileys, but for the saving I have no problem with it. There is another one for 7.99 but I havent tried it.

Googling Dundalgan doesnt come up with much, its some no name lidl rebrand it would seem. Anyways, if you're in lidl you may as well try it. I've bought 3 so far....
    DSC01834.jpg

Saw that in LIDL Galway the other day as well... not actually tried it yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I haven't tried this yet either, I usually buy the Aldi one which is lovely, I'd recommend it, the closest match to Baileys, called Ballycastle, it's also €6.40 per bottle. Lidl have this on special now, the normal price from Monday will be €6.39: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.wfo.p.Irish_Country_Cream__ There was strange timing for this special offer, from the 27th. December, by that date most people would have already bought their Christmas drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Oracle wrote: »
    I haven't tried this yet either, I usually buy the Aldi one which is lovely, I'd recommend it, the closest match to Baileys, called Ballycastle, it's also €6.40 per bottle. Lidl have this on special now, the normal price from Monday will be €6.39: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.wfo.p.Irish_Country_Cream__ There was strange timing for this special offer, from the 27th. December, by that date most people would have already bought their Christmas drinks.

BallyCastle is quite nice and smooth..

I assume the sale is because they did not shift enough over Christmas and it's clogging up stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I wonder if this is a distilled spirits or fermented spirits drink. The fermented varieties are cheaper, since the excise tax is lower :)

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I dunno the process for making this kinda stuff but according to the label its a mix of cream wine and "spirits", so would you tax it based on fermentation for the wine or distillation for the spirits?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Interesting question that !

I'm sure chemists can tell where the spirits come from... :)

I expect the trade who manufacture declare the makeup when the tax is paid.:rolleyes:

They may not always make it very clear on the lableing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jj_smith

It's back on the specials list for £3.99. I think it's great mixed with Tia Maria - Original Baileys is great on it's own; but overpriced if you tend to mix it like I do.

Advertisement